Home
I would like to rebarrel my SS Rem 700 ML. The rifle is currently a 54 cal and I want to keep it that way. It will be used to shoot 425+ grain lead conicals as sabots are not legal to hunt with in my home state.
I purchased the rifle used and fired a few sabot loads threw it to see what it would do. The sabot stuff ran sub 2" at 100 yards. When I switched to lead conicals my groups jumped to about 6". I tried at least 4 different bullets with various amounts of Goex FFG and never really bettered that performance. The current barrel has a loose area in the bore. I'm guessing that loose area is the problem.
I have seen several people talk about PacNor as a source for rebarreling, but I don't see a .540" option, and I would really like to keep it a 54. Does anyone know of any suppliers of suitable blanks?
There are several people pulling barrels off 700 ML's to make .45 cal smokeless muzzleloaders. You could probably find an original .50 or .54 cal Rem barrel pretty cheap. This shop converts Remingtons to smokeless and probably has some take offs. http://smokelessmz.com/700ml.html

Also making an inquiry on Dougs Message Board forum will probably turn some up.
2nd for Dougs board.....several sml builders on there....
I know a builder who has some .50 cal barrels. I don't know about .54 though.
© 24hourcampfire