Home
Posted By: bigblock455 To beautiful not to shoot - 11/25/14
Out with the Accura V2 and the 270gr Federal Bore Loc bullets.

The 2 shots on the right are with a bore cot installed, the other 4 on the left are without the bore cot.
[Linked Image]

Next up was 110 grains BH209. I swear, this rifle does NOT like 110 grains at all.
[Linked Image]

It was just to beautiful NOT to shoot today! I mean look at this! Its in the high 40's, a little windy here and there at times, nice bright warm sun and to top it off, a flock of turkeys came by while I was driving the ATV back to the shooting range!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: To beautiful not to shoot - 11/25/14
I wanna like you man. I really do. That's the truth.

Don't bury the sling stud into the bag, and you will have even better results...... wink
thats the best part! The sling stud is actually built into the stock so it will not get in the sand bags way. I've got some videos to of the shooting, just need bandwidth to update them.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: To beautiful not to shoot - 11/25/14
So the stud is recessed into the stock? Not a horrible idea, and not the first to think of it. Never knew that, but you know that I am not very familiar with said rifle. Have given thought to same, but most hunting rifles are simply not designed with "benchrest ease" in mind....
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
So the stud is recessed into the stock? Not a horrible idea, and not the first to think of it. Never knew that, but you know that I am not very familiar with said rifle. Have given thought to same, but most hunting rifles are simply not designed with "benchrest ease" in mind....

You don't have a problem trashing a gun in almost every post that you're not familiar with.
Posted By: tmitch Re: To beautiful not to shoot - 11/26/14
Originally Posted by BarHunter
You don't have a problem trashing a gun in almost every post that you're not familiar with.

You can direct that statement towards the person you're trying to defend.
Was hoping this would be a sidelock of some kind
Posted By: eyeball Re: To beautiful not to shoot - 11/26/14
For sure.
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Was hoping this would be a sidelock of some kind

I can do that! I have been needing to test some 2f olde eynsford at 150 yards in my 58cal Hawken. Just have to pre measure some charges and head out tomorrow if the weather is ok.

I will also have a video to add to this post. I was testing to see if bore cots will change POI for me like they did some years back. 100 yards wasnt a huge change but still noticeable.
Originally Posted by tmitch

You can direct that statement towards the person you're trying to defend.

I'm not defending anybody. I'm just saying.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: To beautiful not to shoot - 11/26/14

I'd not say that. I help dozens of people every year sight in their rifles at our club during "public sight in" days. A service our long range rifle shooters offer to the public 2 weekends a year before deer seson. Not many muzzleloaders I haven't seen/shot. Or many deer rifles in general.

My problem is with CVA in general. Their track record speaks volumes. And has for many years. But we won't go there now....

Posted By: 2muchgun Re: To beautiful not to shoot - 11/26/14
Originally Posted by bigblock455
I will also have a video to add to this post. I was testing to see if bore cots will change POI for me like they did some years back. 100 yards wasnt a huge change but still noticeable.

I'd be intereted in reading that. I have coated roughly a half dozen barrels and have some thoughts on it. Mine are all CF rifles, thugh......

I'd not say that. I help dozens of people every year sight in their rifles at our club during "public sight in" days. A service our long range rifle shooters offer to the public 2 weekends a year before deer seson. Not many muzzleloaders I haven't seen/shot. Or many deer rifles in general.

My problem is with CVA in general. Their track record speaks volumes. And has for many years. But we won't go there now....

I can't argue that CVA has had it's problems in the past, but that's the old company before BPI owned them. They seem like pretty good guns now. Especially, with the Bergara barrels. I've had every model, except the Apex, and they've all been accurate. Plus, i've never sent one back for repairs, or needed any parts. It's hard to beat the price too.

Are there better muzzleloaders? I guess so depending on what you're looking for, but that doesn't make the CVA's bad guns.
Originally Posted by bigblock455

Next up was 110 grains BH209. I swear, this rifle does NOT like 110 grains at all.

I have the same problem with my Bergara barrel CVA Elkhorn Pro. Throw a charge of 120 BH209 in there and a 250 grainer sabot and see what happens. Mine will ring like a school bell. Sad part is I get 3 sot MOA at 100 yards like that, but every time I pull the trigger I wonder if it will be the last shot.

Bergara might be a good barrel but I don't think it being approved for Magnum loads is a good idea.
its not the barrel, most problems is the person behind the trigger forgetting to do something and just being uneducated. Thats why the market is flooded with abused, rusted up, beat up muzzle loaders.
© 24hourcampfire