Home
Posted By: CBB Federal BOR LOK .50 Cal - 08/24/15
Has anyone here tried these bullets and what was your experience?
Posted By: txhunter58 Re: Federal BOR LOK .50 Cal - 08/24/15
Which one? The 270 gr copper ones or the 350 gr lead ones. On another forum a guy did some testing and the 350 gr looked pretty good. It is made from a lead alloy and seemed to hold together pretty well after going through plywood, 5 bottles of water and into a phone book.

I have some but haven't had a chance to shoot them yet.
Posted By: CBB Re: Federal BOR LOK .50 Cal - 08/24/15
I was thinking about the 270gr.
Posted By: colodog Re: Federal BOR LOK .50 Cal - 08/24/15
I want to try the 270s as well but they sell quick when the hit the shelves,
I have the 350s coming in a few days.
Originally Posted by CBB
Has anyone here tried these bullets and what was your experience?

I don't think the new lead 270s are on store shelves yet. But early indications are it will be a fine hunting bullet.
Posted By: colodog Re: Federal BOR LOK .50 Cal - 08/24/15
Midway had them and sent me a notice but they were gone before I could respond, Rats!
Posted By: txhunter58 Re: Federal BOR LOK .50 Cal - 08/25/15
Depends on what you are hunting. If deer, then 270s should be great. However, the testing I have seen makes me like the 350 gr lead alloy bullets better for elk.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Federal BOR LOK .50 Cal - 08/25/15
No opinion or experience myself, but saw this...

http://www.namlhunt.com/mlbullets16.html

and this...

http://www.namlhunt.com/mlbullets17.html

Anything is, of course, worth a try in your gun. Can't believe everything you see on the www.
Posted By: colodog Re: Federal BOR LOK .50 Cal - 08/30/15
Update on the 350gr lead Bor-Lok,
I was at the rifle club this afternoon to test drive this bullet in a Savage 10MLII, a TC Express Rifle and a TC Omega, I'm impressed!
Scopes aren't allowed for the hunting season here in Colorado so I shot all three rifles bare sights.
All were fed 777 because it works in everything even the sidelock Express with #11 caps .
I'm a slacker and didn't take the chronograph today so I'll have to check velocity later but all three rifles grouped 2-1/2" or less at 100yards.
The Savage groups opened up with loads higher than 110gr so I dropped down to 100gr. I'll put a scope back on to confirm.
The Omega isn't known for shooting conical bullets well but these are making me a believer, it will be scoped again shortly to see what I can do.
This bullet shot higher than expected in the Express rifle, 10" above point of aim with the tall leaf sight flipped up but was dead on at 100yd with the low sight so I'm done with one rifle at least.
I hope to have an on game report soon as well.
© 24hourcampfire