Home
I bought a new Tradition 32 can gun, and took it out a few weeks ago to fire it. It was a hot Arizona day,so I just fire it 4 times to see how it preformed. On getting home I read the manual about removing a plug opposite the nipple port so it could be easier to flush out the barrel. I used a Froster screw diver that properly fit the screw slot, and it was too shallow to get a bite, and slipped out. No way could I remove it, so wrote to Traditions. After several email, this is their response.
Hi Rachel

I ran the pictures by the gunsmith and he said that it should come back . He will do a complete cleaning and inspection on the gun ( CLIF Service ) and see if he can remove the damaged tang screw . For him to do the cleaning and inspection there will be a 54.95 fee . Removing and replacing the screw is part of the CLIF Service . If he can’t get the screw out and it requires that the barrel be replaced then there will be no charge on the CLIF Service just the normal price new barrel . Let me know what send the gun in and I will set up the return paperwork .

John Holmes

Customer Service Representative

1375 Boston Post Rd.

Old Saybrook, CT 06475

Phone: 1-860-388-4656 ext. 204

[email protected]

I am taking it to my gunsmith, and just wanted to share. So much for their warranty. Did I forget shipping costs.
Should you get it fixed, put some anti-seize on it. Choke tube lube works great. Do that before you shoot it again. If you do that you will never have a problem with it again. I dont know why manufacturers cant do that when they put them together.
Put Choke Tube Lube on the nipple threads also.
What powder were you using...... 777?
if thats the clean out screw you are talking about, its highly worthless and I dont even bother removing mine for cleaning.

If you do want to get it out and its super tight, you'll need to boil a pot of water and stick that end of the barrel into there and let it sit for a bit before trying to remove it with your screw driver.

Keep a small hammer on hand as well. If you can't get it to break loose, sometimes giving the screw driver a few helpful taps with the hammer while applying pressure in the direction to remove the screw, will help it break loose. Just like using a slap hammer.
The slot is too shallow to remove, but it irks me to be charged $54 for a cleaning, then they will check to see if they can fix it. Anyway, off to my smithy to repair. I have anti seize and will dope a little on the threads before I shoot it again. Been wanting a .32 for a while. My Beck is rough and hard to push a ball down it after 2 shots. Bore is rough, but still shootable. I use black powder, not the modern stuff. I think later I'm gong to remove the glossy blue, and brown rust it. This was mail order, and I hoped for a more realistic rifle like my old timer.
Thanks for posting this.
I've been looking at the Traditions 32cal myself and I was also under the impression that it was brown.
I've also read that they have an aluminum ram rod. Not a deal breaker but hardly "Tradition"al.

Like you, I don't rely much on customer service but when I do need it I certainly don't expect to have to pay for it.

Good luck with your rifle.

It's not traditional, but do yourself a favor and once you get it out replace it with a socket head set screw that uses an Allen wrench.
© 24hourcampfire