Home
Damn it! First time ever my Remington 700 misfired. I had so many Elk running past me that I misfired, cocked and misfired again, recapped and the damn thing went click again. Used a different cap and it fired later that morning. These musket caps were from the same bunch I had used with no problems a week prior. My rifle and capper did not get wet. CCI caps.
Does your tin of CCI say "FOR REENACTMENT USE" on it? They are weaker than #11s, downloaded for reenactors. Look for some RWS brand if you're going to use musket caps for hunting.

[Linked Image]
How long since you have disassembled and cleaned the bolt? The Remingtons with #11 and Musket cap ignition blow a lot of crap into the receiver and bolt. Over time it gunks up and slows firing pin travel.
yes,they are famous for dirty bolt locking up or slowing down the firing pin.
I have the tool and always remove the FP assy from the bolt.
there also none for week firing pin springs I would put a new one in the gun.
Originally Posted by kend
I have the tool and always remove the FP assy from the bolt.

You never mentioned if those were reenactment caps.
#11s work great, if you buy the magnum caps. #11 nipples have good options too. You can buy Red-Hot or Spitfire nipples, which are hotter.

Another thing I recommend is using FFF powder, not FF... and real blackpowder or 777. Pyrodex accepts moisture faster than the other two powders I mentioned.

Lastly, don't let that loaded barrel change temperatures drastically. No warm to cold. No cold to warm, then back out in the cold.
© 24hourcampfire