Home
After selling off my .58, I'm shopping for a new gun.

In the process of assessing new guns I stumbled across something interesting on the used rack. It's an old, discontinued TC percussion gun.

What should I look for that would tell me not to buy it?
Rust and pitting
Run a patch down the bore and see if it's smooth, rough, dirty, rusty.
A buddy would get a lighted arrow knock, turn it on and drop it down the bore for a better view. (I need a few too)
Can you remove the nipple or is it dirty and rusted in place.

Which TC?
I guess for me, it would depend what I was going to do with it. If it was to be my new hunting rifle, the price was right and it was a model I really liked, I'd accept some rust/pitting knowing that it would be an ongoing battle, but it would probably shoot pretty well anyway.
On the other hand, if I was looking for a "Sunday-go-to-meeting" gun, say one that was only going to the range or maybe hunting on nice days, I'd want it to be perfect. In which case, I probably wouldn't buy a used rifle at all. RB
as said, rust & pitting.

Cracks in those old tc stocks were pretty common around the lock and opposite side of lock as well as around the tang. Check closely!
I only have traditional muzzleloaders but what to look for has been covered. Rust and pitting, a nipple that comes out, cracks in the stock around the lock and breech block, and look at the crown of the muzzle. A little rust doesn't hurt and a lot of guns are leaded up pretty bad if they have been shot a lot so expect to clean that out.
Thanks all.

When I sold my muzzleloader the shop commented on what good care I'd obviously taken of it. It's hard for me to imagine someone NOT taking care of a gun. Cleaning up a muzzleloader is faster, though a little messier, than cleaning up a centerfire ... no waiting for copper solvent to do its job.

I hope the previous owner(s) of the gun I'm looking at felt the same way. It's a TC Seneca .45, legal for deer here (our minimum is .40 cal), and it looks like it should be a hoot for all kinds of stuff.

If it doesn't look good, then plan B is probably a Lyman GPH .50. That was plan A 'til I saw the little Seneca.
My first ML was a .45 Seneca, wish I'd kept it. A delight to carry but with max load (80 grain IIRC) under a Maxi ball it would turn my arm purple after a few shots.
I would prefer a new Lyman Great Plains Hunter. Easy choice for me.
Have the owner run a dry patch down he barrel. If patch comes out ripped I means pitted barrel. Surface rust can be cleaned-up. Rips in patch mean pass it up.
that is a patch on a jag, not a cleaning rod.
Someone had butchered the trigger on that Seneca. The un-set pull was so light that the hammer didn't want to stay back.

I wound up coming home with a Lyman GPR .50 percussion instead. I don't like it but it's the least bad on the short list of options still available it seems.

Got buyers remorse with the GPR. If I still have $$ left after Christmas shopping is done I may buy the Seneca anyway and try to revive it.

Tom
That's too bad. They should give you a good discount if you decide to go back for it. I'm kinda surprised they'd sell it that way though, what with the liability issues that might create.
There's a good gunsmith up here that reworked a trigger on a CVA Hawkins for me. If you need a lead, contact Ahlman's Gun Shop in Morristown, Mn.
© 24hourcampfire