Home
Posted By: 79inpa quick projectile question. - 12/19/15
I normally shoot MMP short black sabots and 45 caliber 250 grain bullets in my savage model 10 ml. I also have a etc firestorm flintlock in 50 caliber. Can I use the same sabots and bullets in my firestorm or are the sabots and bullets too big for the firestorm?
Posted By: tmitch Re: quick projectile question. - 12/19/15
Don't see why not. May load a bit tight as T/Cs are bored a little smaller. Try it & find out!
Posted By: obie458 Re: quick projectile question. - 12/20/15
The rate of twist in A flintlocks is usually much slower than in a modern muzzleloaders. That could cause some accuracy issues but really there's only on way to find out.
Before I sold it, I tried a couple of 250gr XTPs in Harvester Crush Ribs in my 1-48 Greyhawk (a really finicky piece). At 50 yards, they did fine. Like the man said, there's one way to find out.
Posted By: Terryk Re: quick projectile question. - 12/23/15
The firestorm has a 1/48 twist so it should be happy with sabots or patched ball. As a guess it could strip the rifling at max loads like 100+ grain FFG. I would start at 70 grains and work up. You should use loose powder, it works better than pellets in most cases.
I'd like to see the results. I have only shot patched balls and Maxi Balls from my T/C. I do not want to spend the money just to find out they shoot poorly.

Regards,

Josh
I have a left hand Renegade with 1 in 48 and it shoots saboted pistol bullets well. The sights wouldn't adjust low enough though, because the lighter bullets shot so much faster with much less recoil. I fixed the problem with a LER scope.
© 24hourcampfire