Home
Posted By: kaywoodie Fusils - 09/06/16
Let's see em. Here's a nice 20 bore of mine

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Fusils - 09/06/16
A pair of French Fusils. Top one has a new home. Fusil de Chasse on bottom is still here

[Linked Image]
Close up of #1. Patch box is a little reminiscent of Bedford co I think?

[Linked Image]

I don't know the builder
Posted By: tmitch Re: Fusils - 09/06/16
Beauties Bob! That 20 bore even has the lock on the "correct" side!
LOL! Don't mind shooting it, Tom!

I know there's a right handed Kentucky in Kindigs big book with u a left hand lock. And I've personally examined a left had lock from a french fusil found in one of the Tunica sites at Marksville Louisiana. There was another lefty found at the Haynes Bluff site south of Natchez. It's pictured in the publication "Tunica Archaeology" well what's left of it is!
Posted By: klondike_mike Re: Fusils - 09/08/16
Here's my 20 bore Centermark French Fusil.
[Linked Image]

And my Brown Bess Trade Gun.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Fusils - 09/08/16
Very nice Mike!!!
Posted By: BullShooter Re: Fusils - 09/08/16
The builder finally let me take possession of my fusil/fowler/tradegun last week. It's been ready for a while, but he took it to the Contemporary Longrifle Assn show in KY last month and it sat on his table for several days, drawing compliments.

Tom does excellent work. (He built the percussion longrifle I brought to the Campfire Hog Hunts in TN.) I asked him to keep this one pretty simple. It's a 20 gauge, barrel about 40 inches long. The color casing of the lock and buttplate were done in his shop, and I think they came out pretty nice. The ramrod is ebony.

I've fired it with shot. Shooting patched roundball and regulating the front sight is up next.
--Bob
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Fusils - 09/09/16
Wow!!! Very elegant Bullshooter! That is a very nice piece! Enjoyed seeing it.

I have two more guns I need to photograph. Ones an original "Buck and ball" Gun, the other a Briish light infantry musket I built from a North Star West kit

Thanks again posters!
Now I have the urge for another Northwest Trade Gun. I've had 3. Gave last one to young son. And I know where one of the other ones lives. I had it built by an old hunting compadre. Made a 24 gauge! Shot .570 RB's really nice.

Dunno what the hell I'd do with another I one. Hell don't have time to shoot ones I got. But they are iconic.
[Linked Image]

Original. Flint to percussion conversion. Prolly 1825 vintage. Or so.
20 bore. Slight swamp in octogon bbl.
Posted By: htredneck Re: Fusils - 09/09/16
My 62 smoothie / 20 bore fowler...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Very nice!!!!! Nice horn and pouch too!!
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Fusils - 09/09/16
Every now and then something jumps out of the bushes and tugs at my heart strings. Y'all's fusils is one of them. I had an British infantry officer's fusil repro around 25 years ago that was a joy to carry and shoot, I built from Rifle Shoppe castings. Mayhaps it's finally time to replace it.

So many guns, so little time...!
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Every now and then something jumps out of the bushes and tugs at my heart strings. Y'all's fusils is one of them. I had an British infantry officer's fusil repro around 25 years ago that was a joy to carry and shoot, I built from Rifle Shoppe castings. Mayhaps it's finally time to replace it.

So many guns, so little time...!

I'll try to post pics of mine tomorrow.
Posted By: htredneck Re: Fusils - 09/10/16
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Very nice!!!!! Nice horn and pouch too!!

Thanks!
I made the bag and knife sheath. I'm going to have to make another here pretty soon to go with a sweet little Southern Mountain .36 I have coming...
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Fusils - 09/10/16
Sounds like a good one! Pics when you get it! Old son is having a Bean style flinter built up in 40 calibre. Delivery this winter.

I have a French pulverin (flask) that was made for me I need to do some work on! Actually it is the photo above with two french fusils.
Don't have it in my hands yet but I have some pictures of it. It should be here in time to go for a walk in the woods next weekend. I hope so anyway... I'm getting a serious urge for some fried squirrel!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Oh that's gorgeous!!! L&R lock?

She ought to be a squirrel buster!!! wink

Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Oh that's gorgeous!!! L&R lock?

She ought to be a squirrel buster!!! wink

The lock is late-style Manton with a roller frizzen.
She definitely has some dates in her future with squirrels and rabbits!
Posted By: travelingman1 Re: Fusils - 09/10/16
Gentlemen, Just curious, what makes a fusil vs a muzzleloader? Have seen the term in many books about the old West but never really understood exactly why they are called fusils? thanks,
To me, these days, it has come to mean a light Smoothbore firearm. Generally of the flint persuasion. But not necessarily.

There are other such guns. Like "smooth" rifles, and such. But they are a different critter. IMHO

I'm sure others have different interpretations. But this is mine

I bet the guns in the old west books they refer to are probablyeither the old Northwest style trade gun or just a plain Smoothbore military musket. You will also see the term "elegant fusil". Like what might be called a Chiefs grade trade fusil. It's a rather archaic term for these days.
Here's my British Light infantry fusil. Built from a North Star West kit several years back. This one I carried on the set of "The Patriot".

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire