Home
Posted By: RandyR Bedding Muzzleloaders - 11/27/16
I am getting to order another muzzleloader soon and wonder if anyone beds their guns and if it has made any difference.
Posted By: bigblock455 Re: Bedding Muzzleloaders - 11/27/16
Yes it makes a difference. Are you buying an inline or traditional?
Posted By: RandyR Re: Bedding Muzzleloaders - 11/27/16
I am thinking a new Accura v2 but not sure the LR model will be worth the extra weight or length.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Bedding Muzzleloaders - 11/27/16
I can only relate my own experiences to you. I have a TC Hawkin I bought in about 1976. It has always shot very good and I am on my 3rd barrel. About 20 years ago it developed a crack on one side , behind the tang. So I made a new stock for it and glass bedded where I thought appropriate. It still shoots the same as it always did.

A little bit after that, I had sent it back to TC for a new barrel, and bought a TC Black Diamond to use while it was there. Once I had load worked up for it, it also shot very well. However, I really dislike synthetic stocks and I made a very nice walnut stock for it. Again I bedded it where I thought was appropriate. It shot the same as the synthetic stock. Both of those guns have killed several elk.

This past year, I bought a new inline. A TC Impact .It will shoot about 2&1/2 " groups at 100 yards. About the same as the Hawkin and Black Diamond. That gun killed an elk this year.

At 73 ,my eyes are not the best and with open sights, I suspect either of the three could do better with better eyes working them.
I am not one to chase after little bitty groups and under 3" is certainly good enough to kill deer and elk.

If a fellow is using a scope and shooing 200 yards or so or shooting competition, it may very well make a difference. For my use it doesn't.
Okay, for the Accura V2, no bedding whatsoever will be needed. I've shot a lot of them over they year, even free floated the forearm on the optima and not one difference was made. The best thing you can do it strip the factory gun down and clean it out extremely good, follow up with a good light gun oil and remove the rear stock bolt and add a little loctite. They tend to come a little loose out of the box so thats the first thing I'd do it remove the cover and clean/loctite that stock bolt.
Posted By: RandyR Re: Bedding Muzzleloaders - 11/27/16
Good to know , thanks

Does the 3" longer barrel make it worthwhile to go with the LR model or would it be better to just go with a heavier load than the 100gr BH209 that I currently am using?
that 3" of barrel will give you an extra 45fps but imo, the added length is not worth it.
© 24hourcampfire