Home
Posted By: htredneck New bag for a new rifle - 01/09/17
Bag that I made to go with a .54 Virginia rifle Michael Davis is building for me. THe main body is 3 1/2 ounce oak tanned cowhide and the front rolled edge is elk hide. Rolled welts on the gusset that extends the full length of the body. Overall size is about 9" tall x 9 1/2" wide a double pocket inside on the back. The main color is black with golden brown flap and back accent. Treated with a 50/50 mix of bees wax and neatsfoot oil. The strap goes from 1 1/2" to 1" wide, 5 ounce oak tanned cowhide with an aged brass buckle. All hand saddle-stitched with waxed linen thread.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Wow, sir, excellent design and craftsmanship! I remain VERY impressed! Love the color scheme to boot.

Also a great choice on a caliber (54) and school (Virginia) for your custom longrifle build. You sound like the kind of gentleman that my friends and I would enjoy hunting and shooting with ...

Keep 'em in the bullseye! Cheers
Posted By: j2dogs Re: New bag for a new rifle - 01/09/17
That is beautiful work!
Posted By: 4ager Re: New bag for a new rifle - 01/09/17
Nicely done!
Posted By: tddeangelo Re: New bag for a new rifle - 01/09/17
Very nicely done!
Posted By: WildWest Re: New bag for a new rifle - 01/09/17
Nice hand stitching
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: New bag for a new rifle - 01/10/17
Very nice!!!!!!!! What horn you gonna match to that bag???
Posted By: 30338 Re: New bag for a new rifle - 01/10/17
Nice work on that shooting bag. I emailed a question to Mike Davis and got a very prompt answer. He builds some nice looking rifles. May have to get him to work on one sometime. Thank you
Posted By: htredneck Re: New bag for a new rifle - 01/11/17
Thanks guys...
Check back in a couple of days and I will post an updated picture of the bag with a horn and knife.

30338 - the .54 I am having built is a 'tribute' rifle based on Mike Davis' Old School Virginia mixed with a couple features he did on his rifle for the CLA auction. The major piece being the patchbox...
Posted By: szihn Re: New bag for a new rifle - 01/11/17
Now THAT'S a nice bag.
Well done sir!
Posted By: 4ager Re: New bag for a new rifle - 01/11/17
Originally Posted by htredneck
Thanks guys...
Check back in a couple of days and I will post an updated picture of the bag with a horn and knife.

30338 - the .54 I am having built is a 'tribute' rifle based on Mike Davis' Old School Virginia mixed with a couple features he did on his rifle for the CLA auction. The major piece being the patchbox...

Somehow, I think I'm going to end up not liking you....
Posted By: htredneck Re: New bag for a new rifle - 01/14/17
As promised...
The bag, sheath and straps are my handiwork...horn, pick and brush are the work of David Crisalli and the knife was done by Ben Hoffman.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jpb Re: New bag for a new rifle - 01/15/17
The more I look at the pictures, the more I am impressed!

Not only are there a lot of nice design features, the execution is impressive.

I hope you add your name and the year somewhere (perhaps burn it in on the inside?) -- somebody could be using that a century or more from now and they'd appreciate the info!

John
Posted By: marlas1too Re: New bag for a new rifle - 01/19/17
very nice setup
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: New bag for a new rifle - 01/19/17
Now that's a rig to be proud of!! Very nice!
Posted By: Redworm Re: New bag for a new rifle - 01/21/17
Nice bag....Nice knife....Nice hunting Horn.......I can't wait to see the Rifle........Redworm............
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: New bag for a new rifle - 01/24/17
WOW!
© 24hourcampfire