Home
Posted By: ErichTheRed Bit nipply this morning - 11/20/21
-45 below zero at my house this morning.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Bit nipply this morning - 11/20/21
Bumping that here in Delta also but I do need a better thermometer as mine is saying -50F and I know it's not that cold.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Bit nipply this morning - 11/20/21
It’s only -6* here in the banana belt. -13* yesterday AM.
Posted By: sayak Re: Bit nipply this morning - 11/20/21
And I thought it was cold here at around 0 here on the Pen.
Enjoy fellas.
My hands get cold easy nowadays.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Bit nipply this morning - 11/20/21
-9 F in Eagle River heard a rumor -30 C in Whitehorse this morning and we had a full Moon!
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Bit nipply this morning - 11/21/21
45 below in tok is still better than here in MI. If circumstances were better.,....
I like Tok and at -45 I’d probably like it better since there’s no skeeters…..those damn things can drive a fella crazy. 😂….plus it’s a “dry” -45 which really helps. 😂
Posted By: ironbender Re: Bit nipply this morning - 11/21/21
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I like Tok and at -45 I’d probably like it better since there’s no skeeters…..those damn things can drive a fella crazy. 😂….plus it’s a “dry” -45 which really helps. 😂

Dry enough to get a shock flipping a light switch.
Yes, some of the wintertime fun around my house is shuffling my feet up to the wife for a little shock therapy. Hehehe
Pretty soon I'll be throwing boiling coffee in the air and watch it turn to air crystals/vapor before it hits the ground.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Bit nipply this morning - 11/21/21
I miss Tok. Alot of memories with that place. Used to make alot of weekend runs up there from wasilla if my friends needed something.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Bit nipply this morning - 11/21/21
It's time to bring the brass monkey in off the lawn.
Originally Posted by VernAK
It's time to bring the brass monkey in off the lawn.

You have a statue of Obongo?
At least there is no rain in the forecast!

-11 🥶
Posted By: MTDan Re: Bit nipply this morning - 11/21/21
A balmy -29 in Fairbanks.
Dumb question, are temps this cold normal for this time of year? Seems damn cold for November, but I don't know Alaska.
Actually it is warmer than normal. I have seen -40 on Halloween. Not usual but it can happen. Tok has not seen -60 in many years.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Bit nipply this morning - 11/22/21
-10 F made the 160 F Sauna feel great!
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Bit nipply this morning - 11/22/21
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Dumb question, are temps this cold normal for this time of year? Seems damn cold for November, but I don't know Alaska.

Temps are highly variable, year-to-year, and are strongly influenced by the Pacific Decadal Oscillation...in human life-time terms it is a total craps-shoot.

This POS study is a complete cover story for reduced productivity due to 400 BILLION excess pink salmon smolts being dumped into the system from AK salmon hatcheries. Read it with a jaundiced eye to find what they are trying to hide.
https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/feature-story/understanding-ocean-changes-and-climate-just-got-harder

The North Gulf Coast temperature cycles are real and very well documented. On the warming end of the cycle things get erratic...

The effect of water on weather is huge and when few realize wet air is much lighter than dry air... and that is only a tiny part of the dynamic nature of weather... Adding data from PDO shows it is common for wild temp swings currently. Tough times for big game hunters in AK...
Posted By: ironbender Re: Bit nipply this morning - 11/22/21
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Normal is really just long term average. So, these temps this time of November are colder than normal.

Almanac for November 22, 2021
FORECAST. AVERAGE. *RECORD
Temperature
High 12 °F. 29 °F. 46 °F
Low -8 °F. 14 °F. -20 °F

Official temps @ Kenai airport.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Bit nipply this morning - 11/22/21
It gets cold down here and I hate shoveling snow.

But I've never seen it get nipply. If it got nipply, that'd be worth all the shoveling.
Posted By: pak Re: Bit nipply this morning - 11/23/21
Originally Posted by kk alaska
-10 F made the 160 F Sauna feel great!

KK, time to crank up the heat in the sauna. I run mine at 180F and it is nowhere as cold as -10F here.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Bit nipply this morning - 11/24/21
Originally Posted by ErichTheRed
-45 below zero at my house this morning.

I know it's nice up there and everything, but I'd have to head south in the winter. Around here, if it gets to -5 people get scared.
Posted By: Lockhart Re: Bit nipply this morning - 11/24/21
The Pacific Decadal Oscillation and North Pacific Gyre Oscillation are not as effective at helping us predict regional environmental and ecological change as in the past.

And exactly how much "past" has that been? There has been no discernable change in ocean temperatures or sea levels at NC beaches since I started taking my children to Ocean Isle, Sunset Beach, Oak Island or Wrightsville Beach since the early nineties and no beach houses or condos have been overwhelmed by rising tides at Myrtle Beach since the 70s.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Bit nipply this morning - 11/24/21
Originally Posted by kk alaska
-9 F in Eagle River heard a rumor -30 C in Whitehorse this morning and we had a full Moon!

I wonder what it was at the top of Site Summit and if the wind was blowing ?
kwg
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Bit nipply this morning - 11/24/21
Originally Posted by Lockhart
The Pacific Decadal Oscillation and North Pacific Gyre Oscillation are not as effective at helping us predict regional environmental and ecological change as in the past.

And exactly how much "past" has that been? There has been no discernable change in ocean temperatures or sea levels at NC beaches since I started taking my children to Ocean Isle, Sunset Beach, Oak Island or Wrightsville Beach since the early nineties and no beach houses or condos have been overwhelmed by rising tides at Myrtle Beach since the 70s.

A long time in human terms... a blink of an eye in real terms...
I guess my low-class mind was expecting picture with a little more "show and tell" ... whistle
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Bit nipply this morning - 11/30/21
Originally Posted by smokepole
It gets cold down here and I hate shoveling snow.

But I've never seen it get nipply. If it got nipply, that'd be worth all the shoveling.

Indeed. I thought we were were going to get to see a bunch of nipply good-lookin' wimmins. Kinda' disappointed u wankers just wana' talk about the weather.
Posted By: MrClean Re: Bit nipply this morning - 12/01/21
Geeeezus!!! I can't even fathom that kinda temp.
It gets 32 here in MS and people freak out and hoard up bread and milk (two things I'll never need), canned goods, etc.
Oh.... and heaven forbid we get a little snow/ice..... people are idiots.

I too was expecting some snow and tell pics.... ha
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Bit nipply this morning - 12/01/21
We got down to freezing a few nights ago 😮. I think I’ve see temperatures in the minus range once. With 15-20 knots of wind, that was plenty chilly for this boy. 😁
Well pics seem to be highly valued Erich time to lock the missus outa the house while she’s wearing a sheer blouse.

Get pix while she bangs on the locked door.

Oh & Merry Christmas btw
I'm sorry but the misses is a good shot and a poor sport. So my guess is no .
But if you guys need it bad enough I will put on a wet t-shirt and stand outside for you. I am just a little sexier than Rosy O'Donnell
But not much more.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Bit nipply this morning - 12/02/21
That photo would make front page of the Mukluk News for sure!
Posted By: las Re: Bit nipply this morning - 12/03/21
'Puter claims -3 in Sterling right now. I don't know where they get that - my thermometers are almost always colder than the official temp,, so I must live in a cold pot, despite being on a hill top above the river. One says -18, the other says -16 right now.

A couple weekw ago on our way to Anchorage, just before we hit the mountains, the car thermometer registered -21. 4 miles later in the mountain it broke zero.

We didn't care- two days later (andup to 3 days ago) we were in 85-90 degrees. Halfway around the world and considerable south will do that..... some adjustment required. smile

Spent part of yesterday clearing snow.......
Originally Posted by VernAK
That photo would make front page of the Mukluk News for sure!

Lol. It’d make a great Xmas gift for your wife Erich
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Bit nipply this morning - 12/05/21
Trying to get Eagle River above 0 F burn in of folding wood tent stove.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXFjaV0rLQW/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Was 29 below zero the other night and i was constipated, in the fkn outhouse. I was a little frustrated but it could be worse.

For example:
Berkowitz as your mayor, or dealing with the toxic anchorage assembly and their rei-brigade of mediocre hitmen in the press.

Exemption: Jamie Allard, shes awesome.

Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Bit nipply this morning - 12/05/21
Hate to see you guys lose Allard on the city council but I hope she gets elected to state with the new redistricting. I think she can do better things for the state. Anc is lost.

I live in MI but still follow AK politics and hoping the best for you guys
Hell, a photo of an outhouse is front page news for Mukluk News.
My high-school paper had more in-depth reporting.
© 24hourcampfire