Home
There were others. Name a few.
KFAR in da banks had…..tundra drums?
Related there was a company in Anchorage that you could call on your phone they had people in several remote areas that had HAM Radios. That person would get the person you needed to contact to come to him, give them a brief lesson in how it worked. Then the Anchorage company would call me back when everything was ready. It might have been called "Anchorage Radio".
Father in law called it the “Tundra Telegraph” but he was there about 1949 or 50 until the war.
There were several on AM radio out of Anchorage and Fairbanks.
My favorite one of those Bush messages went something like this: "Tell the Dr. to never mind. I won't be in. I had the baby yesterday."
Always felt like I was listening in on a party line.
Trapline Chatter is a common one out of the Christian Radio KJNP both out of Wasilla and Fairbanks.
If I remember correctly KFQD or KHAR had Mukluck Telegraph. I used to listen to Caribou Clatter in the 60s.
Galena has a station, KIYU, that broadcasts (and is rebroadcast) throughout the mid Yukon River area.
KOTZ in the 1980s was the Tundra Telegraph. Hilarious messages sometimes! If you listened close enough, you could almost catch a whiff of the seal oil on the radio waves.

NPR All Things Considered was another staple. IIRC, Cory Mcclintok ?sp was not too bad There was not too much to listen to up there. ESPN and MTV were relatively new if you had access to the cable "boob tube."

las would know if Tundra Telegraph was still in existence.
KICY out of Nome still runs Ptarmigan Telegraph.

"To Ralph at Eagle Island..." is the beginning of hundreds of messages I've heard over the years....always thought it would be cool to meet Ralph.
Pretty sure Ralph has passed on. Nice Camp there. Son in Fairbanks owns it now.
© 24hourcampfire