Home
Posted By: butchlambert1 Dan Armstrong-Fairbanks - 01/04/24
I've been doing business with Dan for many years, but no response either by email or phone. I hope he doesn't have a health problem. Any body acquainted with Dan that can check or might know?
Thanks
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Dan Armstrong-Fairbanks - 01/04/24
I know Walt Armstrong out in North Pole and Dave Armstrong out in Valdez who often posts on here but I don't know a Dan Armstrong. Does he work out of a shop or out of his house.
Dan owns Accutig, http://accu-tig.com/. He is the go to guy for custom bolt handles. He is very prompt and reasonable.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Dan Armstrong-Fairbanks - 01/04/24
It may be that he is super busy with Alaska Ammo range and self defense training center. I think that in a cursory search that he teaches a lot of classes over there. I would call them.
In the summer Dan services motorcycles. Thanks for checking.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Dan Armstrong-Fairbanks - 01/05/24
Butch, here is his info, here on the fire.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/users/26038/dans40x
Dan's son emailed me and said Dan was on vacation and all is good.
Thanks
Posted By: 458Win Re: Dan Armstrong-Fairbanks - 01/06/24
My first, and last, dealing with Dan was when I asked him if he would weld a Mannlicher style spoon handle on my Borden Rimrock 30-06 as the handle Jim built was good but it protruded more than I prefer on a mountain rifle.
All Dan said was “I won’t install kitchenware on a Borden !”
Originally Posted by 458Win
My first, and last, dealing with Dan was when I asked him if he would weld a Mannlicher style spoon handle on my Borden Rimrock 30-06 as the handle Jim built was good but it protruded more than I prefer on a mountain rifle.

Phil, Dan has done over a dozen for me and with no problems, but he can be a little ??? about certain things. As long as he continues to do a good job for me, I will use him. I do understand where you are coming from though.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Dan Armstrong-Fairbanks - 01/06/24
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Dan's son emailed me and said Dan was on vacation and all is good.
Thanks
Was looking for his number when you posted this. good to know. never had anything but positive dealings with Dan
Posted By: Mik123 Re: Dan Armstrong-Fairbanks - 01/08/24

Do you have a picture of that rifle Phil?
Posted By: rost495 Re: Dan Armstrong-Fairbanks - 01/08/24
As good a work as Dan does thats his call for whatever reason but I wouldn't take him off the list as what he does do is top notch.

I wanted a new bolt on a Rem 600 or 660 I forget which it is. He just went and got a box full and said take your pick. Granted its not a borden gun. Of course I would have asked why.
But he does really good work. I'm sure others do also.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Dan Armstrong-Fairbanks - 01/10/24

He had done good work for me but one thing is for certain, he is without a doubt the most opinionated man in all of Alaska
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Dan Armstrong-Fairbanks - 01/12/24
That's a hell of a claim!
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Dan Armstrong-Fairbanks - 01/13/24
Originally Posted by cwh2

Talk to him on the phone some time. You'll know what i mean. Whatever you do, do not ask him about triggers!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Dan Armstrong-Fairbanks - 01/13/24
Originally Posted by cwh2
Do you have some contenders in mind?
😁
Posted By: Aero Re: Dan Armstrong-Fairbanks - 01/13/24
Dan has done a half a dozen or more Bolt handle jobs for me over the last 10 years or so. There have been a few that he refused to do whiched forced me to fire up my tig welder. It worked out, but I'd have rather had him do it.His work is always excellent, but he certainly has opinions.

Glad to have seen this thread as I sent him a Bolt a couple weeks ago and I've been getting nervous since I would normally have it back by now
Originally Posted by Aero
Dan has done a half a dozen or more Bolt handle jobs for me over the last 10 years or so. There have been a few that he refused to do whiched forced me to fire up my tig welder. It worked out, but I'd have rather had him do it.His work is always excellent, but he certainly has opinions.

Glad to have seen this thread as I sent him a Bolt a couple weeks ago and I've been getting nervous since I would normally have it back by now

I hope to see mine soon. A guy needs a few days off and doesn't have to post it on all the forums.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Dan Armstrong-Fairbanks - 01/13/24
phil,
I believe your borden action has a one piece bolt from borden and may require something else to make it work or made shorter ...I would call Jim first
Posted By: SKane Re: Dan Armstrong-Fairbanks - 01/14/24
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

He had done good work for me but one thing is for certain, he is without a doubt the most opinionated man in all of Alaska

I dunno - are you familiar with swamplord here?
Posted By: 458Win Re: Dan Armstrong-Fairbanks - 01/14/24

I heard he did good work, which was why I contacted him in the first place, but he was adamant that he thought a Mannlicher, or Mauser type M bolt handle was inappropriate on a Borden action. Even after I told him I had talked with Jim Borden about it and he had no problem with the concept.
Posted By: DANS40XC Re: Dan Armstrong-Fairbanks - 01/14/24

I heard he did good work, which was why I contacted him in the first place, but he was adamant that he thought a Mannlicher, or Mauser type M bolt handle was inappropriate on a Borden action. Even after I told him I had talked with Jim Borden about it and he had no problem with the concept.

Simple-
Send the bolt back to the manufacturer (Jim Borden) for a kitchen utensil upgrade.
or
use some mechanical aptitude & modify the handle.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Dan Armstrong-Fairbanks - 01/14/24
I thought I would first try supporting a local business and was hoping I might find one better than the Junk man, with the capability and knowledge to do the job.
Phil, you'll be surprised to know, that THE biggest egos in Alaska, are not bear guides, but these fkn Fairbanks guys.

I really don't understand, these fkn twatts. They live in a suburban sprawl, live in modern residential homes, pay impressive property taxes. BUT, they all think they're God's greatest gift to the outdoors.
Originally Posted by DANS40XC

Simple-
Send the bolt back to the manufacturer (Jim Borden) for a kitchen utensil upgrade.
or

Simple, sht yer fkn mouth and make me a sandwich.

(See Phil, this is how you deal with fairbanks guys)
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Originally Posted by DANS40XC

Simple-
or

Simple, sht yer fkn mouth and make me a sandwich.

(See Phil, this is how you deal with fairbanks guys)

And you are who?? Sir, I was just looking for Dan, not a [bleep] show! Start your own thread if you want to run a person down. Also, I think Phil can handle his own.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Dan Armstrong-Fairbanks - 01/15/24
You guys are too much
Posted By: Poodle_Dad Re: Dan Armstrong-Fairbanks - 01/15/24
He welded a Remington 700 bolt for me back in 2021 or so. So far, no problems to report.
Posted By: keith Re: Dan Armstrong-Fairbanks - 01/15/24
Dan has done at least 8 for me. I learn a lot from him on every conversation.
Received my bolt today in Excellent Condition. I'm sorry if some of you may have had an unhappy meeting with Dan, but his work is over the top.
© 24hourcampfire