Home
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Frostbite advice please - 01/31/24
Hey yall,

Bridge of my nose got "bit" the other day running a dog team. Had a face mask cinched up so closely that it was touching my eyelashes, still got bit.

Was only supposed to be -45 below, but desended into a bowl surrounded by 1000ft hills, where hard cold just settled, so was way colder. I hate those fkn cold holes.

Would something like burn ointment be proper?

Any good ski goggles out there that wont fog up, so I can protect my face till this heals up?
Dang Mainer, you're hard on things.
My wife swears by Royal Jelly. She put's it on everything.
One fella I know did the same thing to his nose while working the Iron Dog years ago. His nose was raw and scabbed up for weeks.
Hey ole friend, does it come in the 5 gallon jug!? Hahahahahaha:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: las Re: Frostbite advice please - 01/31/24
Lots of stuff and advice on google-up.

"Keep the frostbitten area clean. Apply unscented cream or ointment, like Vaseline®. " Neosporine, etc shouold work- it's basically vaseline.

Might see a doc or clinic too, just for luck. depends on how bad it is, but generally heals on its own, in time.

I have the feeling back in my fingertips after that over-flow dunk 6 or 7 years ago. Still sensitive tho.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Frostbite advice please - 01/31/24
I always liked "NewSkin." Have not been bit in quite a while and do not miss it!
Posted By: WMR Re: Frostbite advice please - 01/31/24
Originally Posted by las
Lots of stuff and advice on google-up.

"Keep the frostbitten area clean. Apply unscented cream or ointment, like Vaseline®. " Neosporine, etc shouold work- it's basically vaseline.

Might see a doc or clinic too, just for luck. depends on how bad it is, but generally heals on its own, in time.

I have the feeling back in my fingertips after that over-flow dunk 6 or 7 years ago. Still sensitive tho.

Good advice. Vaseline has kind of replaced Neosporin for wound care/infection prevention. Mayo Clinic and Web MD are excellent online sources for most medical issues. Frostbite varies from mild to very severe. Treatment and prognosis vary depending on the particulars. Frostbit my toes on a SD pheasant hunt some years ago. I can hardly keep them warm now once it gets cold.
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

You just made LBP’s month.
You telling me you don't have a tin of bag balm in the house?
Posted By: LBP Re: Frostbite advice please - 01/31/24
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

You just made LBP’s month.
I’d bang her like a drum set!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Frostbite advice please - 01/31/24
On e you’re healed, use duct tape as a preventative.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Frostbite advice please - 01/31/24
Your nose is gonna fall off….😳

At least that’s what I’ve heard down here. 😁
Posted By: las Re: Frostbite advice please - 01/31/24
Lucky that was the part he burnt.
Posted By: tcp Re: Frostbite advice please - 01/31/24
Frost bite is treated no differently than a thermal burn other than it takes longer to know what amount of tissue will be lost/scar. Keep the area dressed with some antibiotic ointment and avoid refreezing it at all costs. It will either heal, scar, or need to be skin grafted depending on the depth and extent of the frostbite. Blisters that are thin walled and filled with clear fluid are a good sign- blood filled blisters indicate deep tissue injury and will likely scar.

Good luck
Thanks tcp, if it turns green, I'll go to another country to get surgery.

I guess pretty cheap in Turkey or Mexico.

I'll ask the doc to go to the morgue and find some promiscuous pussy lips to skin-graft right between my eyes. I do not want pieces of my ass cheek, skin-grafted to my face!

I'll ask the doc to go to the morgue and find some promiscuous pussy lips to skin-graft right between my eyes. I do not want pieces of my ass cheek, skin-grafted to my face!
Oh yeah!

Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Frostbite advice please - 02/01/24

Well, an asscheek face graft would allow you to tell folks to kiss "right here!" It is easier than dropping trou and bending over.
Posted By: Riflecrank Re: Frostbite advice please - 02/01/24
CeraVe Healing Ointment is 46.5% petrolatum/Vaseline.
Plus it has "3 essential ceramides & hyaluronic acid."
Get it in 12-ounce tub at Walmart for about 20 bucks.
Best stuff I have used on my winter skin issues.

Using neomycin containing ointments more than 2 or 3 days may itself cause a chemical burn.
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: Frostbite advice please - 02/01/24
I've only been bit once. Left the camp up on Pleasant Lake in Island Falls, ME after fishing, headed on a beer run to the gas station a couple miles away. I didn't cover up enough for the -20 sled ride. When I got back my skin along my jawbone was raised up and frozen. Pretty sure I just used vaseline on it and kept it covered. Took quite a while to heal up. Turned black and blue, then the skin came off. Couldn't imagine losing digits to that schit!
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
I've only been bit once. Left the camp up on Pleasant Lake in Island Falls, ME after fishing, headed on a beer run to the gas station a couple miles away. I didn't cover up enough for the -20 sled ride. When I got back my skin along my jawbone was raised up and frozen. Pretty sure I just used vaseline on it and kept it covered. Took quite a while to heal up. Turned black and blue, then the skin came off. Couldn't imagine losing digits to that schit!

No sht?! Dang, small world. That's a crazy deep lake. Clean/cold water. As a kid, would catch some good size smelt, then send that live bait over 130 ft down near the warm spring holes. Would catch some massive burrbot (cusk). Grew up near that lake. Lotta good childhood memories there.

OK, back on the trail. Staying on the high Ridgeline trails till this sht heals up. No more fkn cold holes.
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: Frostbite advice please - 02/01/24
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan

No sht?! Dang, small world. That's a crazy deep lake. Clean/cold water. As a kid, would catch some good size smelt, then send that live bait over 130 ft down near the warm spring holes. Would catch some massive burrbot (cusk). Grew up near that lake. Lotta good childhood memories there.

OK, back on the trail. Staying on the high Ridgeline trails till this sht heals up. No more fkn cold holes.

I grew up down near Calais, but dated a girl for a while in high school that lived in Sherman/Stacyville. Really liked that area quite a bit!
Posted By: iskra Re: Frostbite advice please - 02/02/24
"Lifestyles!" In contrast. Some days into the 70ies in SoCal at my home earlier this week. Sixties and rain now. Nights typically forties to low fifties. But not the biting humid cold of Mark Twain's remarks about San Franscisco summers worst winter he'd experienced; some such.

Hopefully you all are doing 'your thing' in the manner you love. "Home" and there necessarily "hearth". I've experienced "cold" in the RU City of Yakutsk. A few days in midwinter a quarter century ago. People there with entirely different lifestyle principally featuring a pattern of life in ever "adapting". Alaskans presumably most with technology to 'accommodate'. As much as I dislike the Kalifornia anti-gun climate as 'hobby interfering', my family "lifestyle" takes precedent.

A 'Clink, Clink' salute to you all and what you perhaps find in "community" in those environs as lost here in "the Burbs". But "home for me and mine" is in climate friendly environs, achieved.

Your original postulation of "Frost Bite" as another man's lament of "Sun Burn". At best, it's all about being where you want to be, doing what you want to do!
Thanks for the interesting 'inside view' of another American lifestyle!

Best!
John
Posted By: Angus55 Re: Frostbite advice please - 02/02/24
I was thinking back on fishing and hunting trips up to the big state, can’t remember what we were doing on this trip, but we came in from bush to Talkeetna, while there we did laundry at little place, there were two asian guys doing laundry, they had just came off McKinley , their noses were completely gone, and center of there faces were black as Cole, very shocking to see, felt so sorry for these young guys, but they were the happiest two men, laughing and making jokes to each other, didn’t cover up at all, they made it off Alive.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Frostbite advice please - 02/05/24
Originally Posted by Angus55
I was thinking back on fishing and hunting trips up to the big state, can’t remember what we were doing on this trip, but we came in from bush to Talkeetna, while there we did laundry at little place, there were two asian guys doing laundry, they had just came off McKinley , their noses were completely gone, and center of there faces were black as Cole, very shocking to see, felt so sorry for these young guys, but they were the happiest two men, laughing and making jokes to each other, didn’t cover up at all, they made it off Alive.

There are certain situations where being able to say "I AM ALIVE ... Thank you, LORD" carries a gravity that the majority of people will never understand nor appreciate...

Mainer, best wishes for a full and uneventful recovery...
© 24hourcampfire