Home
...and The Greyhound's visiting sister caught a nice white king. We put in about 4 hours of fishing to get it, but it was worth it...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Beautiful.....and the fish is nice too.

CK
I can see the kicker motor is a Honda, what the other?? E-tec??

CK
Look at all that wasted belly flap!

wink
Right on bro .dave ,, nice pics
looks like you caught one only 1/2 the size of the girls. (grin)

Glad u had fun, nice pics.
Nice!!!!!!

Like the fish too. grin
Looks like salmon sharks are a bit of a problem there!

A good day!
Fillet and release, the only way to fish laugh
One of the finest eating Kings you'll ever have. Nice fish.
Those two could make a living doing tooth paste commercials! Nice fish. Jealous here.
Very nice. You'll have some thick fillets there!

I was just out fishing the other day and got my girlfriend on her first king. 43 lb. from Little Su. I'll get a picture up later.
How rare are the white kings? I hear they cook up the best. Congrats.
Yeah, I'd say that was a good day. Just cruising around with the company on board for 4 hours would have been nice enough, but you actually caught a king! Seems like a good day to me...
Good day today too....

Art, I knew you of all people would notice that....grin. Believe me, it wasn't wasted....heh...

[Linked Image]
Hot as shiit today, weren't it? Package coming your way about next Wendsday..
What the He... Looks like you boys are squinting, does that mean the sun was actually shining???? Nah, can't be! Overcast and blowing 30 all day here in southcentral...

Weather like that, it'd be tough to make that haul back to the slope!

Good day, fellas, that'll work!
Hell yeah, way too hot. Think I sunburned my noggin.....I'll watch close, for the package. How about you deliver it, and I'll take you fishing...?

CrappieKiller, they're Etecs....

I'll throw a few more pics up....
Yeah, it was way too hot for my tastes....though I'm not ready to go back to work yet....grin...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I'll give you a jingle this weekend and I DID get a burn today. Gonna chase some rainbows tomorrow.

you guys are lucky men... I guess you make your luck so I =ve been told fuuckin right on
You guys had some nice water, great weather, and great company. Plus, you caught a nice chicken. Grins...

I especially liked the picture at the fuel dock!!!!
whew.
The fuel dock has seen too much of us lately...those 200 Etecs are thirsty....
If you don't mind, how much did this weigh? I have no way of even guessing in a half intelligent manner, so I'll ask the dumb question. Did it crack the magical 100 pounds? Did one of you catch it?

Many thanks

Originally Posted by Brother Dave
Good day today too....

Art, I knew you of all people would notice that....grin. Believe me, it wasn't wasted....heh...

[Linked Image]

Thats a 20 pounder!! The Brothers are midgets! grins.

The tide books up here have a page that gives halibut weights according to length. This one was 134lbs, but I don't recall the length at the moment. I want to say 65 inches....

The 50lb'ers are less work, and the fillets on them are thinner (which I prefer), but these are a good way to start re-stocking the freezer...
relative meat.
The biggest are best, IMO. Halibut cannot compare with really good fish like Yelloweyes, other rockfish, black cod, lingcod and such... Unless it is big chunks, cold smoked and finished of in the oven or under the broiler. The thicker pieces develop a texture much like ham (and clearly tougher than almost any fish) and there is nothing else like it.

If deep-frying small pieces, halibut gets beat by gray cod IMO... And is not even close to my top ten for the purpose...
art
I find the big ones too grainy in texture. I prefer the 40-70 pound range. unfortunately, I sometimes have to settle for the 20 pounders. grin
I like the thinner fillets for sandwiches and tacos....but the only thing I really have against the bigger ones is that I suck at cooking, and they take longer. I always end up undercooking 'em...
Next time I do a batch of "heavies" I will save you some... I think you will see what I mean...
art
Sounds great. I could elevate my taste in fish...grin.

It's all sandwich meat to me...
I've had halibut once and found it vey good. It was done up in some type of crab sauce.

No real experience on ocean fish. Around here we pull walleye and lake perch.
Originally Posted by Brother Dave
...and The Greyhound's visiting sister caught a nice white king. We put in about 4 hours of fishing to get it, but it was worth it...

Are you going to set her up with Steelhead? wink
BD,

Thanks for the additional pics of the boat. The E-tec's are really starting to catch on around here. I have always ran Mercury EFI's on my bass boats and used Chevy motors in my river rigs. I thought the E-tec's were susposed to be more fuel efficient??? My next clip-on (outboard) will probably be a Yamaha or Mercury Verado (sp?).

CK
Two stroke technology has come a long way. Still, when you push big boats with big motors, fuel consumption suffers....

Our next clip-on will be an Etec....grin...

dave
Dave, you guys are getting me all fired up and I can get back there till next year. Art is right on the ling cod and yellow eye.
I guess I'll just have to suffer with the East Cape. Dorado, yellow fin, maybe try to pull some of those bottom dwellers of the reefs. wink

Dorado and yellowfin are pretty hard to beat....as are the blue water and sunshine where they live...
It's good to see you've taken the boat out and bloodied her up a bit. I finally got out for the first time this weekend. Let's see . . . 48 gals x $3.40 per gallon . . . and that's just for fuel. IT WAS WORTH EVERY PENNY. 3 days of frickin' gorgeous weather - not a single drop of rain. Musta been 'cause I forgot a t-shirt. No fish, but we weren't tryin' very hard.

As far as my favorite Alaskan seafood is, it's a tie between white king and king crab. If I could alternate every night, I don't think I'd never get sick of it. I remember when I worked at the local salmon bake and we tried serving white king to tourists off the luxury liners. Most of them refused and were insulted. I tried to tell 'em it was the best, but they wouldn't believe me. I don't know how many DSMF'in tourist would say, "I wan't my salmon WELL DONE."

What size fish won the derby over in Stick's village?

MM
Derby leader is 43lbs, though there have been several bigger fish caught and not entered.

Gas here is $3.80, and it takes 190gal to fill our boat...I'm becoming one of those guys who runs off the bottom half of the tank all the time....

The girls have been out catching fish too...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I bet they keep you busy baiting hooks, taken' fish off and cleaning fish don't they???? I would just sit back in a chair and relax with a nice beverage of choice.

Great pics.

What in the heck do you use for bait? Jigs, Spoons, live bait, cut bait????

CK
"Gas here is $3.80, and it takes 190gal to fill our boat...I'm becoming one of those guys who runs off the bottom half of the tank all the time...."

I get a whoppin' 2 mpg with my 225 EFI 2-stroke. If I'm going out it's either: (1) close by fishing - like hatchery kings just out from the harbor or (2) and extended trip - 3 day minimum. I don't burn $20-30 of gas for a 1/2 day of fishing.

I suppose you boys might be getting 3 mpg with those e-tec's?

But you got two of 'em sucking on the tit, uh, I mean gas tank.

Jeezus, I didn't think you had to "combat" fish in paradise. I see like 3 other boats close by in that one pic. Either you were showing mad fish slaying skill or they were checkin' out the chicks on board. Most likely the latter.

MM
I'd be surprised if we get more than 1.5mpg at the best, though I'm not really sure. I'll have to set the trip meter one of these days. Though two strokes have come a long way, the boat is basically 28x10' and those 200's are thirsty. I'm not generally light on the throttle....

When it's early like this, any place that starts getting good action gets a few boats piled up. Those pics of the girls are out where a bunch of charter boats hang, they weren't taken on our boat.

Wondered about the Merc tags on the engines...
Went out yesterday one more time before heading for work. Took The Boy to redeem myself, as I couldn't find him a fish the day we went out two weeks ago.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Got to wonder about the guys who look at these pictures and ask questions about the motors. I guess it's because the obvious question ("does she have a sister?") is already answered. wink

grin

Living in Iowa and being a fresh fish lover and all things related like the ocean, boats and fishing, is not an easy thing.

I've just reminded myself I've got to get back up there again.

George
© 24hourcampfire