Home

Posters,

I plan to ritire in fall of 2010 and will celebrate by going on a hunting trip to Alaska. I hunted near Manley Hot Springs in 2000 and got a nice +60" moose.

I'd like to hunt brown/grizzly and either moose or caribou. Since 2010 is an even year, the Peninsula , Kodiak, ect. are closed 'till fall.

Could you folks recommend guides for this sort of hunt?

Here's my information: I'll be hunting with my son, I'm healthty but slowing down, he's very fit. We'll be looking for a quality, fair-chase hunt with good, mature trophies (We're not really trophy hunters). We're not picky about camps and/or food but expect at least rudimentary accomadation.

I've sent for information to several guides but don't really have a way of separating the good from bad. If you've had a bad experiance with a guide I'd appreciate hearing from you too.

Please help, thanks.

I suppose others have asked this question so I'd appreciate directions to old posts too.

Grizzly

Griz, I don't know much about bear hunting but I sure like your sig. line. smile Good luck on your hunt.
Kid
Kodiak is not the same as the Penninsula on brown bears... There is a spring and fall hunt every year. However, moose are not found on Kodiak and caribou hunting there is spotty.

Look into a brown bear and caribou hunt out of Bethel. I saw more bear there than I ever saw on the Penn.
Happi ritirement grin
Yep for the combo you are looking at, I'd have to think the area around the Wood-Tikchik and Nushagak rivers would be a good choice. Unit 17 or 19 either one makes sense to me for the combo.
I'm looking at an outfitter called Alaska Bush Adventures run by Hugh & Ryan Krank. They hunt the Kuskokwim River mostly. They look good but one never really knows much about any guide from thier website/liarature.

Do any readers know anything about thier reputation, hunting area or success?

A day without gunfire is hardly worth living.
© 24hourcampfire