Home
I am watching the repeat of that show "surviving alaska" right now, had to pause it to post. The one girl is about to go on a moose hunt with a local guide. They just said moose kill and injure more people than bears in alaska. Is this true? Seems hard to believe, and I have hunted moose and bear myself.
Probably, if one considers "incidental" deaths due to plane crashes, car wrecks with moose, boating/firearms, etc.

White-tail deer (including falling out of stands and car accidents) kill more than both moose and bear combined.
Bull moose in rut is a pretty nasty customer.
Originally Posted by ULA24
I am watching the repeat of that show "surviving alaska" right now, had to pause it to post. The one girl is about to go on a moose hunt with a local guide. They just said moose kill and injure more people than bears in alaska. Is this true? Seems hard to believe, and I have hunted moose and bear myself.

Yes. And injure more people too--at least according to the stats I saw a few years ago.......

Casey
Originally Posted by ULA24

With a heavy snow fall Moose tend to congregate in areas where the snow is low (plowed) and they are irritable (especialy the cows) and they are very aggressive at these times. One must remember a Bear seldom fools with a full grown Moose.
Its been a while since I have heard of someone being stomped but it definately happens. Cows in your yard with calves are nasty customers, I have actually been kept from getting in my truck a few times cuz a cow with first year calf/calves wouldn't let me out the front door. They darn sure kill a bunch of people every year in MV vs Moose thats pretty regular.
People in Alaska kill more people every year than bears or moose do...

Dennis
And with bad intent...
The only good moose is the one in my freezer.
Woofs kill more moose than people.

...and kill more moose than are killed by people.
One could argue that moose are just plain bad for the eco-system (but good for the gastric system smile )

I think one of the biggest differences with moose vs bear risks is that moose are so unpredictable, while bears can almost be counted on to avoid humans in most situations where all parties- human and bear- are aware of each other.

Thanks for the info guys.
Float planes and duck boat tours kill more folks here than moose and bears and people.
I don't believe moose kill more people than bears, at least not in Alaska.
Keep in mind that several people have been killed by bears after this study ended. Some of the dead were Threadwell (?) and his girlfriend, and an older couple from Anchorage while in their tent.
http://www.absc.usgs.gov/research/brownbears/attacks/bear-human_conflicts.htm

I believe that the lady who told you that story should check this web site (above).
Moose are nasty tough when pizzed. I'd rather face a bear than a stompin' crazy moose. The only thing I fear more is the Missus.

Woke up startled from deep slumber one morning @ 0300 hrs. I heard shouting just outside the bedroom window. There was a hell of a racket going on! Jumped up and looked out just in time to see the wife swatting a moose in the back side with her broom! shocked She was all decked out in slippers and her night gown...and the broom of course. Seems said varmint was eating the raspberry stalks that grow on the side of the house, right behind the headboard of the bed. All the banging of the moose's head against the wall woke her up! Didn't see another dang moose in those parts for weeks whistle Seems that moose have a strong sense of self-preservation after all...

best,

bhtr
the problem comes from people feeding them in town. they come to expect it and get pissed when you don't give them a piece of bread. This little prick gave me no end of trouble, chased me up my stairs a couple times and even stole my lunch one morning.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Josh Sorensen
the problem comes from people feeding them in town. they come to expect it and get pissed when you don't give them a piece of bread. This little prick gave me no end of trouble, chased me up my stairs a couple times and even stole my lunch one morning.

grin That's real funny. He even dropped some nuggets by the steps for you.

Yes, moose get used to handouts very fast, and it could turn-out into a big problem. It's best to just cut some of the top (out of their reach) willow branches and let them hang from the tree. They eat those during the winter, and stay away from the house, except when the eat the dry flowers right but the sides of the house.

But moose in general are much like cattle with long legs. Not a good idea to step between a moose and her young, nor to get close when a male is in lust with a cow. Both cows and bulls can charge when one enters their zone of safety, but other than that, they are very predictable. Bears, dogs, wolves, etc., are much more unpredictable than the neighborhood moose.

It's much easier getting away from a moose than it's from a bear, but a couple of people have gotten killed by moose through the years. Now, moose can't be compared to bears in relation to injury and death. The average death to bears in Alaska is one very other year, or around 56 deaths in 100 years (up to 2005 in the link i posted above). Keep in mind that I am not an expert on bears, nor moose. I am just reading the data on bears from the bear studies at USGS.

...even stole my lunch one morning.

Bullying is a real problem at my son's middle school too!
Hornets and wasps kill a lot more people every year than bears, but I'm still waiting for the first post asking whether it's better to carry a can of Raid or Hot Shot while hunting elk in case a swarm of killer insects attack.

But, ask what kind of rifle to carry in case of a bear encounter, and it's almost guaranteed to get 100 replies.
But, ask what kind of rifle to carry in case of a bear encounter, and it's almost guaranteed to get 100 replies.

Too true. Kinda reminds me of the line from the original movie jaws where the mayor is warning the new sherrif (Roy Scheider) not to close the beaches yet. Pharaphrased, it went something like: If you say barracuda, people say oh? If you say SHARK, there's major panic! wink

bhtr

Tripper Lab sounded off about 5 AM this morning, front paws up on the bedroom window, looking out.

It was just "Steaks", the yearling bull calf of one of the Brat Sisters ( I think the other Brat Sister got killed by a bear while defending her new-born(s) last spring- at any rate, she disappeared, as did the sister of "Steaks". Let's see if I can find a picture of what they looked like a year ago....

Photo Bucket has efed up the system- I'll have to figure it out..... Pending....

There we go! \

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire