Posted By: Vek $184.11 Moose Hunt - 10/14/08
I guess you get what you pay for...he's only 55"

37.5 gallons of diesel @ $4.89/gallon = $183.38
Lost 30-06 case at shot = $0.25
180 gr. Nosler Partition (blem) = $0.30
60 (or so) gr. H4831 = $0.16
Primer = $0.02

Still ticked at losing the case.

I only lost 10 pounds, and the meat was in the truck about 50 hours after he died. That's a pretty easy hunt. No shortage of moose. Very popular area, too, but a bit of access work up front meant that I didn't see anyone else while hunting, and had four or five comparable bulls in the general area, based on my estimates while glassing. Tough to convince me that hunting on the cheap in AK is hopeless.

Attached picture 11152-Smilesm.JPG
Attached picture 11153-Pilesm.JPG
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: $184.11 Moose Hunt - 10/14/08
Congrats. Nice bull and that will fill the freezer for sure.

No one said you couldnt hunt AK for cheap. Most folks are to lazy to do alot of legwork to make it so. The ones that do get my kudo's.

Posted By: Cariboujack Re: $184.11 Moose Hunt - 10/14/08
Good job. Denali HIway?
Posted By: BMT Re: $184.11 Moose Hunt - 10/14/08
Jealous here. sick

Good Job.

BMT
Posted By: las Re: $184.11 Moose Hunt - 10/14/08
I didn't pay that much even - my hunting is within a 15 mile drive and 5 mile hike of home.

Good bulls in the area, but awful gun shy. I got 'em surrounded now- one for sure next year.

Of course, there's always the road kill crew option.....

Good job, Vek!
Posted By: ironbender Re: $184.11 Moose Hunt - 10/14/08
Well done! ...and if it weren't for the fuel, that would have been a 73 cent moose!

All that meat for under 6 bits! TFF! smile
Posted By: ranger1 Re: $184.11 Moose Hunt - 10/14/08
Nice! In an area where options exist, it really doesn't matter if one guy is charging $16,000 to take a guy moose hunting, those who choose to forego the babysitter can get things done too.
Posted By: MarcTaylor Re: $184.11 Moose Hunt - 10/14/08
Must've been a hell of a pack. Congratulations, Vek.

Taylor
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: $184.11 Moose Hunt - 10/15/08
Originally Posted by Vek

I only lost 10 pounds.......

Looking at things that way, perhaps you made money ....cosidering what many weight loss programs cost. (Then again, they don't usually require much work compared to hunting.) wink

But, you used a truck??? Don't tell me you live in parts where they keep the moose "trails" plowed in winter. And fuel so cheap...makes me wonder who's subsidizing that!!! (Just joshing. I know you really earned that boy, giant or otherwise, and the headgear means little when you sit down at the table. But it'll be a nice reminder of a fine accomplishment. Well done!)
Posted By: rost495 Re: $184.11 Moose Hunt - 10/15/08
Vern
Nice job!

Jeff
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: $184.11 Moose Hunt - 10/15/08
If I got this right, Vek shot this bull while floating in his Pro Pioneer and was a 100% DIY solo hunt.
Posted By: Vek Re: $184.11 Moose Hunt - 10/15/08
AkMtnHntr pinned me. But, "floating" tells only a small part of the story - the float out took all of four hours. Kind of like walking up a snowy hill then skiing down. Packing the raft and camp into the hunt area took four days, but I was not moving with too much haste, as the raft is heavy and I didn't want to hurt myself packing it overland (lots of brush, tussocks, and bad footing). I was also spotting for animals and deciding when to drop down to the river on the way in, and that took time away from hauling gear. Next time (2010, probably), I'll be able to get in there in two days without too much trouble, and thusly extend my hunting time.
Posted By: Jerryv Re: $184.11 Moose Hunt - 10/15/08
I don't see a license in the list. Is that optional in AK? smile

Jerry
Posted By: achildofthesky Re: $184.11 Moose Hunt - 10/15/08
Congrat's, nice looking pile of meat.

Be safe and enjoy the eating

Patty
Posted By: Vek Re: $184.11 Moose Hunt - 10/15/08
[quote=Jerryv]I don't see a license in the list. Is that optional in AK? smile

I didn't count it - the tag is free, and I'd already gone on a sheep hunt, for which I'd bought the license. I didn't count food/fuel either, though I'm quite sure I ate for less money than I would have at home in the same time period.
Posted By: g5m Re: $184.11 Moose Hunt - 10/20/08
Very nice!

© 24hourcampfire