Home
Howdy Folks,
I know I am old and crotchety but sure do get tired of every Trail Hunter (commonly known as "Road Hunters" in the lower 48) that passes by on their 4-wheeler, seeming to think everyone is just dieing to talk with them!
In my younger days it was not much of a problem as I would get as far as my Alaskan Mule would take me and then hike from there to a location beyond where one could ride.
Today I can no longer do that. If I can't get the Mule up to where the animal is down, we don't shoot. Subsequently, most every passer-by stops at least once to try and start/force a conversation. Standing 50 yards off the trail, have actually had people yell out: "Shoot one"?
Another time was climbing out of a valley on a muddy hillside. Wouldn't you know it, here comes someone from the other direction. Trying to be polite, we moved off the trail to let them pass. First individual pulled alongside and STOPPED. Proceeded to remove his earplugs from whatever he was listening to and tried to start up a conversation! There I am with brakes fully engaged so as not to roll back down the mountainside and he wants to shoot-the-bull! When I stated I would appreciate his letting us pass without delay, he was truly insulted.
Then there was this other time..........Oh well, I could go on and on but you get the point.
Please do not misunderstand, I have no problem with folks who want to ride around on their 4-wheeler all day, "hunting" whatever suits their fancy. They have every much of a right to be out there as I do.
The only thing I request: Don't ASSUME everyone wants to talk with you. Some folks do. I am not one of them. Please, just be on your way without being offended when I politely tell you I really don't want to talk with you.
I happen to like the peace and quiet/solitude of our Alaskan Wilderness and what it has to offer. If I wanted to shoot-the-bull with every Tom, Dick and Harry that passes by, I would live in town.
(Of course, keeping things in perspective, if this is the worst thing to happen, I am having a mighty fine day!)
Best Wishes
P.S. The exception to the above type of incidents, is if someone has an emergency and requires a helping hand. We have never refused to be of assistance when we could.
Please post pics of yourself, your wheeler, and truck so I know if I ever see ya, to keep on truckin' laugh
Funny that you call everyone that rides an atv a "roadhunter" when it appears to me that you also ride one. Guess that makes you a "roadhunter" too huh.

I second hunt_ak's post, put up some pics of yourself and your ride so we don't waste our time trying to be friendly with an unfriendly gent such as yourself. wink
Sure sucks living in a state with friendly people, there are 48 other choices down south for those that would rather be pizzed at the world.
Aww, c'mon gang. You were warned with the begining:

*I know I am old and crotchety...* smile

Hope ya feel better now, Mr Sawmill Cr. smile
I keep hearing about a place called Montana. I'm not sure, but I don't think they talk there.
Gentlemen,
Sorry I did not make my opinion clear.
We ride our machines to where we want to commence our hunt and then park them for however many days we wish to hunt.
As stated, I have no problem with anyone who prefers to ride around until they find something to shoot. I could care less.
I am very happy here in Alaska and have no desire to live elsewhere. We have been here for 18 years and hope to be privileged to spend our remaining time on earth in this great land.
And no, I am not "pizzed" at the world. Actually I am quite content with my chosen lifestyle. I try not to intrude on others and respectfully request others to extend the same consideration to myself, without their being offended simply because I don't want to converse with them.
Based on most of the replies, sounds like I may have encountered a few of you when out and about. Just not my cup of tea, so to speak.
Nevertheless, I sincerely wish all the very best to each and every one of you.
It's good to vent once in a while! wink
There I was with brakes fully engaged so as not to roll back down the mountainside, and had to stop to hear this.
Originally Posted by WindWalker
Gentlemen,
Sorry I did not make my opinion clear.
We ride our machines to where we want to commence our hunt and then park them for however many days we wish to hunt.
As stated, I have no problem with anyone who prefers to ride around until they find something to shoot. I could care less.
I am very happy here in Alaska and have no desire to live elsewhere. We have been here for 18 years and hope to be privileged to spend our remaining time on earth in this great land.
And no, I am not "pizzed" at the world. Actually I am quite content with my chosen lifestyle. I try not to intrude on others and respectfully request others to extend the same consideration to myself, without their being offended simply because I don't want to converse with them.
Based on most of the replies, sounds like I may have encountered a few of you when out and about. Just not my cup of tea, so to speak.
Nevertheless, I sincerely wish all the very best to each and every one of you.
I do this every year so don't feel to special.
So if you like to live a life of solitude and don't like to converse with other folks, why do you bother coming here?
Originally Posted by watch4bear
I keep hearing about a place called Montana. I'm not sure, but I don't think they talk there.

We down here respect our privacy. You guys should do the same. grin
Do yourself a favor and drive straight into a tree. smile

Funny thing is I don't ever see anyone when I'm out hunting then again I don't 'hunt' on the road.
Communicating with others is an essential skill in business dealings, family affairs, and romantic relationships. Do you often find yourself misunderstanding others? Do you have difficulty getting your point across clearly? When it comes to communication, what you say and what you don't say are equally important. Being a good listener is quite crucial.
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

(sic)
So if you like to live a life of solitude and don't like to converse with other folks, why do you bother coming here?

I did find some irony in that wink

The thing is, I've found that sometimes those chance conversations give you a chance to meet some really neat folks. So perhaps taking a few extra minutes for a howdy might not be such a bad thing.
I don't want to talk about this here.
I sure don't know what your problems are talking with your fellow man are?

Talking to your fellow man allows you to find out if you are in need of help. If you don't feel like a pleasant word in passing is for you, then hide out when you see people.
I have always found that a simple wave is friendly enough if I don't happen to be in the mood to banter, especially with people I don't know. Then again, if someone truly does need or want assistance, reading their body signals seems to work as well. There is never a time I won't stop. Sometimes I simply don't feel like it. 'Course, I don't drive 60 when I'm out on trails.
Hi.
Rest assured we will not have an encounter. I will not be found hunting big game in a location one can drive to.
You'd be surprised how good the hunting can be in locals that can be accessed by wheeler here in Alaska.
Yep. Plenty of places which one can "drive" to which never got walked to. No one gets to be 20 years old forever; and even fewer 20-year-olds know enough to be able to take advantage of the places they may be capable of getting to.
Originally Posted by WindWalker
Howdy Folks,
I know I am old and crotchety

It could be when they see how old you are they feel compelled to check on you, maybe to ease their own mind that you're OK out by yourself.
If you want a friend, then you have to be a friend.
Sometimes, you just don't want to talk to strangers, especially when you spent time trying to find solitude. I used to dislike people stopping uninvited to "visit" with me when I surf fished on the Texas beaches. Don't think this makes me unfriendly, just means I am not available to entertain anyone who comes by - that's not what I was out there for. I understand the original poster completely, maybe some others don't.
Alaskans are generally friendly, and the o/p comes across as pizzy, rather then someone that just wanted solitude.

Perhaps he's a transplanted Texan wink
You ever try comouflage?

[Linked Image]
I have always enjoyed the conversations I have had with fellow hunters while out on teh 4 wheeler trails. I agree that the friendly wave is probably your best option but sometimes you can learn quite a bit from a short co0nversation and have even made a few new friends that way.
Sometimes it can be: "we just shot a 60"er and there is another right there!"

worth a howdy.
Not if you're on a 60 degree greasy slick incline about to do an about face...

Assess the situation, if favorable well then chat, if not move on and save trouble...
particular incline mentioned is NOT where I wanted to have to stop either....
© 24hourcampfire