Home
Posted By: AlaskaCub One Dead Woof! - 03/04/10
Killed this gal this morning, had a black male with her that I wanted oh so badly but couldn't make it happen. Saved a few sheep today, though I cant say the same for the bou, watched 3 of these guys kill 2 Caribou in less than an hour this morning.Ranged at 358 yards with new Zeiss range finder I got from Doug yesterday morning, and killed by a POS (grin) Tikka 30-06 and 165 CoreLocs. That exit is nasty, but theres only a golf ball size hole letting everything out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Ready Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/04/10
Nice job. You getting the coat done? It looks fine.

Luck with a blck one in the future.

Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/04/10
Probably just tan it, she's not all that big. The black male that was with this one, was easily 1/3 bigger, man I wanted him bad!!
Posted By: Ready Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/04/10
Know that feeling.

Real bummer - let it not spoil your fun with this one, though.

She looks big enough from here.

How did it go? Pray tell.

Posted By: Sitka deer Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/04/10
Good Wuf, Stay! wink
Posted By: 379 Peterbilt Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/04/10
That's the best kind of woof. Niiiiiice exit hole, I love it.
The most important part of this story is......dont leave your snowshoes at home when you head to the Brooks Range in March! A 500 yard march uphill in thigh to waist deep snow sucks azz! This is the picture that you never see, me sucking wind and sweating like you know what trying to read.

[Linked Image]

You like my dragging tether?? Rescue rope with a figure 8 on a bite!
Posted By: ironbender Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/04/10
Nice going Cub!

Smart wolf, too. Learned lie down, stay in one lesson!
Posted By: SuperSeal110 Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/04/10
Nicely done.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/04/10
Great Wuff!
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/04/10
Very nice
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/04/10
Love those puff ball vests....they even work in Alaska.....
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/04/10
Great story and pics. One less wolf is a good thing.
Posted By: SKane Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/04/10
Nice going!!
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/04/10
Great looking wolf! I'd love to be able to snuff one of those out.
Posted By: brownbearhunter Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/04/10
Great job,one down more to go.Be up in April on Kodiak then off to unit 9 Penn.Hopefully my hunter's can kill a few of these.Again Great JOB..bbh
Posted By: biglmbass Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/04/10
Nice. Well done.
Posted By: 4100fps Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/04/10
Did she come off the Haul road?
Posted By: ironbender Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/04/10
Originally Posted by 4100fps

Yes. That is how one drives to the Brooks Range.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/04/10
Excellent work...
Originally Posted by ironbender

I was under the impression that within 5 miles either east or west of the Dalton Hwy. It was open to bow only? That's why I asked.
Originally Posted by ironbender

I thought it was illegal to shoot a rifle within 5 miles of the road? That was the only reason I questioned where you were.
[quote=ironbenderI thought it was illegal to shoot a rifle within 5 miles of the road? That was the only reason I questioned where you were.

It is illegal if your hunting big game animals, but operating under a trapping license changes things a bit.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/04/10
Cub, here's to many more of them critters biting the dust!!! Hope you get the big one.
Posted By: las Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/05/10
Nice Wuf.

I guess I should start reading the regulations? smile
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/05/10

I was under the impression that within 5 miles either east or west of the Dalton Hwy. It was open to bow only? That's why I asked.

Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag bud! A PM with the appropriate questions would have been a bit more tactful!
Posted By: Kodiman Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/05/10
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

It is illegal if your hunting big game animals, but operating under a trapping license changes things a bit.

Pretty sure it was "your" comment that let that "Cat" out of the bag!!!
He knows what I am talking about! He went running right over to the AOD hunting forum asking if its illegal to shoot wolves from the Haul Rd with a rifle and attached a link to this thread. Pretty damn chicken chit thing to do if you ask me. A simple PM to me would have provided all the info he could ask for, including Troopers names and numbers if he so desired.
Posted By: Kodiman Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/05/10
Congrats on killing the Wolf. Wish you would have popped the other 2 as well! I just checked out the AOD forum. He was just trying to confirm what you had already told him here. Right? Your the snitch, not him... He's askin' and your tellin..

Posted By: akjeff Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/05/10

Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag bud! A PM with the appropriate questions would have been a bit more tactful!

You posted a thread with "Brooks Range" mentioned, and PHOTO's! It doesn't take a rocket scientist from the JPL to figure out where you were. Chill out. If you don't want your "secrets" compromised, the best policy, is.......silence.

Jeff
Posted By: SU35 Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/05/10
Cub,

This place is not like it used to be a few years ago when you could share amongst friends and not worry about guarding your six from people who don't know all the details.

I learned that the hard way.

It's turned into 24 Hour WalMart.

Posted By: safariman Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/05/10
And mores the pity.

On the other hand, I have several offers to visit and hunt and fish with members there on my upcoming trip to Anchorage, Talkeetna and on up to (and a bit past) Fairbanks this Summer. Pretty terrific group of guys and gals for the most part. I am looking forward to meeting some AK members and fun in the outdoors soon.

Posted By: tangozulu Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/05/10
Originally Posted by akjeff

You posted a thread with "Brooks Range" mentioned, and PHOTO's! It doesn't take a rocket scientist from the JPL to figure out where you were. Chill out. If you don't want your "secrets" compromised, the best policy, is.......silence.

Jeff

The photo speaks volumes. There are only a handfull of places in the north you could have a full size pick-up in the Barrens.
We are in the best month of the year for wolf huntin..............continued good luck.
Jeff

It wasn't a guy asking some questions, it was him going over to another Alaska hunting forum and posting the info I shared here with pics, and then asking them if what I did was illegal? If I cant understand something and or I have more questions about something thats posted here, I guess I just ask the folks in question. Lots of thought and effort went into this from a guy that doesn't even live in Alaska!
Posted By: brinky72 Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/05/10
You can't hunt within 5 miles from the road? What's their reasoning on that one? I understand that you have a ton of real estate up their but that is kind of stupid from point of view. Is the road some sort of bait pile? With all the ignorant regs in Michigan the still let you shoot from the edge of a roadway into adjacent land as long as it is open to the public ( state of Fed owned) and as long as you are not in your vehicle. What if you live of that highway? you can't hunt your own land? I never seen this highway and been to Alaska so maybe I'm a little misinformed here but it sounds a little ridiculous.
Posted By: brinky72 Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/05/10
Next time just run it over then finish it off with your rifle. Hint, Hint, Nudge, Nudge........
Posted By: tangozulu Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/05/10
Originally Posted by brinky72
You can't hunt within 5 miles from the road? What's their reasoning on that one? I understand that you have a ton of real estate up their but that is kind of stupid from point of view. Is the road some sort of bait pile? With all the ignorant regs in Michigan the still let you shoot from the edge of a roadway into adjacent land as long as it is open to the public ( state of Fed owned) and as long as you are not in your vehicle. What if you live of that highway? you can't hunt your own land? I never seen this highway and been to Alaska so maybe I'm a little misinformed here but it sounds a little ridiculous.

In the Yukon you couldn't hunt within 3 miles of the Demster Highway in the past. I think it is only 1 mile now. The worry was that hunting from the road would keep the caribou herds from migrating accross the highway to their winteruing areas. In this case the Porcupine caribou herd.
Posted By: safariman Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/05/10
Got caught up in the rat fink vs good guys stuff and forgot the most important part of the post.....

NICE WOO-LEEFF!!!!! and great job there.
Posted By: 4100fps Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/05/10
He knows what I am talking about! He went running right over to the AOD hunting forum asking if its illegal to shoot wolves from the Haul Rd with a rifle and attached a link to this thread. Pretty damn chicken chit thing to do if you ask me. A simple PM to me would have provided all the info he could ask for, including Troopers names and numbers if he so desired.

Don't get you nads frostbit from a little informative digging on my part. I was interested for hunting purposes.
I "ran over to AOD" as you say because those are the experts on the subject. They live there. Now if you had done something illegal, and I PM'd you, you could have said what ever you wanted. I would hate to get up there and shoot a wolf, only to find I was getting pinched for it. I don't know you, or how credible you are. I appreciated the response over there.
Good luck on trapping those other wolves.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/05/10
It's 95% experts "over there".
Posted By: 379 Peterbilt Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/05/10

Don't get you nads frostbit from a little informative digging on my part. I was interested for hunting purposes.
I "ran over to AOD" as you say because those are the experts on the subject. They live there. Now if you had done something illegal, and I PM'd you, you could have said what ever you wanted. I would hate to get up there and shoot a wolf, only to find I was getting pinched for it. I don't know you, or how credible you are. I appreciated the response over there.

For my money, when I see a guy post that he killed a wolf, I could GAF less about the hair splitting technicalities. Dead wuff. Check. Next..
Posted By: gmsemel Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/05/10
Well I could care less, It would not bother me if you used a belt fed Machine gun on them. Nice wolf by the way and nice shooting too. I never been on the Haul Road, looks like fun never the less.
Posted By: Grizzly_Bill Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/05/10
AC, good job. I'm sure you saved more than a few Caribou.
Posted By: ironbender Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/06/10

Doubt Cub'll get frostbit from you.

So AOD are the "expert" because *they live there*. Ya know what? So do a bunch of the posters on this thread and this forum! wink

If you come here to hunt, pick up a copy of the regs when you buy your license -so you don't get pinched.

You don't know Cub and thusly, how credible he is? How credible are the resident experts over there on whom you are relying so heavily? How do you know?

Posted By: Kimber7man Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/06/10
Cub,

Next time, use the 257 Lazer Beam!!!
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/06/10
Dont even remind me of this, I would have more than one dead wolf had I had the 257 Lazer beam, however it is with CAS being Cerakoted, and I havent got it back yet.
[ I was interested for hunting purposes.
I "ran over to AOD" as you say because those are the experts on the subject. They live there.

Thats laughable at best, theres a reason I havent been involved in that forum for a long time, theres a whole bunch more Alaska newbies and lower 48 hunters than Alaskan "experts" posting 30-40 times a day over there , that I assure you. The Alaskans that post on this forum know a hell of a lot more than most of the folks on AOD do. Theres some good guys over there, but dont let a members post count fool you!
Posted By: JRaw Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/06/10
Lots of good folks on AOD but it's a bit over the top with the holier-than-thou crowd. A guy could post a hero pic standing next to a Trooper and the Pope and folks would still accuse him of being illegal, immoral, unethical, and the result of poor breeding.
Posted By: 99guy Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/06/10
Originally Posted by 379 Peterbilt

For my money, when I see a guy post that he killed a wolf, I could GAF less about the hair splitting technicalities. Dead wuff. Check. Next..

Couldn't have said it any better. Going to call out a guy here on a dead wolf? GTF out and go join the Sierra Club. You'll make more friends over there than here
Well said! It gets so old listening to them guys one up'n each other on morals, ethics, and pretty much everything else! The result of such is that most of the actual hunters dont participate in the forum anymore, or keep their stories and $.02 to themselves
Posted By: JRaw Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/06/10
By the way, nice wolf!

I haven't been up here very long and though I didn't know the rules specific to the Dalton I am well aware of the "trapping with a rifle" rule.

Posted By: northcountry Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/06/10

4100fps. If you were just wanting to find out info for yourself why
would you put a link over here. I think there is little more to it than that!! Maybe just be a bit inexperienced or!!!!
cheers NC
Posted By: akjeff Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/06/10
Jeff

It wasn't a guy asking some questions, it was him going over to another Alaska hunting forum and posting the info I shared here with pics, and then asking them if what I did was illegal? If I cant understand something and or I have more questions about something thats posted here, I guess I just ask the folks in question. Lots of thought and effort went into this from a guy that doesn't even live in Alaska!

I understand what you're saying Cub. While it's nice to share photo's/info with fellow 'fire members, this sort of thing is inevitable on a public forum. Which is why I stick to generalities as a rule, and almost never post pictures that would disclose a hunt location. For that sort of thing, I stick to emailing folks I know personally. Unfortunate, but that's the way it is. Also, forgot to say "Nice wolf!" BTW.....my bad.

Jeff
Posted By: hunt_ak Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/06/10
Originally Posted by cwh2
It's 95% experts "over there".

95% experts pretty much everywhere on the 'web...
Well said! It gets so old listening to them guys one up'n each other on morals, ethics, and pretty much everything else! The result of such is that most of the actual hunters dont participate in the forum anymore, or keep their stories and $.02 to themselves

Yeah, I'm not gonna lie...it does get old when people just cant be happy for one another on a hunt, for example...

Seems to be good people on most forums....just gotta wade through the BS and the BS is everywhere
Posted By: Cigar Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/06/10
Nice wolf...

I have to ask could you not get a shot on the black one?? What happened ??

I know nothing about hunting wolfs..

Shame, you post a pic and you get nailed on your spot.. Same thing happens here... I learned not to post anything with a background in it..

Btw I live in Maryland and we got a record of 77 inches of snow this year... I hated walking the 10 yards to my truck in 36" of snow let alone 500 yards up a hill, good gawd.....
Posted By: WDH Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/06/10
AlaskaCub,
Congrats on the wolf! And thank you for sharing it with us. I have a few questions about the haul road this time of year. May I PM you with a couple questions?

[ I was interested for hunting purposes.
I "ran over to AOD" as you say because those are the experts on the subject. They live there.

Thats laughable at best, theres a reason I havent been involved in that forum for a long time, theres a whole bunch more Alaska newbies and lower 48 hunters than Alaskan "experts" posting 30-40 times a day over there , that I assure you. The Alaskans that post on this forum know a hell of a lot more than most of the folks on AOD do. Theres some good guys over there, but dont let a members post count fool you!

I have found that on that website I have more problems with just a few users. Typically IMHO its a few guys who have lived in AK along time and can't see to wait to jump on anyones posts. One of the first people that comes to mind is martentrapper. That guy must never leave the house.

24hour gets about as close to a perfect AK forum as you can find, a close second is pristeventures (sp?)

Posted By: WDH Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/06/10
4100fps,
Your true character shows by what you did. Man Up next time.

Kudos to AKcub for taking it with a grain of salt.

The black one was with the female I shot, the problem was the ceiling dropped in on me (fog) and I couldn't find the black one at all, the female I shot screwed up and stayed right at the fog line (or slightly above it) and I nailed her. Both of these wolves were headed for a kill from earlier in the day made by another wolf, unbeknownst to me til after the fact. I wanted to put a stalk on the black one earlier in the day but it was near impossible to walk smack dab through the middle of 4,000-5,000 caribou. Theres just no sneaky way to do this.
Originally Posted by wyodeerhunter
AlaskaCub,
Congrats on the wolf! And thank you for sharing it with us. I have a few questions about the haul road this time of year. May I PM you with a couple questions?

Fire away!
Posted By: 379 Peterbilt Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/06/10
Originally Posted by wyodeerhunter
I have found that on that website I have more problems with just a few users. Typically IMHO its a few guys who have lived in AK along time and can't see to wait to jump on anyones posts. One of the first people that comes to mind is martentrapper.

He's a nicer guy in person than maybe he comes across on the 'net. I can see your point though, as he could be construed as a die hard debater over some issues. He is quite knowlegable on Alaska hunting and trapping. I've drank beer with him and been up in his plane, so I know first hand that he's a decent fellar. Sometimes a guys personality doesnt show on the 'net quite the way they'd wish, but I see where you're comming from.
Posted By: 1akhunter Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/06/10
nice wolf Cub,

well done, specially on the "rescue" effort to bring her home!
The black one was with the female I shot, the problem was the ceiling dropped in on me (fog) and I couldn't find the black one at all, the female I shot screwed up and stayed right at the fog line (or slightly above it) and I nailed her. Both of these wolves were headed for a kill from earlier in the day made by another wolf, unbeknownst to me til after the fact. I wanted to put a stalk on the black one earlier in the day but it was near impossible to walk smack dab through the middle of 4,000-5,000 caribou. Theres just no sneaky way to do this.

lol I know the feeling... Around here we try to "ground swat" snow geese.... It's real hard to walk up on 10,000 eyes...

Was the reference to the "257 Lazer Beam" a 257 Weatherby ??

Next Time Don't Forget the Snowshoes, I am rooting for you..
Originally Posted by AFTERUM

Ok what is a puff ball vest???
I am looking for a vest myself...
Originally Posted by Cigar

Was the reference to the "257 Lazer Beam" a 257 Weatherby ??

Yes its the Roy, I renamed it the Laser after I shot a Caribou at 425 yards a couple winters ago with little to no hold over.
Posted By: CWD Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/06/10
Nice job on the wolf!!
Posted By: ironbender Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/06/10
Originally Posted by Cigar
Originally Posted by AFTERUM

Ok what is a puff ball vest???
I am looking for a vest myself...

Patagonia.
Yup, if you look closely you'll see I am wearing the pants too. The DAS Parka was also in the truck. Picked all 3 items up when Patagonia had that wicked sale sometime ago, and that chit is worth the money I spent!
Posted By: MagMarc Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/06/10
Nice wuff!
Posted By: CWD Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/06/10
I have the whole Patagonia ensemble myself, can't beat it for the price.
Posted By: dmastin Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/07/10
Congrats on the wolf, nice color to her.
Posted By: brinky72 Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/08/10
Originally Posted by tangozulu
Originally Posted by brinky72

In the Yukon you couldn't hunt within 3 miles of the Demster Highway in the past. I think it is only 1 mile now. The worry was that hunting from the road would keep the caribou herds from migrating accross the highway to their winteruing areas. In this case the Porcupine caribou herd.

I see, it makes sense now. Does it actually make a difference with the caribou though or is it just hype?
Posted By: tangozulu Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/09/10
I think you could disscourage them from crossing for an hour or two, but the urge is so stronge I'm sure they will cross elsewhere or later.
It is a bit tough watchin all the wolves within a few 100 yards of the road though, and they are totally safe. Twenty years ago we were lookin at a monster caribou bull in October. He crossed the highway right in front of us and had a very badly broken front leg. Of course he had to be 3 miles from the road to be legal. My partner killed a smaller bull a few hours later that went #64 in all time B and C. We can only guess what the injured bull scored but no doubt he wouldn't have lasted long.
Posted By: hunt_ak Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/09/10
Cub is all that patagonia gear called 'puffball' or is that just what you call it.

What are the plans for the wolf? Rug or just tan and hang?
Posted By: ironbender Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/09/10
Originally Posted by hunt_ak
Cub is all that patagonia gear called 'puffball' or is that just what you call it.

Go to Patagonia's site.

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/product/patagonia-puff-ball-vest-special?p=19005-1-984
Patagonia Puff-Ball Vest - Special
Was $110.00 Now $70.00
L: XL: XXL

More than a few here wait with baited breath for Patagonia's web specials. One must buy quickly or sizes and colors will be limited.

Some of their more popular items are the puffball vest, DAS parka, DAS pants; all of which Cub modeled for us.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/09/10
Originally Posted by hunt_ak

What are the plans for the wolf? Rug or just tan and hang?

ironbender explained it well. I am just going to tan and hang the wolf, had I gotten that big black one I might have done something special with it.

Some folks rip on Patagonia based on the companys environmental statement, but the stuff they make is top notch. That ensemble of pants, vest , and parka are some of the best stuff I have ever bought. If you take into account what its made of, how compressible it is, and the comfort it provides, I cant think of anything that fits the bill better!
Posted By: Gristle Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/12/10
Congrats on the wolf Cub. Where is your Tundra? Surely you didn't trade down did you wink
Posted By: hunt_ak Re: One Dead Woof! - 03/12/10
Thanks for the reply on the patagonia gear guys!
© 24hourcampfire