Home
It's definite. Why hasn't anyone killed one of those wolves yet? You'd think with a bunch of snowmobiles and fresh tracks and maybe a helicopter, those wolves would be dead within hours.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hjKsKc8U6uvETx23uyhbnxK4U7RQD9ECQMI80

Autopsy: Animal fatally mauled teacher in Alaska
By DAN JOLING (AP) � 2 hours ago

ANCHORAGE, Alaska � Wolves likely killed a teacher jogging alone along a rural Alaska village road, public safety officials said Thursday.

The Alaska State Medical Examiner listed "multiple injuries due to animal mauling" as the cause of death for Candice Berner, 32, a special education teacher from Pennsylvania who began working in Alaska in August. Her body was found off the road a mile outside the village of Chignik Bay on the Alaska Peninsula, which is about 474 miles southwest of Anchorage.

The autopsy could not say which animals, said Col. Audie Holloway, head of the Alaska State Troopers, but wolves are the chief suspect.

"There's no other carnivores in that area that are out and active," he said.

Wolves, bears, foxes and other wildlife have disturbed bodies in the Alaska wilderness, but Holloway said the autopsy ruled out other causes that may have killed Berner. Additional tests could tie the death to wolves, Holloway said.

"If we're able to actually prove which animal, it will be through some kind of DNA analysis or through some expert that can maybe testify or explain how they know that it's a wolf," he said.

Troopers have plenty of circumstantial evidence leading them to point the finger at wolves.

"There were wolf tracks all around the body, and drag marks associated with those wolf tracks," Holloway said.

Tracks indicated more than one wolf was involved.

"From the number of prints at the scene, we're thinking there probably were, possibly, two, three, maybe four," Holloway said.

Villagers in the community of 105 residents already were on alert because of wolves running boldly near the community, said Johnny Lind, president of the village council.

Choosing his words carefully Thursday before the autopsy results were announced, Lind said wolf involvement was apparent.

"It's obvious. Goodness. It's obvious," he said, adding that he did not want to elaborate.

Since Tuesday, people were not traveling alone, school children were accompanied to school and armed patrols on snowmobiles were looking for wolves, he said.

"Everybody's kind of staying close to the village," he said.

Berner was based in Perryville and employed by the Lake and Peninsula School District, which oversees schools in 14 villages covering an area the size of West Virginia in southwest Alaska.

As an itinerant special education teacher, Berner would rotate among the district's five southern villages and had flown to Chignik Lake multiple times, said Rick Luthi, the district's chief operating officer.

She was originally from Slippery Rock, Pa.

Luthi said Berner during her short time in Alaska tried to take in as many experiences as she could. The district distributed a photo of her on a district outing catching crab.

"She wasn't going to miss anything about living in that area," he said.

Under 5 feet tall, Berner had boxed and lately had been training for long-distance running.

"She was a gymnast by early training and was in very good physical condition," Luthi said.

Most adult male wolves in Alaska weigh 85 to 115 pounds but they occasionally reach 145 pounds, according to the Department of Fish and Game. Females average 5 to 10 pounds lighter than males and rarely weigh more than 110 pounds. Wolves reach adult size by about 1 year of age, and the largest wolves occur where prey is abundant year round.

Attacks by wolves on humans are rare. If Berner's death is confirmed to be by wolves, it would be the first in Alaska.

Multiple calls left for the spokeswoman of the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Jennifer Yuhas, were not returned Thursday.

She was actually from my home town here in Pa. It's a shame. Sounds like it's time for some shooting......
Gee, do you think maybe our ancestors understood more about wolf behavior than today's experts?

Simple things like: "It's a predator, if it's hungry it will kill what is easy in order to eat." Humans can be pretty easy.
Well this sort of thing happens from time to time. There is a lesson here, keep a fire arm handy in wild places. With that in mind, even some of the not so wild places, its better to have a gun and not need it, then really need one and not have one. To loose ones life over something that I would not give a second though of. I am never with out easy reach of a rifle. And I live in CT.
not much for snow...but i allways do my best to thin the pak ;0
I can think of one wolf that wont be chewing on anyone or anything!...grin

Seriously though, its insane the blanket of protecttion certain social groups have put on these PREDATORS up here. Trying to turn them into stuff animals to some degree. They are friggin Predators, their only purpose for existing is to eat, usually whatever is easiest gets it, and they are pretty good at killin!I assure you that the pioneers to our land were not near as emotional about thinning them down!

If any of you ever get to watch an old movie called "My Alaska" you'll see how thinsg were done back in the day. Gunning from the air and laughing the whole time!
I read in the Anchorage paper that the dead girls father hopes no one harms the wolves because of this. Wolves will be wolves, he basically said. I think the Darwin Theory fits in here somehow.
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I read in the Anchorage paper that the dead girls father hopes no one harms the wolves because of this. Wolves will be wolves, he basically said. I think the Darwin Theory fits in here somehow.

He's an idiot and as such it's easy to see how well his daughter's head was screwed on. Typical east-coast leftist prey species.

It isn't about revenge against the wolves for killing his daughter. It's about keeping the same thing from happening to the people that still live in that community.

Wolves kill daughter good, 4 crack thugs kill daughter bad.

Every year people seem to become more and more [bleep] up as a whole.
Hell, if you recall, there was a woman jogger killed and at least partially eaten by a mountain lion in Kali back in the 90's. The cat was killed and its den was found with kittens in it. The [bleep] Kali critterhuggers immediately set up a fund to assure that the kittens would be taken care of. Not so for the children of the jogger. At least the idiots are consistent. If we forget that,our bad.
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

He's an idiot and as such it's easy to see how well his daughter's head was screwed on. Typical east-coast leftist prey species.

It isn't about revenge against the wolves for killing his daughter. It's about keeping the same thing from happening to the people that still live in that community.

Exactly. And thinking about "hoping..." demonstrates a thought process that fails to exceed the end of one's nose.
If all the people who have that approach actually experienced it...

Dennis

Steelhead you sure got that right. Cheers NC
The philosophy of "Live and Let Live" can sometimes have terminal consequences.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Yup, that pretty much sums it up!
There is an upside..... she will not breed and produce more idiots, no doubt fathered by another idiot.

Gotta love old Charles......

"shoot, shovel, shutup."
And you base your claim she was an idiot on what? Something a grieving parent said?

Got a mirror?

She was tough and young and doing what she wanted to do under unusual circumstances...
She seemed like a great and lovely young woman. Going jogging in the outdoors without regard to animal defense is something a lot of people do. Not expecting to be eaten by wolves is likely pretty normal. She was new to the area and maybe inexperienced. This is NOT EVIDENCE OF BEING AN IDIOT. Given time she might have learned to strap on the bear spray or 44 Mag. Now she won't get the chance, nor will she get the chance to teach kids and have some of her own some day. Tragedy, that's what this is. No name calling is needed.
Originally Posted by oldman1942
There is an upside..... she will not breed and produce more idiots, no doubt fathered by another idiot.

"shoot, shovel, shutup."

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
And you base your claim she was an idiot on what? Something a grieving parent said?

Got a mirror?

She was tough and young and doing what she wanted to do under unusual circumstances...

He bases his claim on the fact that he is an idiot.
Only in Alaska do you see a young mom out for a walk, pushing a toddler in a stroller through a residential neighborhood with a pistol or pepper spray on a hip holster in the middle of the day. Tis a different place!
My womans usually got her 870 pretty close by and i live in florida.
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215

Got a mirror?

He makes an idiot look good. Why is that old#@# still here?

"shoot, shovel, shutup."

And you wonder why you catch hell?

geez.

JM
RIP
Candice Berner
[Linked Image]

<snip>
The fox I'm holding up was an exciting catch, because for days he successfully avoided our snare sets, even relieving himself on a few of them... but we figured him out and now he'll be part of warm hat. Animal furs are truly the only way to avoid frostbite during Alaska winters. Next week we're hoping for a wolf. We set snares around a bait pile we made with halibut carcasses and found huge tracks nearby.<snip>

http://cberner.blogspot.com/
I really wish she had been packing a sidearm......This is a damn shame. Monashee

"shoot, shovel, shutup."

You should have your ass kicked on a daily basis.
What a great picture! And how many of us have ever wandered around where there was a critter, one time or another?

This dude oldman1942 is pretty clearly the most arrogant, self-centered, hateful person I've encountered on the 'Campfire -- and that covers a few, in nine years. No matter how one might feel about an individual you actually know, this is the wrong time to be slamming them. And when you slam someone you don't know because they were killed by wild animals -- you expose yourself for exactly what you are. And it's become very clear who and what oldman1942 from Wyoming, currently hiding in Florida, is really like. He deserves no respect and no support.

I'm very sorry we even have to deal with such a scum, when we could be using the time to express sympathy for an actual human who was worth knowing.

Dennis
I've started using the ignore feature judiciously starting a few months ago, Dennis. I like it. Got tired of wasting my time reading the drivel of oxygen thieves, like him.

Jeff
A good move. I should... whistle.

Dennis
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Only in Alaska do you see a young mom out for a walk, pushing a toddler in a stroller through a residential neighborhood with a pistol or pepper spray on a hip holster in the middle of the day. Tis a different place!

It's very sad that this young lady wasn't a gun carrier. Too often people don't get a second chance. Of course, the feds keep reassuring people that wolves will not harm a person so maybe she had been listening to the wrong source.

Of course, the feds keep reassuring people that wolves will not harm a person so maybe she had been listening to the wrong source.

Idunno about that, She was trapping wolves dude, I'm sure she carried, it hasn't been said if she was or wasn't at the time of her death.

It's a shame, all the way around. My condolences to the family and friends.

I believe I heard on one of the first radio clips that this young lady had an mp3 player on her? Not sure why that tidbit was reported unless a draw to the fact she wasn't aware of her surroundings while running? Be that as it may, I remember not too distant in the past that another young woman, jogging on Skilak Road, got hit by a bear. I think awarness of one's surroundings just came into the forefront of more people's minds. Alas, more won't pick up on it...

The report copied above suggested that wolves were the only predator out; the others (bears no doubt) were not present for obvious reasons. I suppose that this young lady had no reason to fear wolves. Times are changing...

I find it difficult to believe that villagers are keeping home and not venturing out to hunt the wolves??? That portion of the story made it sound like they are all at home huddled in fear. What a bunk of scat. Seems like the reporter set one's own fears out to hang on one's own sleeve. Probably lots safer there than walking around the Dimond Center in Las Anchorage...

By the by...been on here for over 8 years now and never once felt the need to push the button to "ignore" someone. Might need to though...
"Oldman," way to show your quality...

not!

bhtr
Originally Posted by Idaho_Elk_Huntr

Got a mirror?

He makes an idiot look good. Why is that old#@# still here?

Agree....I don't see how his comment and/or him is welcomed at this fire ......this guy is at the bottom of society....what a frickin cold hearted jerk!
Oldman is a complete and utter scumbag. The young Lady seems to have been a woman that the majority of the guys here would enjoy having for a friend if not more. Animal predation attacks are a lot like violent crime. It always happens to someone else. UNTIL it happens to you or someone close.
I'm here just to pizz you off. so deal with it.
ET, wait till the Pumas coming back where I grew up (where you live) start picking off joggers. We'll see who is stupid then.

Any person who chooses to enter an area where there are large animals capable of killing them, trusting to the "Bambi syndrome" is an idiot. As a police officer I know says (speaking of an even more dangerous animal): "the gun you left at home will not be much use." He is a daily jogger in the "civilized suburbs" outside Rochester, NY. His Colt 380 always goes along just in case.....

Your choice, your life.
The girl was a recent arrival from the east coast and probably had no idea of the danger.

Not everyone walks around pretending their ready to take on the Taliban, Bears, Aliens and Wolves.

She was a lady for heaven's sake.

JM
I don't know what type of person this woman was but she was way out of her league in this country and evidently had no one to enlighten her what a change in her life she had taken on by moving into the Wilderness with no idea on how to protect herself. I'm sure it never enter her mind that Wolves or other wild animal would consider her prey and food if they saw her running. This girl will never get another chance to learn. Maybe some other person will learn from her fate but with the mentality of the Bunny Hugger and Walt Disney society , i seriously dough it.
This is really sad. What is even sadder is that it is so much like the Sea World killer whale fiasco. My understanding is that he has killed 3 people but people still think he's Free Willie.

Note this guy's openion:

http://www.mcall.com/entertainment/all-petforum.7196365mar15,0,1359158.story?track=rss

How many people are killed by wolves in Alaska, anyway?

I had the idea this was a lot less common than bear attacks.

- Tom
Wolf attacks are very rare. Much more so than being hit by lightning. The other documented fatal NA attack in the past 20 years or so was in Northern Saskatchewan. A fine young man new to the area out for a stroll.

When your number is up....
For christ sakes, where the hell do you guys come off with the idea she didn't have a clue as to how to protect herself?
She had been running an active trapline, I'd think she had some idea of her surroundings. She came to AK from PA, could be she'd spent a lifetime in the outdoors.

I did take note of one comment she entered in her blog..

"It's so important to be alert and aware of your surroundings, because we're not in PA anymore and everything is bigger and more fierce in Alaska! "

Sounds like she had a clue to me..just ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time. And if ya don't know how that could happen, you just haven't been around....
For the past several decades...about one. Last week...

Attacking this young woman for making an error of judgement that no one else had suffered from for decades is unbelievable. Immature and self-centered beyond belief, among other errors on their part.

The young lady was happily learning how to hunt and trap in Alaska...you know, within the next six months or so she might have heard from the right person and joined the 24HourCampfire...

Would have been one hell of a lot better than some alleged people who have joined us.

Dennis
Her chances of needing iron while out running to protect herself from wolves was orders of magnitude less likely than her need to protect herself from two-legged predators in the same place...

Her diminutive size probably played the largest part in her attack...
art
I'm here just to pizz you off. so deal with it.

You do not rate high enough to piss anyone off... Pathos is an entirely different emotion...
What does it take to ban someone? This is ridiculous.
Yes,it sure is. A pox on his filthy mouth, and brain.

Prayers for that Lady, and those who held ( and will hold her memory) dear.

GTC

Never had any trouble ignoring him.

I take no more notice of his posts than the ad at the top of the page.

Ooops! Sorry, Rick.

- Tom
Big 10-4 muledeer.
That dork gives himself far too much credit. He doesn't piss me off, he just makes himself out to be a rather idiotic travesty. Now if HE were to become the main course for a pack, I likely wouldn't waste any time being bothered by it.
DFTFT???
That a'int happened yet and probably won't because unlike you, in the former Empire State, we, in the Equality State, live with them day in and out, as well as other far larger predators BUT don't wander around in Nikes and tights unarmed.

I really think we need to send you some to cut down on suburban sprawl........

Soon to be California "east".
That a'int happened yet and probably won't because unlike you, in the former Empire State, we, in the Equality State, live with them day in and out, as well as other far larger predators BUT don't wander around in Nikes and tights unarmed.

I see your still afraid of the dark in the "equality state". Take your oldballs back to NY and do western humanity a favor.

Thanks in advance....
Roscoe, he can take 'em to New Joisey. Or better, Massachussets.He misses the point though. I believe the Alaskans would verify that there hasn't been a wolf/human predation attack in recent memory and the unfortunate young Lady was jogging near a village. I would venture that our Alaskan compatriots here at least formerly viewed wolves as targets of opportunity rather than a severe threat. This changes everything.
have seen far more bears than I have wolves and you're a lot more likely to get chewed up by one of them than by wolves and the subject has been beaten to death "how to survive in bear country, yada, yada, yada"

running around in the wilds is far less risky than driving to work, but I guess we take solace that help is close by, either to mend you or bury you and familiarity breeds contempt

you take what precautions seem prudent to your situation, but it ain't ever foolproof. When your gig is up, it's up. And when it ain't it ain't.

she seemed far more prepared to deal with and embrace her environment than many of the schoolteachers that were hired to work the bush back in the 70's & 80's when the bush was recruiting schoolteachers far and wide to teach their children in villages and IIRC the majority of them survived, whether they stayed long term or not.

gotta agree with Art, her size probably worked to her detriment in this situation

you can shoulda, coulda, woulda these situations beyond sane discussion

feel real bad for her and her family, her last moments on this earth weren't joyful would be my guess, I hope she had many moments of joy prior in her far too short life.

she suffered a rare but cruel fate, it would seem to me decency would preclude making disparaging comments about her. YMMV

Right, i've heard there's lots of wolves in Florida. Dumba$$......

JeffA Thanks for the window into this young lady's life she
seems to have drank deeply of the life in Alaska and wanted
to experience it all. Once again Thanks. Cheers NC
I spent enough time fishing and hunting in Alaska to have a great respect for all wild animals there. It's not like you're entering a caged lion's den either. I'm not someone paranoid to the point of always carrying heat, just in case. I actually had more respect or wariness of running into a mama moose with a calf than a bear. A moose will kill you just as dead as a wolf or bear, they just don't eat you when they're done. Moose don't see very well and it's very easy to unknowingly sneak up on them. When you see the hackles raise up on a mama moose, it's time to leave.

I've carried a rifle slung over my shoulder while fishing along a river where literally every soft spot on the bank had pie plate sized brown bear tracks. I've seen two wolves chase down and kill a caribou calf. I've been thirty feet from a teenage brown bear without a weapon. My buddy and I "gave" a deer he killed to a Kodiak brown bear. I still never felt the need to ALWAYS pack heat. Common sense is a person's best defense in Alaska.

To critsize someone for not packing heat at every moment of every day while being in the woods is just not how it is.

I feel very, very sorry for the gal and her family and I'm not trying to be callous or insensitive to what happened but it's part of living and being an Alaskan. There are risks associated with being outside in the woods or even on the waters and I gladly accepted that as part of the lifestyle. Living in Alaska IS a lifestyle and not just a place to live.

1akhunter said it well.

"I feel real bad for her and her family, her last moments on this earth weren't joyful would be my guess, I hope she had many moments of joy prior in her far too short life. She suffered a rare but cruel fate, it would seem to me decency would preclude making disparaging comments about her".

OLDMAN,

Your comments in this thread are rude and obnoxious, once again, and that's putting it mildly. You don't deserve to be a member of the fire.

fish head

ALL of my cars and truck has a spare tire and jack in them, I never need them. Now I wonder if this has been a mistake carrying them when I never need them? I guess it's time to quit carrying my .357 mag in my front pocket, after all I haven't needed a handgun for protection for the last 35 years. And I really only needed a handgun twice in my life for protection.
Originally Posted by 3sixbits
ALL of my cars and truck has a spare tire and jack in them, I never need them. Now I wonder if this has been a mistake carrying them when I never need them? I guess it's time to quit carrying my .357 mag in my front pocket, after all I haven't needed a handgun for protection for the last 35 years. And I really only needed a handgun twice in my life for protection.

To each his own.

Every once in a while I run with scissors in my hands just to keep things spicey. eek

fish head
The wolves are dead now!

http://www.adn.com/2010/03/15/1184827/officials-kill-wolves-responsible.html
Sad, sad story. I just read her blog and she seemed like the kind of teacher that I would have wanted teaching my kids. A lot of common sense and a love of nature. Too bad she didn't have her bear spray with her on this jog...

Johnny $
I glad to see that the F&G eliminated the wolves. It's still a very sad story.

Well wishes to her family,

fish head
Speaking of idiots....

Can't say about the woman - after 42 years in Alaska, I still sometimes go walkabout armed only with my good looks. smile Not often, but sometimes. Guess that makes me an idiot too.

If her old man actually made that statement about "hoping it won't be taken out on the wolves, then HE is indeed an idiot. Doesn't mean she was, tho one must question the sanity of anyone running thru wild country (or on busy streets) unaware of anything but their Mp3.

As I recall, a few years ago there was a Darwin Award to some Calif. jogger running a cliffside trail, so grooved out on his music that he missed the jog in the trail and went over a 200 foot cliff.

Of course those wolves responsible have to be eliminated - they made a deliberate attack on a human, unlike, say, a sow bear with cubs that defensively whacks an intruder and then runs like hell.

Already i've seen the Lupus uber alles crowd trying to spin this into several young wolves deprived of their alpha female/male "training" (by those evil human trappers) "making a mistake". As if they have a clue....

Now THOSE are idiots!

add-on. After some further reading, including her blogs, I'd say she was a young woman with her head fairly well attached, and no serious illusions about the wild. I tend to believe that any report that she was zoned out on Mp3 may well have been inventive reporting- she seemed to have been conscious of the need to be situationally aware when out and about.
Applying the current social outlook on violent human behavior to wolves in action is a serious error.

Of course, applying the current outlook on violent human behavior to humans is a serious error...

None of which excuses the despicable bahavior of some of the people demonstrating their utter failure of character and values, to say nothing of morals, on this and other threads about this situation. People not welcome in Alaska, for certain.

Dennis
It appears to me she was a fine young woman with everything going for her. Sometimes bad things happen to good people.
Yep...I have nothing but respect and sadness for her. There are some other people to whom I was in most recent reference...

Dennis
Originally Posted by 1akhunter
have seen far more bears than I have wolves and you're a lot more likely to get chewed up by one of them than by wolves and the subject has been beaten to death "how to survive in bear country, yada, yada, yada"

running around in the wilds is far less risky than driving to work, but I guess we take solace that help is close by, either to mend you or bury you and familiarity breeds contempt

you take what precautions seem prudent to your situation, but it ain't ever foolproof. When your gig is up, it's up. And when it ain't it ain't.

she seemed far more prepared to deal with and embrace her environment than many of the schoolteachers that were hired to work the bush back in the 70's & 80's when the bush was recruiting schoolteachers far and wide to teach their children in villages and IIRC the majority of them survived, whether they stayed long term or not.

gotta agree with Art, her size probably worked to her detriment in this situation

you can shoulda, coulda, woulda these situations beyond sane discussion

feel real bad for her and her family, her last moments on this earth weren't joyful would be my guess, I hope she had many moments of joy prior in her far too short life.

she suffered a rare but cruel fate, it would seem to me decency would preclude making disparaging comments about her. YMMV

VERY well said, Randy. +1.

Jeff
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I have to agree with this! Although in both scenarios you listed the urge to get some live target practice would be immense.......
And Alaska, at least much of the rural parts I know of, is still safer in terms of threats from man or beast collectively than many other parts of America are. There are a lot of other things that can get you, but being armed on every occasion has never crossed my mind. Mostly, the "just in case" weapon in winter gets carried for potential food gathering if necessary, not for protection from the wild things - although to speak of such does make the fiber of some fine yarns.

Long and well may this young woman be remembered, and her killers thought of no more.
FWIW, My buddy was the primary investigating Trooper in this case and there was never any doubt that wolves were responsible for the death.
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
She was actually from my home town here in Pa. It's a shame. Sounds like it's time for some shooting......

And all the Hollywierd whackos wonder what the heck Alaskans are trying to accomplish with aerial wolf hunts.
Like I had said earlier, to loose ones life for the lack of a fire arm, is in my mind very sad. Its something I never think about because I always have one nearby. As for the lady in question. Seems she was a good one. And good ones are hard to find.
can't blame you for keeping a firearm handy, tis a good thing imo&e

but having a handgun on your person might have not been enough to prevent THIS tragedy.

only she knows how it went down, but I doubt those wolves approached her snarling and growling like they do in movies or the way the rogue dog of the neighborhood does.

I can easily envision any of us going for a run in this scenario, handgun holstered or in a fanny pack of some sort, concentrating on your breathing and your form and BINGO

something hit you hard on your knees with a tearing pain in the back of your leg and you're going flying azz over teakettle in the gravel. Before you can even comprehend what's happening you're being ripped and shredded from too many directions to even get a firm grasp upon where to direct your counter attack. You might try and reach your firearm but a furry block of body prevents you from doing so or that arm gets chomped down on, as you tilt your head back to scream in excruciating agony one latches onto your throat and lucky for you sweet peace comes shortly after.

when wolves are hunting and due to the predation and her small size I believe they were in this instance, you're not going to get a warning, most likely just ambushed.

yep carrying a gun is a good thing but it ain't foolproof.

even the old saw "don't bring a knife to a gunfight" rings hollow if you meet a real sociopath that you don't even know and as you nod in greeting as you pass each other in the street he slips 7 inches of steel between your ribs without ever giving you a hint there was gonna be trouble. Then your gun is just added to you wallet and watch as his spoils.

believe I mentioned earlier when your time is up, it's up

either of those scenarios and you're most likely dead, packing heat or not.
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
can't blame you for keeping a firearm handy, tis a good thing imo&e

but having a handgun on your person might have not been enough to prevent THIS tragedy.

only she knows how it went down, but I doubt those wolves approached her snarling and growling like they do in movies or the way the rogue dog of the neighborhood does.

I can easily envision any of us going for a run in this scenario, handgun holstered or in a fanny pack of some sort, concentrating on your breathing and your form and BINGO

something hit you hard on your knees with a tearing pain in the back of your leg and you're going flying azz over teakettle in the gravel. Before you can even comprehend what's happening you're being ripped and shredded from too many directions to even get a firm grasp upon where to direct your counter attack. You might try and reach your firearm but a furry block of body prevents you from doing so or that arm gets chomped down on, as you tilt your head back to scream in excruciating agony one latches onto your throat and lucky for you sweet peace comes shortly after.

when wolves are hunting and due to the predation and her small size I believe they were in this instance, you're not going to get a warning, most likely just ambushed.

yep carrying a gun is a good thing but it ain't foolproof.

even the old saw "don't bring a knife to a gunfight" rings hollow if you meet a real sociopath that you don't even know and as you nod in greeting as you pass each other in the street he slips 7 inches of steel between your ribs without ever giving you a hint there was gonna be trouble. Then your gun is just added to you wallet and watch as his spoils.

believe I mentioned earlier when your time is up, it's up

either of those scenarios and you're most likely dead, packing heat or not.

Tis always better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
can't find anything in my posts to contradict that statement.

merely pointing out that EVEN when you need it and have it, you may not get to employ it.

sad but true, and factual
There is never a fool-proof means of protection or way to employ it, regardless of what scenario one wants to spell out.

Even still, in AK the wolf populations are getting out of control. There is no other explanation for why the federal courts wouldn't put an end to the aerial hunts up there. This teacher's death proves what I'm getting at.
believe we're in agreement SPH

though I'd like to think the FEDS wouldn't get involved because the aerial hunts take place over state lands vs. federal

even our state would employ less controversial means to control wolf populations if they could, but what else works besides poison? and it's use is too indiscriminate.

tourism is big biz here, the state doesn't want to offend anyone wanting to drop a few dollars here.

but they're stuck with us yahoos after the tourist season is over wondering what happened to the prey population?

I don't know that the teacher's death PROVES the need for predator control, but it certainly adds to the argument for predator control. But I thought that was what game management's intended purpose anyway. To manage game, both prey and predator.

Gotta love old Charles...... shoot, shovel, shutup.

Blunt and "pithy," Oldman! And +1! wink
Redundant stupidity needs not be replenished. Hopefully oldman took his own advice, or perhaps his offspring took a less foolish path just as this young woman seemed to be taking from that which her father seemed to be on. I have little doubt that one who would willing trap and kill a lesser cousin of the wolf would not be pitying those animals which brought her own demise.

Wolves are not out of control in Alaska. They are out of control in some places and need some balance, emplyed from the air if that is what it takes. I have no problem at all with that method. I would have issues if it was a method being employed statewide. The population and conditions here are fair enough that trappers and hunters to have opportunities to take them, yet they aren't overly hard on the prey species.
© 24hourcampfire