Home
Got this Mountain Caribou in the Yukon Territory (Sept 19/10) while hunting with Yukoner.

After deductions, it scored 408 5/8" B&C (green). 390" is the min. for the book. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yukoner also got a very nice one on the same day with his custom FN 9.3x62.

[Linked Image]
Nice Bou!! Way to go did you fly in to Teds lake?
Caribou are like women, good top, or good bottom, but seldom both. That critters got both. Congrats.
Beautiful Caribou! I love the white cape as well as the headgear.

ddj
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Caribou are like women, good top, or good bottom, but seldom both. That critters got both. Congrats.

I like that analogy. smile

Congratulations on a great Caribou Paul!

Kevin
Veddy nice!

Coupla beauties!

(the 'bou!) wink
I had never eaten caribou before this trip. They taste good! My main objective was to only buy a moose tag, but was encouraged to get a caribou tag as well. I'm glad I listened to Yukoner's advice. grin

nice work fellas nice pile of bou you got there.
Again, wow!! Didn't realize that he was that nice!!
Congratulations on a fine, fine hunt. Yukoner is good people.
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I had never eaten caribou before this trip. They taste good! My main objective was to only buy a moose tag, but was encouraged to get a caribou tag as well. I'm glad I listened to Yukoner's advice. grin

Nice job, and indeed they do taste good. And if you tried the tongue, you can probably understand why some animals have been killed mainly for their tongues in times past. I love fried caribou tongue.
Awesome bulls there Supercub! Thanks for the pics.
Very nice bulls. What did you use? Which 9.3x62 did your buddy use?
Originally Posted by AB2506
What did you use?

Model 700 in 375 Chatfield-Taylor built by Bevan King.

Originally Posted by AB2506
Which 9.3x62 did your buddy use?

Commercial FN action built by Bevan King.

Wow! Great caribou! Congratulations!
Ted's a good guy and obviously capable of finding the big ones.
Congrats on the great bou! Goes to both of you guys. My favorite caribou antlers are those from mountain caribou that have a nice C shape, high degree of symmetry, and a lot of mass. Your's had all of those attributes in spades.
Congratulations on the nice caribou!

Congrats
Your helping put Yukon on the map as THE place for Mtn Caribou. Great to see a couple hunters living 5 thousand miles apart gettin together for a hunt. Now..............did you get a moose?
Originally Posted by tangozulu
Now..............did you get a moose?

We pretty much stopped hunting for moose after bagging those two caribou. I was more about the trip in itself than killing a lot of game, so shooting a moose wouldn't have made it any better than it already was. Besides that, everything was coming out on a floatplane, so it would have been very expensive to shoot a moose and pay for an extra "meat" trip out.

I'll get a moose next time. smile

Abig congrats, very nice 'bou and sounds like a great hunt
Very cool. Sounds like a wonderful trip.
Way to go!
Just got the official score. The measuring was done under better conditions than the green scope, so it scored higher.

B&C min is 390". Green score was 408 5/8". Offical score after 60 days was 412 7/8".

Now I have to figure out how to get the mount home from the Yukon. frown

sweet , I likey when they come out bigger than you first thought. congrats agian!

We pretty much stopped hunting for moose after bagging those two caribou. I was more about the trip in itself than killing a lot of game, so shooting a moose wouldn't have made it any better than it already was. Besides that, everything was coming out on a floatplane, so it would have been very expensive to shoot a moose and pay for an extra "meat" trip out.

Wow, I'd have figured, time already spent on the trip, an extra floatplane load of meat would be MUCH cheaper than starting all over again, but that gives an excuse to go back doesn't it.
Happy Birthday Jeff.!!
Couldn't quite get to AK to celebrate... but guess I"ll do ok here.
Thanks, JEff
Originally Posted by kid0917
Happy Birthday Jeff.!!

I'll second that: Happy B-day to one of the Campfire good guys!
Originally Posted by rost495

Wow, I'd have figured, time already spent on the trip, an extra floatplane load of meat would be MUCH cheaper than starting all over again, but that gives an excuse to go back doesn't it.

Not only that, but I'd have to fly the meat back home on the airline. Extra bags are $100 each with good old Air Canada.

...... and yes it is an excuse to go back if I get the chance. ; )

Holy moly that is a dandy caribou. Congrats.
Originally Posted by Colin_Matchett
Holy moly that is a dandy caribou. Congrats.

The credit largely goes to my host in the Yukon. I was just the lucky trigger guy. smile

Looks more like a Lake Caribou. Rough looking character, but nice caribou.
© 24hourcampfire