Home
Posted By: MuskegMan Deer "Rescue" (Pic Hvy) - 10/04/10
Story goes like this:

On trip to Taku Harbor some folks encountered four deer swimming. [to me it looks just north of Grand Island and a bit south of Slocum Inlet] They figured they maybe had about ten or fifteen minutes left before drowning. They swam to the boat, They lassoed them and brought them on board. Only one was able to stand when we got to Taku Harbor about 30-45 minutes later. Got them off boat, one (strongest) walked on dock, jumped in and swam to shore, we walked two more up after we could get them to stand and then rubbed down the last one and half carried him to top of dock. He had stood up for a bit and if he could get a bit warmer and rest for half an hour probably could join his buddies. Four "button" bucks that will hopefully produce smarter offspring....what an experience.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Deer-8M.JPG[/img]

I think I posted a picture of a brown bear swimming in this general vicinity earlier in the year.

Posted By: watch4bear Re: Deer "Rescue" (Pic Hvy) - 10/04/10
Well done!
Great Story and pics, thanks for that!! I'm amazed they were willing to swim to the boat.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Deer "Rescue" (Pic Hvy) - 10/04/10
Wow. Great job! Could be a dangerous one too. Glad they were that worn out in one way
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Deer "Rescue" (Pic Hvy) - 10/04/10
What's really amazing is that a pod o f killer whales didn't eat them for breakfast. Cool pics and kudos for saving those youngsters from certain death.
Posted By: ChipM Re: Deer "Rescue" (Pic Hvy) - 10/04/10
Great story and photos.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Deer "Rescue" (Pic Hvy) - 10/04/10
Just wanted to clarify that I did not rescue or have anything to do with this rescue. I just posted the narrative of what happened. This is my stomping grounds south of J-town tho.

I rubbed the faces of those involved as I'm not exactly sure how Fin, Fur and Feathers feels about folks "helping" animals this way.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Deer "Rescue" (Pic Hvy) - 10/04/10
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
What's really amazing is that a pod o f killer whales didn't eat them for breakfast. Cool pics and kudos for saving those youngsters from certain death.

Not a whole lot of KW's around this time of year.

Buddy watched a KW kill a moose that tried to swim from Gustavus (mainland) over to Pleasant Island.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Deer "Rescue" (Pic Hvy) - 10/04/10
Didn't know that, but I had heard a story about some killer whales killing and eating a couple of moose that were trying to swim across a huge bay. Not sure exactly where it was though.
Posted By: battue Re: Deer "Rescue" (Pic Hvy) - 10/04/10
If a Deer thinks: "Here I almost died from drowning and now I'm being hung. I should have stayed in my bed."
Good on you. Fat little critters they been eating good.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Deer "Rescue" (Pic Hvy) - 10/04/10
That's pretty cool. Great pics.
Posted By: UncleJake Re: Deer "Rescue" (Pic Hvy) - 10/05/10
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
.... as I'm not exactly sure how Fin, Fur and Feathers feels about folks "helping" animals this way.

Was wondering the same thing.

I've been guilty of rescuing some animals myself, in the past. Can be hard at times to tell yourself: "Let 'em be. Nature will take it's course."
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Deer "Rescue" (Pic Hvy) - 10/05/10
Way to go Muskegman, er, or your unknown assistants. Screw F&G if they have a problem with it. Its mans humanity to animals, even though we argue constantly about the best way to kill 'em.
Kudos to your crew from the wife, who just saw the pics.
Posted By: SKane Re: Deer "Rescue" (Pic Hvy) - 10/05/10
That's pretty cool. Thanks for posting the report.
Very enjoyable/interesting pics and story. It makes one wonder if they will be susceptible to fear human contact less.

Thanks for posting this.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Deer "Rescue" (Pic Hvy) - 10/05/10
Its almost like they came over asking for assistance. Pretty neat actually. Course we save them on monday and kill 'em on saturday.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Deer "Rescue" (Pic Hvy) - 10/05/10
Well done, only big game hunters would do something like that. Those guys are not very big, I would love to just look at those all day.
Posted By: las Re: Deer "Rescue" (Pic Hvy) - 10/05/10
I was clearing grass clumps from an abandoned strip on the AK Pen years ago, so we could use it for bigger planes and crosswind for our ADF&G fish counting station. A cow caribou came trotting across the tundra and right up to me- like about 10 feet. A few minutes later I heard wolves howling not far off. She stayed right there for the next 5 or 6 hours, never more than 30 yards or so.

Any port in a storm.....
Posted By: las Re: Deer "Rescue" (Pic Hvy) - 10/05/10
Oh yeah, that wheelbarrow picture is a classic! smile
Posted By: biglmbass Re: Deer "Rescue" (Pic Hvy) - 10/07/10
Neat story; great pics.
Awesome story and pics! laugh
I see them all the time swimming from around Elfin Cove to Three hump in Cross Sound. They seem to be able to make that swim no problem.
© 24hourcampfire