Home
Posted By: colorado Scope for a brown bear hunt - 03/06/11
Buying a new stainless 375 H&H tomorrow for my brown bear hunt. I'm going to need a scope for it. I have a Leupold 1.5 - 5x on my 500 Jeffery I like a lot. Some folks have recommended an illuminated scope, I want one with enough eye relief and one that will stand up to recoil. I'm thinking of the Leupold 1.5 - 5x illuminated, just wondering if it has enough light gathering for a fall brown bear hunt. Another option is the Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x50mm Illum. Reticle.
I'd get a Leupold 3-9X40 VX-II, in fact that's exactly what I did.
Posted By: akjeff Re: Scope for a brown bear hunt - 03/06/11
If your hunt is in the fall, you'll likely be hunting up close, along salmon streams. Another 1.5-5 that you're already familiar with, is probably a good idea. Have yet to use one of the new 3x's, but one of them, or a fixed 4x at the most should do. I'd think the 3.5-10 would be a pretty impractical scope for such hunting, on such a rifle. JMO.

Jeff
I seriously doubt you need lots of magnification. Bear shots are generally relatively short. I would imagine 9-ish power might be a frequent cause of ground shrinkage issues. I have never felt under-powered with a 2.5X on my bear rifles. That would be my choice, but the 1.5-5 would be near the top if that was one I was quite familiar with.
I'm really not looking for much magnification, just wondering if I need more light gathering than my Leupold 1.5 - 5x will provide. If not, I'll just move the Leupold 1.5 - 5x over from my 500 Jeffery.
Posted By: akjeff Re: Scope for a brown bear hunt - 03/07/11
That might not be a bad plan at all. If it's survived the .500, it's obviously mechanically sound. Quite frankly, if it's so dark that a shot can't be made with a 1.5-5x, it's probably too dark for a quick recovery anyway.

Jeff
Sounds like a plan. It will save me some money too and I can shoot the 500 Jeffery with open sights when we go to the range. A few shots through the 500 Jeffery and the 375 H&H will feel like a 30-06 afterwards.
The little Luppy's let you see just fine in bad lite!
Sounds like a plan, I'll use the money I've saved by not having to buy a new scope for the rain gear I'll need ...
My guide rifle is a 375 H&H with a Leupold 1.5 x 5 scope. It is wise to get a stainless rifle with a synthetic stock. The Leupold 1.5 x 5 scope will get the job done.
welcome to the campfire.... I have a copy of your lodge video, would love to visit some day.
Posted By: SKane Re: Scope for a brown bear hunt - 03/07/11
Chuck,

The Leupold 1.5x5 is a good scope with good eye relief.

I'd never go back for brownies in the fall without some sort of illuminated or fiber optic dot. You can use a bigger objective to "gather" light but you still have to see the reticle - damn near impossible at dark-thirty or even later against a dark bruin.

For me, about model perfecto is the Trijicon 1x4;
http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TR24-3G

And good luck on the hunt. You're likely obsessing over every piece of equipment, scenario etc., and will continue to do so until you depart. laugh

Maybe I'll buy a Leupold 1.5 - 5x illuminated then. I really like the 1.5 - 5x, it's light, very quick to acquire at close range and 5x is plenty for max power.
Posted By: Pete E Re: Scope for a brown bear hunt - 03/07/11
Originally Posted by colorado
Maybe I'll buy a Leupold 1.5 - 5x illuminated then. I really like the 1.5 - 5x, it's light, very quick to acquire at close range and 5x is plenty for max power.

I'll start saying I know nothing about bears or bear hunting, but how about a good quality 4x32mm or 4x36mm with a German No 4 /Illumination relicule???

I put a 4x32mm Meopta of a 9.3x62mm for a trip to RSA, and it really worked well..

The 32mm objective will mean the scope is slightly brighter without it becoming too big and bulky...

Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by colorado

I'll start saying I know nothing about bears or bear hunting, but how about a good quality 4x32mm or 4x36mm with a German No 4 /Illumination relicule???

I put a 4x32mm Meopta of a 9.3x62mm for a trip to RSA, and it really worked well..

The 32mm objective will mean the scope is slightly brighter without it becoming too big and bulky...

A 4X is sometimes too much for a shot at a deer in the forest, much less a bear closing fast. It's just me, but I'd have a forward mounted 2.5X Leupold Scout scope (that I could remove quickly) with backup ghost ring irons.
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

A 4X is sometimes too much for a shot at a deer in the forest, much less a bear closing fast. It's just me, but I'd have a forward mounted 2.5X Leupold Scout scope (that I could remove quickly) with backup ghost ring irons.

I've seen that said before, its not a problem I've encountered.

I tried a 1.5-6x42mm S&B and hated the thing with a passion when it was cranked down to below 2 1/2 power..

That said, the first scope I used extensively was a x4 SUSAT so may be I am just plain comfortable with a x4..

Re the iron sights, I would think that is a good idea...

On an expensive hunt like that, it would'nt harm taking a second pre zero'd scope in QD mounts along as a spare..
Posted By: VernAK Re: Scope for a brown bear hunt - 03/07/11
Your 1.5X-5X will work just fine and they have a good reputation for handling the weather you may encounter.

That said, I bought 1x-4x trijicon last year with the post/triangle reticle and had use for it right against dark on a bull moose....It will stay on my 375.

The Trijicons are heavier and the 20mm [1.25X-4X] is too short for most 375s.

Good luck on your bear hunt!
Posted By: SKane Re: Scope for a brown bear hunt - 03/07/11
Vern-

The nice thing about the Trijicon is that it's always "on"....
No batteries to worry about or mess with.
There's the same question posted over on Accuratereloading. Was that one by you? Just wondering.
Anyway, I use a Leupold, Vari-X III, 1.5-5x scope on my .338 mag. This rifle is mainly my moose rifle and has been used on Afognak Island for elk. Both areas have thick brush/timber and open areas as well. Grizzlires are a possibility in our moose hunting area and we've run into what seems like countless brown bears on Afognak. Never, ever, would I want a scope with high power - even a variable. In addition, I've never seen the need for the illuminated crosshairs. The principle is
simple - KISS!!! In addition, I'd recommend a set of open sights on the rifle as a backup should something happen to your scope. You've got lottsa money & time tied up with your hunt and open sights are cheap insurance. Don't even go there with "take an extra scope on your trip" comments. That doesn't fly with me.
In addition, I wouldn't use a scope that was over a 1x variable. Up close & personal and you can well be looking at nothing but fur. Had that happen to my partner on Afognak with his fixed 6x. In short, get a top quality, 1-xx variable scope & use QR mounts. My preference is my 1.5-5 Leupold and, as I recall, the crosshairs are the THICK duplex. Fast target acquisition. Just my thoughts & good luck.
Bear in Fairbanks
Originally Posted by Bear_in_Fairbanks
Don't even go there with "take an extra scope on your trip" comments. That doesn't fly with me.

Just curious, but why not? Not suggesting the OP carries it with him while hunting, but I don't see why a spare pre zero'd scope back at camp isn't good insurance against Mr Murphy..
Don't even go there with "take an extra scope on your trip" comments. That doesn't fly with me.

Just curious, but why not? Not suggesting the OP carries it with him while hunting, but I don't see why a spare pre zero'd scope back at camp isn't good insurance against Mr Murphy..

Back in camp, yes. You still need irons on the gun, IMO.
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Back in camp, yes. You still need irons on the gun, IMO.

Like I said previously, I wouldn't disagree with that...

Pete:
It's just that I wouldn't trust sticking another scope on the rifle then possibly getting a shot on game. How do you KNOW that the replacement scope is on? Simple, you don't and I don't care what any manufacturer says. In addition, supppose you're several miles from camp, and happen to notice your scope is fogged over, or you accidentally took a spill - can't see thru it. What are ya gonna do?
As I wrote, open sights are cheap insurance. I just had a set put on my Extreme Weather, .270 WSM for about $170. I'm gonna be protected on our next sheep hunt. Ak. hunting isn't a short, weekend, inexpensive event, even for we residents like it is in the Lower-48.
Those are my reasons.
B.I.F.
I just ordered a Remington XCR II in 375 H&H. It will be here this weekend. It does have open sights. By the way I used Talley QR mounts on my Leupold 1.5 - 5x on my 500 Jeffery. I've had it on and off about a dozen times. It's always within 1/2" at 100 yards when I put it back on. I'll either bring both rifles or bring both scopes plus irons. And yes I posted it on AR too ...

Thanks for all of the great responses, never too old to learn ...
I just bought a Rem 700 XCR (not the II) in 375 H&H a couple months ago. Looks like we'll have very similar setups. Same rifle/rings, but I put a 2-7X32 scope on mine. Good compromise between a 1-5 and 3-9 IMO. Also has open sights as well if I need them.

I used the leupold 1.75-6X for most of my hunting in Alaska. It was fine in the alders and "gathered" enough light for evening shots. I never figured I wanted an illuminated scope for bear hunting. If its too dark to see the reticle, it's probably too dark to go poking holes in a bear.
Posted By: dawaba Re: Scope for a brown bear hunt - 03/08/11
For years, I've used a B&L Balvar in 1.5x6 on my .375. I had no problems at all, but the scope is a straight tube with no objective bell, so I got to thinking (misguided?) that I might need a little more light gathering.

So, when I found a used Zeiss Conquest 1.8 x 5.5 x 38 on Ebay, I bought it. It is brighter than the B&L and has that big Conquest eye box. I love the Conquest in the 3x9 and 2.5x8, so we'll see how its little brother fares on POW blackies this May.
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
I used the leupold 1.75-6X for most of my hunting in Alaska. It was fine in the alders and "gathered" enough light for evening shots. I never figured I wanted an illuminated scope for bear hunting. If its too dark to see the reticle, it's probably too dark to go poking holes in a bear.

I like the the Leupold 1.5x - 5x I have on my 500 Jeffery a lot as well.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Scope for a brown bear hunt - 03/08/11
6x42's for me!
Trijicon has come out with a new version of their 1-4X24 scope that doesn't have the bell on the front end so it should be usable on more (longer) actions BUT the eye relief is listed at only 3.2" which is pretty darn short for heavy calibers. Why they chose to fix the mounting problem on this new model but then only have 3.2" eye relief is just disappointing.

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3b.php?pid=TR24

The problem I see with the illuminated Leupold is that the electronics or battery can fail just when you need it whereas the Trijicon illumination is pretty fail proof.
Broke down and bought the Leupold VX-R 2-7x33mm illuminated with the metric FireDot 4 reticle... It just seemed perfect for the range of hunting I plan to do with the 375 H&H ... I'll let you all know how it works out.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-r-riflescopes/vx-r-2-7x33mm/

Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
I used the leupold 1.75-6X for most of my hunting in Alaska.

yep; a much superior scope to a 1x5
The 1.5x5 will be perfect IMO. I have never hunted Brown bear in AK, but I have been there and have a relative who is a licensed guide there. Another who is an assistant guide. The distances are perfect for this scope. I do own a Leupold 1.5x5 and Brown bear range is well within the limitations and capabilities of this scope. IMO.
Here's a picture of my Remington XCR II 375 H&H with the Leupold VX-R 2-7x33mm illuminated. The slip on Limbsaver recoil pad is there to make up for my abnormally long 14 1/2" LOP (no Neanderthal comments!) Going to take it to the range for a spin this weekend if the weather's good.

[Linked Image]

Nice rig you have there! I used a leupold 2-7x33 on my bear hunt and never took it off 2 power. Ended up taking my shot at a whopping 33 feet! Hope you have a great hunt. Good luck!
Amazing how complicated people can make aiming at an animal that will weigh at least 800 pounds and won't be any more than 200 yards away.
Posted By: AKHuck Re: Scope for a brown bear hunt - 03/17/11
I dunno, as bad as I've seen a lot of folks shoot at the range, amplified by buck fever....
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Amazing how complicated people can make aiming at an animal that will weigh at least 800 pounds and won't be any more than 200 yards away.

I hunted with the same Rem 700 BDL in 270 with the same Redfield tracker 3-9x scope for 30 years before I handed it down to my son. Shot everything from crows to javelina, deer, elk, 7 black bears and 1 grizzly with it, all of that without anyone guiding me. I'm entitled to buy a new rifle once in awhile.
Well, yeah!
Posted By: 458Win Re: Scope for a brown bear hunt - 03/17/11
Probably the main reason I see folks miss or misplace shots on Brown bears is because they have the power on their scopes turned up too high.
IF YOU HAVE TO MAGINIFY ANY DANGEROUS GAME MORE THAN 2 1/2 TIMES YOU NEED TO STALK CLOSER !!
Agree Phil, I have always kept my scopes at their lowest power and always double check them before the hunt starts each morning. The only reason I went with a 2-7x rather than putting my 1.5-5x on the 375 H&H is I plan to use it for elk, and maybe plains game as well.
An acquaintance in Alaska tried to put a VX-R 1.5-5 on his new Sako 375 H&H and posted that the tube body was too short. Leupies website shows the tube body is 5.4 inches long. I'm not doubting his gunsmithing skills but was surprised to learn that.
IIRC the 2-7x33VX-R is 5.1 inches.
I have a Leupold 1.5-5x20mm on my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery. The Leupold VX-R 2-7x33mm fits just fine on my Remington XCR II. I don't know anything about Sako's though ...
Originally Posted by 458Win
Probably the main reason I see folks miss or misplace shots on Brown bears is because they have the power on their scopes turned up too high.
IF YOU HAVE TO MAGINIFY ANY DANGEROUS GAME MORE THAN 2 1/2 TIMES YOU NEED TO STALK CLOSER !!

Amen. It's called "Big Game" for a reason.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Agreed....I've been twice....used a 1.5-5 both times.I can't even remember what power they were set on;likely 3X.

If I were going back, I'd take a 3X Leupold and worry about nothing....for the reasons stated above.I don't even want the variables any more..

..the things are the size of a Volkswagen bus,and mostly in your lap.A 4X would be tops and and anything over that wouldn't get a second thought.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Scope for a brown bear hunt - 03/28/11
I will throw my hat in the ring with Phil, John, and Bob. I've been fortunate enough to shoot lots of game in lots of venues,some that bites and some that doesn't and the scope of choice for what I considered "serious" hunting was always a Leupold VXIII in 1.5-5
Never shot a Brown Bear though...maybe I should call Phil.... whistle
Posted By: bludog Re: Scope for a brown bear hunt - 03/28/11
Originally Posted by SKane
Chuck,

The Leupold 1.5x5 is a good scope with good eye relief.

I'd never go back for brownies in the fall without some sort of illuminated or fiber optic dot. You can use a bigger objective to "gather" light but you still have to see the reticle - damn near impossible at dark-thirty or even later against a dark bruin.

For me, about model perfecto is the Trijicon 1x4;
http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TR24-3G

And good luck on the hunt. You're likely obsessing over every piece of equipment, scenario etc., and will continue to do so until you depart. laugh

I was going to recommend this scope as well. I have one, amber dot - excellent scope. Have a couple of the 3-9 Accupoints as well that are equally nice, but for a DG type scope this one is hard to beat.
Posted By: OSB Re: Scope for a brown bear hunt - 03/29/11
VXIII 1.5 X 5 is a good choice I have two of them. Also the 1.75 X 6 would be a good pick.
Some good info on here. I have a 4X12X40AO VXII on my .338 Win mag. I'll be using it for a Newfie moose hunt next year. I'm planning an Alaskan grizzly hunt for the following year with the same gun so a scope change will definately be in order.
I'm running a Vortex Viper 2x7/32 scope on my Win M70 375 H&H along with Talley QR rings.

The backup open sights are set to POI at 75 yards.

[Linked Image]

Very nice rifle. I've shot elk running flat out in the black timber at 15 yards with a 3-9x Redfield. I have no issues with using a 2x illuminated for close up and personal if it gives me a little more shooting time at dawn and dusk.
© 24hourcampfire