Home
Posted By: domit bear hunt again - 04/27/11
ok i used my rem, 600 in 350 rem. mag last time. i will be going back spring 2012. vote for gun to use. 1886 winchester 45.70. steyr 30.06 or bruno zkk in 375h&h. i load for all of them. the 4570 would be old school, the steyr my go to gun. and the bruno my cape buff gun. it holds 6 down and 1 up the spout!!! lon paul really cleaned it up, mod 70 safety took about a pound out of stock. only thing i have shot with it is 1 elk. ( score 360 ). cast your votes, thanks. D O M I T !
Posted By: ironbender Re: bear hunt again - 04/27/11
Yes.
Posted By: Kodiman Re: bear hunt again - 04/27/11
I'd take all of them...
Posted By: watch4bear Re: bear hunt again - 04/27/11
Do you have a bow?
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: bear hunt again - 04/27/11
Gene Moe did it with a knife... Just sayin'.
Posted By: Kodiman Re: bear hunt again - 04/27/11
Gene Moe was one badass old man!!! That guy was and still is my hero. Even though I've never met him...

Posted By: Sitka deer Re: bear hunt again - 04/27/11
Funny guy... he will drop trou anywhere to show off his scars. I have known his nephew (with him on the trip) for many years prior to the attack...

And I know you knew the guy that was not so lucky that same year on Uganik Island...
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: bear hunt again - 04/27/11
Brown, grizz, or black bear hunt? If it is brown or grizz then I'd probably leave the .30-06 and .45-70 at home in favor of the .375 H&H. Black bear I'd choose the other two over the .375 H&H probably leaning towards the .45-70 just for fun.

I'm going up in a few weeks for black bear again and it was a toss up for me between taking my M788 .30-30, FN .30-06, or my Encore .375 JDJ. The JDJ won out just because it was a stainless synthetic rifle and the others are wood and blue. It would have been cool though to put a 170 grain NP into a bear out of that .30-30!
Posted By: chazgreen Re: bear hunt again - 04/27/11
Will you be hunting with Eli Lucas again? Going to Admiralty Island for Brownies? / Chaz
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: bear hunt again - 04/27/11
45/70 for both black and grizz.
Posted By: Vance_in_AK Re: bear hunt again - 04/27/11
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
45/70 for both black and grizz.

I'll 2nd that (or in my case 450 Marlin Guide Gun).
If not that, stick with your Remington 350 Rem Mag. Those little beauties were the original factory "guide gun".
Posted By: domit Re: bear hunt again - 04/27/11
yes i will be going out with eli again. black bear. took really big-B I G bison with 4570. nothing wrong with the 350, it kilt ta bar. that is tenn. redneck talk by the way. takes years to build up the proper tone and inflection!!!
Posted By: AKwolfpack Re: bear hunt again - 04/28/11
oh ya good ole 45/70 cannon is first choice by me;)
Posted By: ironbender Re: bear hunt again - 04/28/11
Domit-
The .45-70 is NOT a modern, strong action rifle that would be safe to use with modern ammunition?
Posted By: Kodiman Re: bear hunt again - 04/28/11
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

And I know you knew the guy that was not so lucky that same year on Uganik Island...

He was my neighbor and a father to 2 daughters. Sad,sad, deal... He hunted Kodiak every year. He was no rookie.

RIP... Ned Rasmussen
Posted By: domit Re: bear hunt again - 04/29/11
besides my handloads my 1886 loves the corbond 350 and 400 loads
Posted By: hdjno83 Re: bear hunt again - 05/07/11
i'll secont the 400 grain corbon load in the 45-70. admiralty is mostly deadfall and devils club so a long shot would be about 125 yards (at least were i've been hunting). 45-70 is a time proven cartridge and i would venture a guess that i probrobly tops the charts for numbers of bears killed in southeast alaska.
Posted By: AKHuck Re: bear hunt again - 05/07/11
.375 H&H, hands down. Never know if you'll need the extra range over the .45-70.
Posted By: eyeball Re: bear hunt again - 05/15/11
it sounded good but i thought it was spelled 'i kilta bar'
Posted By: eyeball Re: bear hunt again - 05/15/11
Originally Posted by Kodiman

He was my neighbor and a father to 2 daughters. Sad,sad, deal... He hunted Kodiak every year. He was no rookie.

RIP... Ned Rasmussen
where might one find this story. did his gun malfunction or what? i had a federal bear claw misfire once in my 270wby mag though it left and indent. a local decent smith said there was debri inside the bolt. ten years later t happened again with no indent. a great smith said the prev. smith didnt get things adjusted right inside the bolt-something about a ball out of position. now, this spring, a rem. 50 gr hp misfired in my wby varmintmaster. it has a perfect indent in the primer. scarey with all the problems with south texas democrats.
Posted By: Tonk Re: bear hunt again - 05/15/11
I too will cast my vote for the .375H&H when it comes to big bears! The 45/70 with hardcast bullets will do the job but what if that bear of a life time happens to be not close enough for your lever gun? This is where the .375H&H shines or my 416-Remington magnum. Good Luckk!
Posted By: Calvin Re: bear hunt again - 05/15/11
If you are hunting beaches, make sure you have something capable of a 200yd shot.
Posted By: pak Re: bear hunt again - 05/15/11
Gene and I were next door neighbors for over 20 years. He stills lives near by but I haven't seen him in quite awhile.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: bear hunt again - 05/15/11
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by Kodiman

RIP... Ned Rasmussen
where might one find this story. did his gun malfunction or what? i had a federal bear claw misfire once in my 270wby mag though it left and indent. a local decent smith said there was debri inside the bolt. ten years later t happened again with no indent. a great smith said the prev. smith didnt get things adjusted right inside the bolt-something about a ball out of position. now, this spring, a rem. 50 gr hp misfired in my wby varmintmaster. it has a perfect indent in the primer. scarey with all the problems with south texas democrats.

I am sure the story is in one of Larry Kanuit's collections, but he has done absolutely nothing by way of indexing the stories so they are hard to find in a given book, let alone the series. It is not in "Some Bears Kill".
art
Posted By: domit Re: bear hunt again - 05/15/11
everybody has great thoughts! keep coming with them. bear of a life time? i can allways hope. the 1 i got with the 350 was 19 &13/16 f&g measured 7' 1". taken at 9 yards. leaning to the o6 and 200gr. nosler.
Posted By: eyeball Re: bear hunt again - 05/16/11
thank you mr sitka
Posted By: domit Re: bear hunt again - 05/21/11
thanks everybody!
© 24hourcampfire