Home
I've been snow blowing for 4 hours and am only about 1/2 done.

Half of what I normally get cleared in about 1/2 of the time I've put in so far.

I see the NWS has an advisory back in place after cancelling a warning and letting the advisory expire.

About 11" so far and another 3-6 tonight.

Winter ain't done just yet!
Girls aren't either. No new snow here. A tiny bit (not even really a trace) this morning. Windy up on the hill and drifting. We'll see....
Wasilla is dry. Like miss t said, a dusting but no big precip. Radar looks nasty.

Look man, don't try spreading the wealth. You earned it so it's all you.
+1 smile
Dang, I wish we could get some more snow, as the kids aren't ready for winter to be over yet.......

:sarcasm:
My daughter reported 2ft at Trapper Creek. --- Mel
Wife reported snow most the way up the horse trailer tires a little north of ya Mike
...I suggested plowing, but got the pointed silence on the phone. Something to do when I get home
Keep it down there, Mike!
We don't have any place left to put it, the snow dumps are full. Another 12'' and the city will have to let us ride snow machines to work.
Keep the chin up, bender! We're likly gonna be up to our wiskers if'n we don''t frown

53rd winter here and I'm still not used to it. Glad I don't have 50 sets out on the line wink
Originally Posted by MissTreated
Girls aren't either.

Buzinga! smile

We have about another 5" overnight. School is on a 2 hour delay here. The van would have been dragging it's hiney if I hadn't cleared yesterday. "Something" told me not to wait until it stopped snowing. Biggest single dump in some time. 'Tis a nice change from the refrozen melt of the last few weeks.
Originally Posted by olblue
My daughter reported 2ft at Trapper Creek. --- Mel

I believe it, I got a call from a friend that has a cabin across from Camp Caswell and he said when he left at 1:30 yesterday afternoon they had received 1 1/2 feet and it was still snowing. This is just what the dr ordered! Can't wait to get out there on Friday with the sled and rip up some fresh snow.
Trade you all 45 degrees below chill factor for 10 inches of snow?
On second thought, forget it. We are starting to get day/night temperature swings, but we'd see that same snow 8 or 10 times over the next month.... smile
Originally Posted by las
On second thought, forget it. We are starting to get day/night temperature swings, but we'd see that same snow 8 or 10 times over the next month.... smile

We've been seeing 'your' snow for the past couple of days; seems to be getting here in only 3-4 hours too. whistle
i got drifts from the north sunday nite...i have no more spots to push the snow at the end of the drive...enought allready.....
Forecast is for 4 - 8 inches Fri. to Sat.
Originally Posted by las
Trade you all 45 degrees below chill factor for 10 inches of snow?

It's -45 ambient up North today, not sure what the windchill is, bit cooler.
Poor bastids.... smile

Of course, we could all be living in Florida or someplace , cutting grass, fighting slugs, humidity, gators and illegal Meskins...

........NAW!.....
I think it was a Hank,Jr. song....

You can send me to hell or New York City, it'd be about the same to me!

I'm liking this just fine. This was the biggest snow dump we have had in a very long time. The wife's van would have been pushing snow with the front bumper (if it moved) if I had not blowed snow!
I'm not complaining. I enjoy visiting the Arctic, though not sure I'd want to live here wink
The NWS forcast said 1-2" for the western Kenai today...we passed that hours ago now. Still snowing in Niksiki.
Time to shovel the roof for the first time in 11 years. Man I love this snow!
When our roof was replaced about 12 years ago I had everything covered with the rubberized stuff to eliminate ice damming leaks... No reason to shovel now...

A trick in case you have a tough roof to shovel... Get a roll of Visqueen and stake out the bottom end where you want the snow from the roof to go. Toss the roll into the snow on the roof and unfold a bit of it to form a chute. No need to go anywhere near the edge of the roof after that, just shovel onto the Visqueen and watch it go away.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
When our roof was replaced about 12 years ago I had everything covered with the rubberized stuff to eliminate ice damming leaks... No reason to shovel now...

Are your trusses up to the load?

We got a lasered wink 6" "dusting". This was the little bit we were to get before the real snow this weekend.

I'm getting tired of wrestling with the snowblower....especially since the darn kid usually wins! cry
We had a new roof put on 2 springs ago, the guy that came out and did the estimate on our roof said it was built with 3/4" cedar plywood and lots of 2x6 truss'. He told us we could park a semi truck and trailer on the roof and it wouldn't collapse.

That 6" layer of ice on the edge of the roof has me worried though, last thing I need is another ice dam.
Even with the rubberized stuff on our ~5 y/o roof, the ice damming was so bad from the heat of the boiler/hot water heating flue melting the snow that when we had our last drizzle, the water made it through the snow and the ice damn caused the water to run down the inside of the flue into the chase in the downstairs bathroom.

So no gurantee re modern roofs keeping one from shoveling on a snow year like this one. In the future I'll be keeping the snow clear around the flue.
As I was snow blowing today, I noticed the snow is very near the top of the stack for my wood stove. That needs to be cleared before the next fire.

Word to the wise.
Originally Posted by ironbender
As I was snow blowing today, I noticed the snow is very near the top of the stack for my wood stove. That needs to be cleared before the next fire.

Word to the wise.

Yeah, that could of been disasterous. Good thing you spotted that. Wow.
I spent over 2 hours chipping over a foot of ice on the roof in front of the house. Also had to clear an air vent for our kitchen. Luckily that ice onnly went up the roof about a foot and half so I think I prevented the ice dam from doing any damage. Next year i'll be keeping it clear with a shovel so I don't have to do this again.
Funny, we seal the edges of the roofing to keep the snow from blowing under. Shingles? It takes too many nails: 10, to hold them down. wink
© 24hourcampfire