Home
I sat at eklutna for about an hour and a half this morning. I figured it was an accident but then it started coming out about a car chase, car was torched, shots fired, somebody was shot ( heard it was a trooper but not sure). I knew it was gonna be a while. Turned around and came home, which a day at home with the kid is better than any day at work.
Try island living
The other option is living in town wink
Glad a cop wasn't injured. You would think people would learn not to shoot at a cop.

Just read the guy had a bat, stopped running from the troopers and then advanced on the troopers with the bat raised. Tasers didn't work and a trooper popped him. Another case of suicide by cop?
http://www.adn.com/2012/08/03/2569829/pursuit-shooting-partially-close.html
One less stupid person in the state, it's a good start.
You could live here and have about 100 different ways to go and live with the crowds of idiots in the oppressive heat....
I think I will pass, thanks though.

Who wants to bet that this guy will be a perfect citizen and friends and family will say that there is no way he would do this, or some crap like that.
.... just a misunderstood youth who was out wanting to play baseball....
Ditto your dislike for one road to town. I moved off of a penninsula type area and later moved our office out of there partly due to being "locked in" once in awhile when a wreck etc. would close off the only way out.

Heres a Photo from above. Glad to have this day off.

http://www.frontiersman.com/news/gl...0019bb2963f4.html?mode=image&photo=1
Wow, I was on the Kenai last week and was stopped twice on the Seward hwy. I feel for residents that have only a two lane road into most of your areas!
...and if it's not a wreck, it's an avalanche. The only road to the KP was closed for 4 days a few years ago. They had to fly milk into the Kenai airport from Anch.

Then there's the SOBs that drive 50-55 on the 2 lane and speed up in the passing zones. I had to go to Anch on Weds. and there were a-holes that would not move over in the passing zones. I had to pass in the right lane.

I was this // close to road rage. smile
I never understood that either about driving slow and then speeding up to 80 at a passing zone. It's kinda like going through a construction zone and heaven forbid there's an orange cone and they gotta slow down to 30. I was never attacked by an orange cone but I can see where it can screw you up.
I'd rather drive that road in the winter...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Then there's the SOBs that drive 50-55 on the 2 lane and speed up in the passing zones. I had to go to Anch on Weds. and there were a-holes that would not move over in the passing zones. I had to pass in the right lane.

I like to get in front em, then slow down to 40-45 grin
I like to see them getting smaller in my mirrors!
Give a man a fish and he'll be back for more; teach a man to fish, and he'll stay the hell outa the passing lane. grin
Seems like some of that oil money should be going into making more 4 lane highways. As a nonresident visiting your great state for the first time, I don't presume to know why, but I am sure you have been asking your elected officials for wider roads, what is their answer?
Enviro wackos will never allow it, besides they enjoy spending the money on ferries that are built but dang, no one worked out the logistics or a bridge that will never be built but they sure will spend the money researching it.
Like they say down south, it's just a bridge to nowhere grin
The whole bridge thing is a cluster. I understand the need for an alternative way in but really? A bridge? First big natural disaster and they are gonna shut it down. Besides they more than likely wont build it right. At least with what we got I can go through the median or hit an exit and go back home.

What they should do is re-inforce the bridges we do have and make the merge lane for the eagle river exit a 3rd lane. Hell it's 3 lanes just to the south both ways anyway. That would relieve a lot of congestion. It's only extending the road, what, 1/2 mile.

Just my opinion.
First big natural disaster and they are gonna shut it down.

grin
Originally Posted by txhunter58
Seems like some of that oil money should be going into making more 4 lane highways. As a nonresident visiting your great state for the first time, I don't presume to know why, but I am sure you have been asking your elected officials for wider roads, what is their answer?

Does Homeland Security really approve of citizens who know how to blow things (like mountainsides) to smithereens?
It's accidents like this that are keeping the wife and I from moving to the valley. We live on base, and she has already had enough of it. I told her to wait until grad school is over, and we will move to Eagle River or Birchwood area. Most of my co-workers live in the valley and never made it in Friday.
When you put a $ value on your time, and apply the extra fuel burned and wear and tear on vehicles vs. putting that into principal and interest, the valley doesn't pencil out if you're working in Anchorage 5-6 days a week.
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
When you put a $ value on your time, and apply the extra fuel burned and wear and tear on vehicles vs. putting that into principal and interest, the valley doesn't pencil out if you're working in Anchorage 5-6 days a week.

Aint that the truth. When we were looking at buying a house about 10 years ago we looked at the valley. Bigger houses, more land, less expensive, but when you factor in all the extras, it just didn't make sense. And that was before fuel took off to almost $5 a gallon.
The miliage can bite ya that's for sure. I ended up buying a small car so I went from 14mpg in my truck to 37mpg now. Still no car payment.

Wife can't work so she enjoys it out there, plus I like raising the kid out there better than in ANC. Just my preference.
Just wait until this winter when all those long time Alaskan drivers in their 4 wd trucks take to the Glenn headed for Anchorage. 4wd......who needs 4wd? Idiots.
Last winter wasn't bad, I go to work at 4:30am and out at 2pm. I miss most of the idiots. When the weath totally goes to [bleep] I just leave early.
Well, a moose car wreck this morning, so let's see how many make it into the office today.
i/we drive 38 miles one way to work in a rig gettin 27mpg beats liv'in in town and payin 5 grand in taxes (on stuff "i" don't use nor need).... on the house that i built out of pocket(try renting your OWN house for 500 a month-it sucks) yup i spend it on gas and insurance cause of a no fire potection area(but hey i had to pay insurance + taxes at the last spot/atleast i'm getting/buying a product that i asked for....) but the place is OURS!!!
Had a guy slide in sideways on the snow into the cattleguard leading into our office complex at about 17:05. The only way in or out. Had to be lifted out at a wheel or two had dropped over the end. Forklifts don't do will at all in a foot of snow, but we eventually got him and us out.
What I love is hwy on both sides of town coming together with a few miles of stoplights
© 24hourcampfire