Home
Posted By: norm99 Ketchikan, Sept27 - 09/08/12
anybody on the forum live there.

I'll be there for 8 hours, on a cruse
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 09/11/12
Are you stopping anywhere else in southeast?
Posted By: norm99 Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 09/11/12
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Are you stopping anywhere else in southeast?

yes Juneau on the 24th and Skagway on the 25th,SKAGWAY WE ARE GOING TO DO THE WHITE PASS railway ride ,always wanted to do it

norm
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 09/11/12
For 8 years, but not now. Enjoy
Posted By: vapodog Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 09/11/12
Just came back from there....great place to visit.....bring your rain coat.....seems it rains 365 days a year there.

There's a 1950's restaurant somewhere there....don't remember the name of the place but a great place to eat....someone will update this with a name I'm sure.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 09/11/12
Originally Posted by vapodog
. . . seems it rains 365 days a year there.

I really only rains 29 out of 30 days in September and 30 out of 31 days in October. I always try to draw mule deer or elks tags down south for those months.

Thunder and hail last night at my place. That was pretty freaky for this late in the year and being this cold.
Posted By: norm99 Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 09/11/12
Just came back from there....great place to visit.....bring your rain coat.....seems it rains 365 days a year there.

There's a 1950's restaurant somewhere there....don't remember the name of the place but a great place to eat....someone will update this with a name I'm sure.

were you there on a cruse,

much to see that is really interesting ??

norm
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 09/11/12
The salmon should be in the creek on the "so-called" South side of town. You can see a few black bears down there chasing the salmon in the evenings. There is a river that runs through town and salmon are stacked in there fairly well also.

The dock where you get off the cruise ship is close to all the jewelry stores and crap fest, if you get farther to the right as you get off the ship, you will find the old part of town and it is more interesting. The Hardware store and sporting goods store there by the dock is worth a look as well.

muledeer, AKA Dennis Neill, lives there in Ketchikan, you might try to contact him. He has been battling cancer, but may still be well enough now to meet you.

I liked Ketchikan, my son lived there for several years and we went up there quite regularly. I would not live there, but 8 hours sure won't hurt you a bit...
Posted By: vapodog Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 09/11/12
Originally Posted by norm99

were you there on a cruse,

norm

NO....got on the ferry (M/V Taku) and went to Kake for a spell of fishing....I stayed in Ketchikan over night on the way back before my flight left for Seattle. I bought dry ice there...great place but didn't see much of it in a day!
Posted By: norm99 Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 09/12/12
Originally Posted by shrapnel
The salmon should be in the creek on the "so-called" South side of town. You can see a few black bears down there chasing the salmon in the evenings. There is a river that runs through town and salmon are stacked in there fairly well also.

The dock where you get off the cruise ship is close to all the jewelry stores and crap fest, if you get farther to the right as you get off the ship, you will find the old part of town and it is more interesting. The Hardware store and sporting goods store there by the dock is worth a look as well.

muledeer, AKA Dennis Neill, lives there in Ketchikan, you might try to contact him. He has been battling cancer, but may still be well enough now to meet you.

I liked Ketchikan, my son lived there for several years and we went up there quite regularly. I would not live there, but 8 hours sure won't hurt you a bit...

thanks Shrapnel,not to interested in the TOUREST trap stuff just the history,i''ll try looking up muledeer

norm
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 09/12/12
Totem poles are cool. I'd take a float plane trip to the Misty if weather is right.
Posted By: vapodog Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 09/12/12
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Totem poles are cool. I'd take a float plane trip to the Misty if weather is right.

Go see the world's tallest one in Kake....IIRC it's 123' tall

Go see the world's tallest one in Kake....IIRC it's 123' tall

and here British Columbia <being saying for years that they had the tallest one in the world.i'll have to google that one . confused grin

where or what is Kake,Misty i'll google that one too

norm
Misty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misty_Fiords_National_Monument

The totem pole in Kake is likely the tallest thing around since the natives have clear cut everything.

Kake is on Kupreanof Island, not exactly a little trip.

The best Ketchikan has to offer is all outside Ketchikan.
Misty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misty_Fiords_National_Monument

The totem pole in Kake is likely the tallest thing around since the natives have clear cut everything.

Kake is on Kupreanof Island, not exactly a little trip.

The best Ketchikan has to offer is all outside Ketchikan.

i'am starting to get that pic. small village ,access boat, plane or a cold swim.
what was it noted for ?and why did you spend so much time there ?military??

norm
Ketchikan has about 8,000 people and some of the best bars around (though a few of the really good ones are gone).

I was stationed about 25 miles outside of Ketchikan, same island, but the only way to get to us was via boat or float plane. Done a few goat hunts on the mainland as well as the island. A float plane trip out of town is nice if the weather is right. You'll most certainly see some goats.

Salmon fishing is her claim.
8000,is a good number must have a good fish industry to support that ,do they log and mine as well? i guess cruse ships bring in lots of fish to get hooked as well grin

sounds like the bars take the cream of the catch like in the gold rush days.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The locals love the Eagle mooning them as they come to downtown...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Taken during a Ketchikan walking tour....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b297/Shoalcove/9.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b297/Shoalcove/1.jpg[/img]
steelhead .just googled it there is now 13700 residents ,they say second largest cruse port in AL,tough to decide which activites to do ,thanks all for your replies

norm
No, Ketchikan is about 8,000. The borough is likely the number you listed.
your pics just appeared thanks .is that you in most of the pics ??

reading some of the trip offers ,must almost be the float plane capital of Alaska,,I've put my time in in Beavers ,single and twin Otters as well as 182 cessnas all on floats. I love small planes [had my licence years ago],fortunately someone else picked up the tab when we flew into Knight Inlet to work. Knight In is probably not to different from SE Alaska ,mountains comming right out of the water ,Orkas,in the inlet ,big salmon runs ,and there own weather patterns due to the high mts and glaciers at the head of the inlet .griss and blackies fairly abundent

norm
Posted By: ropes Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 09/12/12

There is a Visitors Center next to the new Fire Station .... nice bit of history in there .. also a small museum at the Library. There is also some ancient totems (and other historical stuff) on display at the Totem Heritage Center which is over by the park, fish hatchery and Eagle center.

Eat a Halibut Burger at the Burger Queen (burger bitch just didn't sound right) which is on the north end of the tunnel.

If your into fishing there is plenty of that still going on.

The Sourdough Bar has lots of good historical pictures on the walls.

Some logging is picking up a little and mining out on Prince of Wales is happening. Commercial fishing is still big business.
Yep, me. Ditto on Burger Queen (bitch).

Arctic bar is across the street. I think the tunnel in Ketch is the only one you can drive through, around and on top of.
No, Ketchikan is about 8,000. The borough is likely the number you listed.

so the borough is like a county or municpality,as in the whole island or more?
Posted By: ironbender Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 09/12/12
We have boroughs in AK (it's NOT AL wink ) They are similar to counties in a lot of ways, but are much much larger area.
sorry i guess AL is for alcaholic or is it alabammer grin

norm
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 09/12/12

They're the KGB down there - damn russian spies I say!!!
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 09/12/12

It has been raining like Septemeber. Having fun with my new downspout:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 09/13/12

More around Ketchikan, no bar hopping here. You might try Cedar's Lodge, they are right on the wharf, have rental boats, Clover pass is owned by the same family. Tell them you were sent there by me and get a great deal. Ask for Jeremy and tell him you will trade him some guns. You may want to call ahead of when you would be there and they could have things ready for you. 8 hours should be enough time to catch a fish...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/bridgershooters/120_2060-1.jpg[/img]

Posted By: norm99 Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 09/14/12
[quote=shrapnel]

More around Ketchikan, no bar hopping here. You might try Cedar's Lodge, they are right on the wharf, have rental boats, Clover pass is owned by the same family. Tell them you were sent there by me and get a great deal. Ask for Jeremy and tell him you will trade him some guns. You may want to call ahead of when you would be there and they could have things ready for you. 8 hours should be enough time to catch a fish...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/bridgershooters/120_2060-1.jpg[/img]

[/quo

that you in the pics shrapnel catching all the fish ??

how hard [expensive is a fishing lic for a canuck] and if i caught something you think the cruse Captain is going to put it in the freezer for me frown I would love to go fishing up there

norm
Posted By: ropes Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 09/14/12

Normally they do not allow fish on board.

You can take it to The Cedars and they will cut it, vacuum pack it, freeze and ship (FedEx) when ever you want it back home.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 09/14/12
[quote=shrapnel]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[/quo

that you in the pics shrapnel catching all the fish ??

how hard [expensive is a fishing lic for a canuck] and if i caught something you think the cruse Captain is going to put it in the freezer for me frown I would love to go fishing up there

norm

Yup, even an import from the lower 48 can catch fish there. You would want it filleted and frozen, they can do it at Cedars in a matter of minutes. They have a specially made flash freezer that will turn a fish solid in minutes.
Posted By: elkjaeger Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 09/14/12
They don't do a bad job of smoking the fish for you at the Cedars either.
I didn't stay at the lodge but hired a charter through them & they took care of the fish for me.
I'd recommend them as well.

Also, we brought a couple boxes of fish home as lugguge via Alaska Air, it was cheaper than Fedex going to MT.
Posted By: norm99 Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 09/16/12
Jermy said who you talking about ,then said after a while Reed?

refeered me to Knutson Cove for short trips,have to run through the cruise line for it . We'll see.

norm
Posted By: WoodsyAl Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 09/16/12
I haven't done a whole bunch of cruises, but enough to know you can generally save money by making your own arrangements rather than doing the excursions through the cruise lines. You just walk off the boat and catch up with whoever you need to.
Posted By: norm99 Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 09/19/12
thanks for everyones help.

norm
Posted By: norm99 Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 10/03/12
Loggah u there

no pics of me with fish from catchthemifyoucan,
other boat got 6 ,other one 3 other two Zip such if life in the north west ,

had a good time on the cruse ,would go again

norm
Posted By: Loggah Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 10/04/12
Norm, i just got here got to start reading from the beginning!! grin sounds like you had a good time, Cheryl went on the inside passage four years ago and loved it, two years ago when we stopped and visited you and your wife on our Alaska trip we hardly could see the ocean it was so cloudy and rain 2 weeks on the Kenai and saw a view twice!!!!!!! crazy crazy grin . Don
Posted By: norm99 Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 10/04/12
very little rain little wind most a Glacier Bay,boat hung around for almost an hour at the Margerite Glacier saw 2 small calvings and a mid size one.

road the White Pass up to the summit and back,you would love the narrow gauge and the work involved,

norm
Posted By: Scorpion8 Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 10/11/12
yes Juneau on the 24th and ...

Aw, too bad. Juneau is great! How'd you like it?
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 10/11/12

Want to welcome Scorp to the 'Fire - being a long time (since '72) J-town boy. [takes a lot of guts to use a PSU logo as your avatar, but hey, I work with a couple of PSU engineering grads and they're aren't too bad . . . ]
Posted By: Scorpion8 Re: Ketchikan, Sept27 - 10/11/12
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
I work with a couple of PSU engineering grads and they're aren't too bad . . . ]

Thanks, and I would be one of them too!
© 24hourcampfire