Home

Article is here:

http://peninsulaclarion.com/news/2012-11-13/trappers-mauled-by-bear-near-kenai-river

No firearm or pepper spray. Does not sound like fun...
Dumbasses
Neither man had a gun or bear spray, Selinger said.

�The victims even said, �That�s the last thing we want you to do, to go out and try to track this bear down because it is obvious we got into its space,��

Treadwell family?
You'd think that being from Alaska those two would know better than to go out without some kind of protection.
Right or wrong, Alaskans don't share the same "bearanoia" as those from the lower 48.
Originally Posted by dubya
You'd think that being from Alaska those two would know better than to go out without some kind of protection.

not always the case....we get lots of dumbazzes up here with that dumb mentality that all life in the bush is "peachy". most "real" Alaskans would not go without a firearm of sort...or at least the bunch I hang with.
Taking a nap on a sunny slope, and waking up afterwords is pretty cool grin
Selinger advised trappers to be bear aware and carry protection.

�If you are going out there, just be aware,� he said. �It you are putting out bait or setting traps the bears are still active and I would highly suggest having a firearm with you in case you run into a bad situation. At the very least, bear spray.�

Don't often hear an FW official suggest a firearm first, over hot sauce, for bear protection.
When he gets called out for "problem bears" he doesn't go with Tabasco!
lol
Well it's late enough in the year that they probably felt safe. I took the bear spray off my bike....I better put it back on I guess.
My first thought when I read this story in the local paper was, "what if a wolf or coyote was spotted"?
I thought everybody up there owned/carried a 4in 629 and/or a 45/70 Trapper? The only big bear country I've been at large in since I left AK was last summer's trip to Bob Marshall. The Glock 20 was NEVER out of reach.
© 24hourcampfire