Home
So I dvr'ed the last one...."the guy has a gun"!!!!.......... A 45/70 magnum! While I�ll be! And if I see yet another "crime in Fairbanks" ( with the pic's of roads and valleys from the "meth sue valley") I'm going to sick ....man the editing sucks!...they drive from crime to crime.....and I see its across the street from the last so called crime!!!
Get over it, it's a "reality show" It's not supposed to depict anything close to reality.
C'mon, Steve. It's healthy to rant!
Never seen the show, but I understand that I might be in it one of these days....

And I mean that in a good way.
You got some 'splaining to do!
So why in the world would anyone waste their time on crap like that? The only reason it's "reality" is that they're cheap to make. Personally, I don't even watch (read - waste time on) so-called hunting shows on the outdoor channels.
Bear in Fairbanks
Just entertainment. Sometimes it's best not to know too much.
On that Cajun alligator hunting show, can't even remember the name, they piece together segments, part of which shows a rusty old Browning .22 auto then as the guy makes the shot, suddenly it's a Ruger 10-22. They have the characters wearing the same outfit all the time just for that reason, but I guess the Hollywood knot heads can't tell one gun from another. Now, if I didn't know all that...

DF
Originally Posted by ironbender
You got some 'splaining to do!

Arctic Man.

I think that should answer all your questions... smile
Unless you are a chopper ride candidate, that only raises more questions!
I watched that episode of A.S.T last night. I was a little bothered by the "45-70 magnum" segment. But what really pissed me off was when that guy was sleeping in his truck outside the stripclub in Fairbanks. The guy gets the police called on him for having a handgun then gets a D.U.I.!??? In my mind he was doing the right thing. I say good for him for know better than to drive. I feel like he should have been rewarded for not starting up his pickup and plowing into a honda civic at a red light. Instead the guy does the right thing and decides to sleep it off and gets put in cuffs? B###S%%%!!!!!
Originally Posted by Freezerfiller
I watched that episode of A.S.T last night. I was a little bothered by the "45-70 magnum" segment. But what really pissed me off was when that guy was sleeping in his truck outside the stripclub in Fairbanks. The guy gets the police called on him for having a handgun then gets a D.U.I.!??? In my mind he was doing the right thing. I say good for him for know better than to drive. I feel like he should have been rewarded for not starting up his pickup and plowing into a honda civic at a red light. Instead the guy does the right thing and decides to sleep it off and gets put in cuffs? B###S%%%!!!!!

Really? That's not right if that's what happened. That's why people don't trust cops right there.
It's nothing new up here. Had a buddy years ago who was down on his luck and living out of his car. Decided one night to get a bottle, threw the keys in the back seat and drink. Cop came up and gave him a DUI for drinking in is "home", cuz he still had access to his keys.
The Troopers in Alaska gave my son a ticket for cutting the "dick" off his bear...$165.00
I had them set down on me while caribou hunting 2 years ago. Cub on floats with a camra man. No big deal, folks in the lowr 48 eat that stuff up.
really bad show.... it makes it look like everyone in Alaska is a criminal....
Originally Posted by Sako

AND?? grin
That episode is on now. I told my wife I want a 45/70 magnum. She rolled her eyes.
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
That episode is on now. I told my wife I want a 45/70 magnum. She rolled her eyes.

Lol. Make sure its the magnum! I hear the standard is junk...
i was yell'in at them myself...from what they "said/showed" of the story - the guy was trying to do the rite thing..they took his guns and cuffed him...wth.....
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
I told my wife I want a 45/70 magnum.

Isn't that the 450 Marlin? After all, it does wear a belt!

Just the Valley!
A 45-70 Magnum! I have one, but I call it a 45-90.

The problem there is a lack of discretion being allowed the Troopers. Or even city cops in AK. MADD pulls a lot of political strings there and DUI is one that has caused more than one political firestorm behind the scenes.

If you are in a vehicle, in "control" of the keys, and have been drinking, your "progressive" legislature has seen fit to call that DUI, and the "progressive" judges have seen fit to pass case law that allows it.

I know, it sucks. In prehistoric times, when I was with AST, then APD, there WAS discretion. Not any more, and the ones out there now have had it beat into them.

How many guys (and gals) who knew they had too much to drink, crawled into their car or truck, turned the engine on to keep from freezing to death, and slept it off? Probably thousands, and a lot of them were checked on by the local LEO's and warned against driving until they were sober, or were given a lift home if close by. Not any more.

BTW, I watched a couple of episodes when it first came on to see any of my old coworkers, then quit after seeing the "editing" that was being done to highlight the drama and seeing Troopers playing it up for the cameras. TOTALLY unprofessional!

Rant off...

Ed
I've seen one episode. This meathead of a trooper was at a guy's bait station and getting all tactical as he approached the bait carrying his shotgun at low ready. Sort of an indian or mexican looking guy. Next thing you know he's calling some guys that had been stopped along the road stupid because they were outside of the pickup and they left when they saw him coming. Total douchebag!!
Again, I ask the question - "Why do you guys waste your time on that crap?"
Bear in Fairbanks
Folks can only pick on bender so much before its time for a break in it. You know, those kenai type folks get a tad emotional at times.
Yeah, we got tender feelers!
smile
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Really? That's not right if that's what happened. That's why people don't trust cops right there.

Ya well this is the BS of it all, you can sleep it off in your car and they can't do anything....unless the key is in the ignition. So if you ever decide to sleep it off, do it without the radio on.
Uhhhh.... Wrong!

Here you simply need to have control of the key to get a DUI... Driving or parked.
Maybe some states have different laws concerning the keys, but I know Sitka is correct about the keys in a lot of states, here in the NE for sure. If they are anywhere accessible to the driver, back seat, outside on the ground, doesn't matter, it's a DUI/DWI. The days are pretty much over for sleeping it off in your car unless you hide the keys really well, if I tried that, I'd never remember where the hell I hid them. I manage to avoid the aggravation of "reality" shows by not watching TV period.
I have heard both; Control of the keys and keys in the ignition. I guess the key is not to get the cops called on you when your sleeping in your truck. I still say that poor bastard got the chit end of the stick on that show. The message the troopers sent was- if your four pillow case to the breeze, your better off rolling the dice and getting that pickup home. Police always say "if your honest with me this will be way easier" When they say that let that, let that breaker box in your head pop and bullchit like you never have before!
Got me for doing it here in TN. Cop told me "you shoulda tossed the keys in the bed of the truck." To which I replied "I would've if it wasn't 25 degrees, I was cold" The cop was sympathetic but said he had to haul me in and charge me even though I straight up told him I had no interest in driving and chancing hurting someone else. And that was true. I tried to call a friend to get me but he had his phone on vibrate... However my friend who was a firefighter in another town called the arresting officer and discussed it with him and told him I tried. plus another friend who is a decent lawyer saved my day. I learned a valuable lesson but I slept it off in the truck several times though. So play it safe and toss the keys in the back and carry a blanket I reckon.

First post, been lurking a while but I had to comment.
Just tossing the keys in the back of the truck is not good enough here... If you CAN get at them you are busted.
I suspect it truly wouldn't be enough here either. But you'd have a fighting chance in court and if the cop didn't see them you might be OK all around.
Shee-it. "If you,re honest with me this will be way easier." Transalation-"I,m fishin for more crap, throw me a bone."
Watched that episode and distinctly recall the cops telling him they had to cite him for DUI, because he left the keys in the ignition. Don't know what else to think, other than that was the determining factor??

In these parts ya can be cited if the vehicle is running, even if you've pulled well off the road and are asleep. Never heard of anyone being cited if the keys are in the ignition, engine off, unless they're illegally parked? Quit drinking/carousing over 22 years ago, so it ain't an issue any longer.

Don't watch much "reality TV" other than AST at times, but some nights there ain't a damn thing on and my eyes hurt if I read too long.
Its amazing to me that you can put "Alaska" in the title of any crappy reality show, and people will watch it.

On the other hand, there is a new show due out next year that chronicles the spread of STDs from Chilcoot Charlie's, which looks interesting. Its called "Deadliest Crotch", and I think it will be narrated by Mike Rowe.
There you go again, bragging about your new job...
Originally Posted by cwh2
Its amazing to me that you can put "Alaska" in the title of any crappy reality show, and people will watch it.

On the other hand, there is a new show due out next year that chronicles the spread of STDs from Chilcoot Charlie's, which looks interesting. Its called "Deadliest Crotch", and I think it will be narrated by Mike Rowe.
Deadliest crotch? I minimize crotch critter catch by shaving. When your splashing gear you gotta think safety first. LOL
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
There you go again, bragging about your new job...

I know you're just itching to watch this show...
I'm pretty sure that most production teams are from England now, who film and put together these shows.

-So, every hunting rifle is a "sniper rifle, capable of killing from long ranges"

-Every hunter is a gun toting killer

Brits just don't get it.
All I've learned from watching the show is only low lives down on their luck escaping from the lower States because they can't live around others so they move to Alaska. They are giving a bad representation to your beautiful state.

Similar to what they did to us here with the Show "The Jersey Shore"
Sorry, but jersey is a [bleep] regardless of what MTV aired...grin
Originally Posted by 379 Peterbilt
Sorry, but jersey is a [bleep] regardless of what MTV aired...grin

Didn't need to attack, beats living out of a truck.
It's all about TV ratings. take something WAY overboard and over exaggerate it. I know what you mean by it's a load of doggy doo. I live and have lived in the middle of amish country, I have worked with the amish and I have done business with the amish. The only truthfull thing about the show Amish Mafia is they will speak Pennsylvania Dutch when they don't want you to hear something. I watch that show and just laugh. I can't believe they expect people to believe that load of crap.
I saw a commercial that said the troopers were "at risk of getting hit by a stray bullet" during hunting season.

Give me a break.....
People are at risk of getting hit with a stray bullet in New York City and Washington D.C. too.
Originally Posted by Calvin
I saw a commercial that said the troopers were "at risk of getting hit by a stray bullet" during hunting season.

Give me a break.....

And that was the final straw for me. What BS.

Originally Posted by Calvin

Give me a break.....
Its probably true. Although I doubt it was stray. Im sure it was a 45-70 magnum.
One of the things that gets me about the show is how tough they try to make them selves look. Like they are the unflinching hammer of the law. I think this makes them look bad. All the dealings with troopers I have had have been pleasent. They are always really nice guys aside from the occasional prick. I think they are giving themselves a bad name with this show. They are putting on these tough guy routines and thats not how they really are.
And give Joedr a break, New Jersey isnt all bad. Some great men came from the state.
All the dealings with troopers I have had have been pleasent. They are always really nice guys aside from the occasional prick.

Agreed. I've been checked by the troopers several times, and they have always been cool. Same for the coast guard, although they tend to crack me up with their toys.

There are always going to be a couple of turds in the punchbowl, but on the whole, we have it pretty good.
Originally Posted by cwh2
All the dealings with troopers I have had have been pleasent. They are always really nice guys aside from the occasional prick.

Agreed. I've been checked by the troopers several times, and they have always been cool. Same for the coast guard, although they tend to crack me up with their toys.

There are always going to be a couple of turds in the punchbowl, but on the whole, we have it pretty good.

I think we have a mutual friend who has a pretty good story about troopers and the coast guard.
LEO's don't write the Laws. They just get to enforce them according to Judicial interpretation. Most cops are good. Many are burned out but need the job. And some got the job but aren't much good at it. Try to remember that they all want to be alive and healthy when their Shift is over.
Originally Posted by actionshooter

AND?? grin

Pretty hard not to be, somehow. Our job is to make 'em work for it... smile

That said, my encounters with Troopers, while not always positive (from my perspective), is that those in Alaska have always cut me as much slack as required, and more than they had to, often enough.

I've a couple stories about fat-bellied Colorado cops, however....
© 24hourcampfire