Home
Posted By: alaskaplumber Good sleeping bag? - 02/23/13
Whats the best affordable sleeping bag to get? I bought one last year off amazon, it keeps you warm but its heavy and it makes you sweat bad. I need a lightweight sleepbag that I can use into October atleast pluse keep you warm and dry.
Posted By: waterrat Re: Good sleeping bag? - 02/23/13
The North Face Snowshoe is a good bag.
Posted By: 1sgStephen Re: Good sleeping bag? - 02/23/13
For the money a Northface Cat's Meow is hard to beat. Wiggy's makes good bags as well. The 2 bag, with a Goretex over bag that is issued to soldiers are good bags for the money and can be bought on ebay.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Good sleeping bag? - 02/23/13
FYI, it appears that the Snowshoe is no longer made and has been replaced with the Snow Leopard.

http://www.rei.com/product/809337/the-north-face-snow-leopard-sleeping-bag
Posted By: tkinak Re: Good sleeping bag? - 02/23/13
Here is a good sight to compare bags.

http://www.tenpoundbackpack.com/gear-lists/sleeping-bags
Posted By: glenninjuneau Re: Good sleeping bag? - 02/23/13
Cat's Meow is a great bag. I am trying out a Slumberjack with the air mattress that slides into the bottom, can't remember the name, but it is also nice. Both are super light and pack down small.
Not sure exactly what you mean by "affordable" but I've got an Integral Designs that's very good. Made in Calgary. I think you can still get them from the company. Primaloft insulation, very light & compactable & will keep you warm if it gets wet. It's the one I take on sheep hunts into the Brooks and also in our moose camp in Sep. Prolly kinda spendy for you but worth every penny IMHO.
Bear in Fairbanks
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Good sleeping bag? - 02/24/13
Which one Bear? They list the north twin, a Renaissance, and an overbag.
Posted By: Josh Sorensen Re: Good sleeping bag? - 02/24/13
Gotta go with a wiggy's bag. Great product and all USA made.
Posted By: kutenay Re: Good sleeping bag? - 02/24/13
I am going into my 8th year with my Integral Designs North Twin and 7th year with it's mate, the Andromeda Overbag. I have a custom ID Himalayan down bag that Evan, former owner of ID made me ten years ago and many of their bivies, tents and various shells/jackets.

The bags are among the finest I have ever used and all original ID gear is outstanding. IME. It is not the "cheapest", but, given the quality, it is well worth the price asked.

For most uses, I am a down bag person, especially in really cold weather; however, the combo of the ID-NT and AOB, are simply the most practical hunting bag setup I have and one I use on most trips.

The only real improvement in features that I can see for these bags would be if ID adopted the same stiff, slippery zipper tape that Western Mountaineering uses in their superb bags. The ID bag and insulated clothing zippers have a real tendency to catch on the little flap of fabric beside the actual zipper, especially, when zipped in a hurry, this is a major PITA.

For summer use, the Andromeda Overbag is ideal and works very well as a quilt, which is comfortable and easy to care for, just a fine piece of practical gear.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Good sleeping bag? - 02/24/13
Kute, any experience with the Renaissance? And anywhere you know of that you can buy ID stuff now?
Posted By: bearstalker Re: Good sleeping bag? - 02/24/13
Any thoughts on the Western Mountaineering sleeping bags?

And hey, Joe!
Posted By: kutenay Re: Good sleeping bag? - 02/25/13
I have never used a Renaissance, looked them over and chose the warmer NT, no regrets.

I would call Evan at ID Tactical direct and he should be able to supply what you require.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Good sleeping bag? - 02/25/13
Originally Posted by alaskaplumber
Whats the best affordable sleeping bag to get? I bought one last year off amazon, it keeps you warm but its heavy and it makes you sweat bad. I need a lightweight sleepbag that I can use into October atleast pluse keep you warm and dry.

Are you planning on back packing in October? How light do you want your bag and what kind of temp rating are you looking for?

I've been using a Wiggy's Ultra Lite for many years now and have had no issues or complaints. My next bag will be another Wiggy's, possibly a Glacier Hunter bag.
Posted By: fishdog52 Re: Good sleeping bag? - 02/25/13
A fleece liner improves the comfort and performance of most any sleeping bag. Does a really nice job with sweat. Much easier to keep things clean.
Posted By: YotaTRD4x4 Re: Good sleeping bag? - 03/06/13
Also not sure exactly what you want but I have and use a 4 Piece military surplus sleeping bag. It has a bag then a gortex outer then a thin green liner then a thick black liner that all snaps and zips together. They are good for any weather hot to extreme cold. I think they are rated to -60F. I was very comfortable at 6000ft elevation last year and the temps were in the teens at night with all 3 pieces I was hot and had to unzip a little. They are great value too at around $100 online. I got 2 from a buddy and love them. They are not super lightweight but light enough and the compression bag can be sat on and cinced down for a pretty compact bag. It will get really small if you dont need the thick winter liner in it. Anyhow thats just my thoughts.
Posted By: wildone Re: Good sleeping bag? - 03/06/13
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by alaskaplumber

Are you planning on back packing in October? How light do you want your bag and what kind of temp rating are you looking for?

I've been using a Wiggy's Ultra Lite for many years now and have had no issues or complaints. My next bag will be another Wiggy's, possibly a Glacier Hunter bag.

^ what he said . I have had the same experiences with the same bag. Its a zero degree bag and has done well for me during moose season and post rut caribou hunts.
Originally Posted by cwh2
Which one Bear? They list the north twin, a Renaissance, and an overbag.

CWH2: Sorry for being late - just saw your question. Just looked at the tag on my bag and it's labelled as "Emperor". All insulation is Primaloft and it's a mummy style.Maybe Barney's in Anchorage would have it since they sell (or did) some ID gear. Sorry, I'm not familiar with either of the 2 designs you mention.
Bear in Fairbanks
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Good sleeping bag? - 03/07/13
Thanks - I'll go talk to bob and see if I can get out of the store for less than a thousand bucks.

I love Barney's, but that place gets expensive.
Posted By: bearstalker Re: Good sleeping bag? - 03/07/13
Originally Posted by cwh2
Thanks - I'll go talk to bob and see if I can get out of the store for less than a thousand bucks.

I love Barney's, but that place gets expensive.

Barney's still doing the discount at the Alaska Sportsman's Show at the Sullivan? Not sure what % the discount was, but might save you some duckets.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Good sleeping bag? - 03/07/13
They were the last time I went to the show. Good idea.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Good sleeping bag? - 03/07/13
ID, WM and all the top line bags are great and worth every penny

but I go back to the word affordable that the OP inserted in his query

there's some gear ime that you can't afford to skimp upon, especially for bp hunting, optics come to mind right off the bat

but there are compromises that can be made and ime sleep bags are on of those

pard uses the ID big wall 3/4 bag for sheep hunts, it's great for his needs and that particular use

I use a NF Cat's meow, rated to 20F, fairly light weight and it lets me sleep warm and cozy all for around $120, it's a great value imo&e

he also has the snowshoe (guess now snow leopard, thanks to Mike's webfu) for later season hunts and where ounces don't come at such a premium

for those type situations I go to a Montbell flex bag, absolutely love the comfort that the stretch material provides

nothing wrong with buying a great expensive firearm to hunt with, or a bag to sleep in

but they are two places ime, that a guy can shave some dollars and come up with pretty similar results to higher priced offerings

I bought one of the Wiggy's mountaineering bags, to use sheep hunting, ime I much prefer the NF Cat's meow for that use, it's lighter and warmer.

but that's not intended as a slam to folks that use and like their Wiggy's gear, just mileage varies. all I'm doing is giving you my real world experience.

I've slept warm, and dry in my Cat's Meow, it's been a good gear purchase for me and left me money to spend on optics or other gear by doing so.
Posted By: joelbiltz Re: Good sleeping bag? - 03/08/13
Dont overlook the KIFARU SLIK BAG ITS A GREAT BAG
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Good sleeping bag? - 03/09/13
Originally Posted by joelbiltz
Dont overlook the KIFARU SLIK BAG ITS A GREAT BAG

I had overlooked it, but it was my mistake, Kifaru makes some great gear

and to boot they're some of the best folks on the planet making it.

good catch sir, good catch
© 24hourcampfire