Home
Posted By: las What load for grouse? - 10/23/13
Hit Anchorage about 2:30 a.m., slept a few hours in hotel there enroute from Jamaica to Kotzebue by way of Sterling to pick up the dog from kennel and check on things. Got here about noon, let the dog out into the yard and he soon flushed a cock grouse just outside the yard, said bird flying into the top of a spruce in the yard.

I grabbed the single 12 beater off the moose rack, a load out of the target-load box and popped the bird from about 20 yards. Inch-sized gouge through the bottom of the keel. Most of the breast was still edible tho. I guess that 3 inch length should have been a clue..... I suspect the wife of "putting things away" again.

OO Buck does work on grouse! Oops. smile
Posted By: ironbender Re: What load for grouse? - 10/23/13
At what point did it fail? smile

LOL.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: What load for grouse? - 10/23/13
Uhhh... it overpenetrated you maroon!
Guess I forgot the smiley face...

:P
Posted By: ironbender Re: What load for grouse? - 10/23/13
again.
Originally Posted by las
... enroute from Jamaica to Kotzebue

Bobsledding again?
Posted By: wildone Re: What load for grouse? - 10/23/13
thats more like a tundra swan load smile
Just realized he is up there where they can do that! I am jealous!
Posted By: luv2safari Re: What load for grouse? - 10/23/13
I'd drop down to 4-0 buck.

Better patterns. wink

Yeah, I know...more cripples. smirk
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: What load for grouse? - 10/24/13
I've shot a few spruce hens with a 480 revolver, but not full power loads. A sedate 310 gr @ 700 fps. The only problem is I keep forgetting my mild load hits lower than the full power loads so seem to drill them in the chest vs. the head (thats my story and I'm sticking to it) Meat loss is suprisingly minimal, caliber size entrance and quarter size exit.

Need to start going on local hikes with my pellet gun now that we can hunt small game in our subunit.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: What load for grouse? - 10/24/13
A buddy of mine ...a few years ago ..pulled a fast one on me ...I had walked under a narrow tree on a hill behind livengood ...I did not know it, but a grouse was on the top of the only spruce 20' of anything for tree for a 100yds....I heard "hey look up"! and was rite there to see what a 180ge .338 does to them at 100 yds ....30' circle of blast/mouse food...(ps I did give'm chit for waste..in my book/but it was quite a site)
Posted By: ironbender Re: What load for grouse? - 10/24/13
So....your "buddy" shot into a tree feet above your head from 100 yds away?
30 feet up .....the bad guys shooting at us while we were in the army ....got a lot closer.
So you shot back at your "buddy", right?
Not really picking on you ATV, but your "buddy" is an ass.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: What load for grouse? - 10/24/13
Great prank Farva.
Had to google that reference.
true... aint spoke nor seen in 3+ years....former buddy smile btw, i draw power from being picked on grin
Posted By: UncleJesse Re: What load for grouse? - 10/24/13
Reminds me of a story I heard. May have been here...

Out big game hunting with the wife and a grouse presents itself on the two-track. I'm packing the 270 and tell the wife I can't shoot it with the 270 because there'll be nothing left. We walk on and come across a deer presented broadside. I lift my rifle to shoot and the wife says "You aren't gonna put a grouse-sized hole through that poor deer, are you?"
still not picking on you. Your toll booth will hit me heavy next time north!
Posted By: Wolfwoman Re: What load for grouse? - 10/24/13
What load for grouse? .22 through the head, I hate picking birshot outta my dinner.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: What load for grouse? - 10/24/13
Originally Posted by Wolfwoman
What load for grouse? .22 through the head, I hate picking birshot outta my dinner.

ain't it grin
Posted By: las Re: What load for grouse? - 10/29/13
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by las
... enroute from Jamaica to Kotzebue

Bobsledding again?

Saw the (or a) sled on display in Montego Bay airport. smile
Posted By: las Re: What load for grouse? - 10/29/13
Originally Posted by Wolfwoman

I can't hit heads with a .22 at any common range on a regular basis , but I'm pretty good with lung shots thru the ribs at the wing root. Even if a bit low, no real meat loss, and it's a bigger target.

I miss my Nylon 77..... That thing was deadly, but alas, it's sleeping with the fishes in the Tanana.

And as pointed out - that 00Buck did over-penetrate a mite.... smile
© 24hourcampfire