Home
Posted By: mart Just finished a good book. - 03/13/14
Just finished reading "Fifty Years Below Zero", by Charles Brower. Man, they were some tough folks back then. Some interesting history of the early days of the Barrow area. A good read for anyone interested in the Arctic.

Mart
I've read it too. It is far more interesting than you would think.
Well, I just bought it from Amazon for my Kindle.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Just finished a good book. - 03/14/14
Great book. Amazing the life that guy lived and how much the world changed while he was in it.
FYI: download from Barnes and Noble for free. You can read it on iBooks or the Nook mobile app (or a nook if you have one).
Thanks Mart.

Really enjoying this book.
Posted By: rufous Re: Just finished a good book. - 03/26/14
I recently read Alaska's Wolf Man by Jim Rear den about Frank Glaser. Great book. Currently reading The Blue Bear by Lynn Schooler. Quite good as well.
Half way through the book and either ain't that tough or really don't want the hardship. Those days were different and I do admire them.
If you've never read it check out " Alaska- Yukon Trophies won and Lost by G.O. Young and you'll see what the old time Artic Safari's were really about. Great Read IMHO
Finished the book and I'll give it a high rating.
Thanks for the info. Downloading it to my nook now!
Originally Posted by rufous
I recently read Alaska's Wolf Man by Jim Rear den about Frank Glaser. Great book. Currently reading The Blue Bear by Lynn Schooler. Quite good as well.

After you're done with Blue Bear read Walking Home by Lynn Schooler. It's a great book as well. I've read Alaskas Wolfman 6 or 7 times. I also enjoy the books by the Murie family...Adolf, Olaus and Margaret.
Posted By: rufous Re: Just finished a good book. - 04/18/14
I am actually currently reading Walking Home. Great book. Really enjoying the history that he interjects into his story.
I enjoy Schoolers' style of writing. I've read it several times and have enjoyed it each time. 2 in the Far North by Margaret Murie is a good read as well.

Next I'm going to read the "Last Shot" by Schooler. Just read "Last of the Great Brown Bear men" again (4th time). Great book about Bill Pinnell and Morris Talifson.
Posted By: rufous Re: Just finished a good book. - 04/19/14
Another Alaska book I really liked is On The Edge Of Nowhere by James Huntington. He had one hell of a hard life but just kept trying. Inspiring man.
© 24hourcampfire