Home
Posted By: Ringman Deets? - 08/04/14
How much mosquito repellant do I need for two men for ten days?
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: Deets? - 08/04/14
Where and when are a ya going? Skeeters don't affect me like white socks and no-see-eums do. I do all I can to avoid the stuff but depending on what you are doing, a couple of cans will be plenty. One to use, the other for backup in case you lose it. If I have to go down that road, schits real bad and I'm going for Bens 100 or Deepwoods. Maximum deet possible.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Deets? - 08/04/14
none if you're going to Anchorage'

if you're gonna be outa town I'd think the two cans would be plenty
Posted By: ironbender Re: Deets? - 08/04/14
Originally Posted by Ringman
How much mosquito repellant do I need for two men for ten days?

Too many variables to truthfully answer, with all due respect to my friends above.

2-13 oz cans of spray is a good baseline.
Posted By: TheKuskokid Re: Deets? - 08/04/14
Bring a hood for the no-see-um's, nothing stops them.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Deets? - 08/04/14
Thanks for the info. I'm going out of Kotzubue between September 17-25.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Deets? - 08/04/14
Have to agree with the rest of the guys here, I'd worry about no-seeums and white socks. Mosquitos shouldn't be much of an issue that late in the year.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Deets? - 08/04/14
We take a bug top, with a hood.

And a couple cans of bug balm for when they are not so bad...

Never used or brought any Deet or such. But have never done AK earlier than July.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Deets? - 08/04/14
Deet works great but I hate putting that stuff on my skin. I've seen what it can do to a styrofoam cup and it kinda makes you think twice before putting it on. Agree, a headnet is your friend.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Deets? - 08/04/14
last week of sept ...white sock/no see'ems is about all there will be that late u could easying get away wit a little bottle of 100% deet ......I make my own for fishing trip as I don't like the "feeling" of that oily crap ...ALONG with what it does to some nylons !....I buy a good 18/24/32 oz chemical spray bottle that puts out a fine mist pour in the little bottle of deet and fill the balance with.... Isopropyl Alcohol its available in 70% and 99%...go with the 99% every time ...shake and spray it's a fine mist that does the job and it evaporates ...so no feelings of oily/nasty...etc... my .02cents
Posted By: Ringman Re: Deets? - 08/04/14
Net on the way.
Posted By: battue Re: Deets? - 08/08/14
Why you will be glad you brought a net. I think those dark spots are what they refer to as "white socks". They will eventually drive you a little over the edge.

[Linked Image]

Had one acquaintance who swelled up bad if he put deet on himself.
Posted By: taz4570 Re: Deets? - 08/08/14
Good thread. We will be SW of Petersberg Sept 5-15 and was wondering the same myself. Looks like I'm in the market for a headnet/hat.

Good idea on mixing the deet, never liked the goopy stuff.
Posted By: las Re: Deets? - 08/14/14
When in doubt - over-compensate. Net and plenty of Deet. - nothing less than 30% - the higher the better.

Tho truth to tell those little MF-ing No-seeums aren't deterred by anything until in actual contact with the skin - and then sometimes not then. White-socks ain't much better...
Posted By: MarlinMark Re: Deets? - 08/14/14
Ringman isn't going anywhere.
Posted By: taz4570 Re: Deets? - 08/16/14
Do we have to contend with these guys in early September near Petersburg?
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Deets? - 08/16/14
yup...
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Deets? - 08/16/14
I was expecting a Lonesome Dove thread...
Posted By: taz4570 Re: Deets? - 08/17/14
Great. Looking for good bug gear. You AK guys have any recommendations?

Like the Lonesome Dove note!!
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Deets? - 08/17/14
Originally Posted by taz4570
Like the Lonesome Dove note!!

Glad someone got the reference to Deets. laugh
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Deets? - 08/19/14
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
if you're gonna be outa town I'd think the two cans would be plenty

I never used two cans in over 30 years in Alaska. I have wore a head net a couple of times, and gloves for white socks on occasion.

I know the Fairbanks boys are tougher and don't have to wear them though. smile
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Deets? - 08/19/14
The whole bug dope thing is pretty hard to answer since the need is quite personal anyway. For mosquitoes, a can of 30% Muskol will last me a couple of years, at least, since I very rarely use it. Mostly I just rub our large, lazy mosquitoes away unless they send whole battalions (as they sometimes do in certain river or tundra situations). And some people are a lot more sensitive to their probes than others are. I am one of the fortunate ones while my wife and one son seem to be very sensitive to the brand of anticoagulant found in many of our species.

Gnats and biting flies are a whole 'nuther deal though; I detest them and don't find Deet to be as effective as one would hope it might be. Fortunately these little critters seem to be more of a seasonal problem in many areas, while mosquitoes are here for the long haul during snow-free times.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Deets? - 08/19/14
Here on the KP a couple cans lasted many years.....until last year. And this year.

Last year the dang stuff was hard to find in June!
Posted By: las Re: Deets? - 08/25/14
So, Ringman, how did it go???

Danged nice weather- I bet the bugs were horrific out there away from the coast?
© 24hourcampfire