Home
Like the show and the concept. What I don't understand is how they run that operation on a few head of cattle. They have all of the equipment & tools needed & some good stuff at that. Just don't see the cash flow to operate. Fuel costs money, and when they break out the river barge to transport a few head of cattle many miles for breeding or boat 90 miles for a few deer? Just can't see the economics in it? Do they have their own oil field?
http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/singers/jewel-net-worth/

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/singers/atz-kilcher-net-worth/

http://jukebox.uaf.edu/site7/p/590

http://juneauempire.com/stories/071397/marriott.html
I guess that explains it. Thanks
I was to post the same .... at least they aint running for state office (power)
0...so they can tell us what to do
rosco1
Thanks for that information. I have watched the show but had no idea of the background of the family. I really appreciate the update. Cheers NC
From what I've been told, the show with the (Kilchers) is shot within sight of town - where they get groceries.
I hope so,aint a one of them that can shoot.

The only thing dumber than the show is their names. Obviously there are some weird people out there that have added to the wealth of that family if the links are true about their fortune.

Money will compensate for a lot of stupid, and watching these guys shoot at bears and run cattle in a swamp, it is a wonder they have enough cattle to take one down the nearby river to the neighbor to have his bull breed their cow.

Reality TV appeals to some mindless people and the reality of it isn't too real...
Another Alaska reality show that stinks.
Atz Kilcher was NOT born in 1977. I'm not sure about his net worth either.
The Kilchers show is about 100 times more entertaining than those morons up in the Copper River Valley. They are actually getting something done!
Yeah. I like the one where the Husband and Wife are going bear hunting & he provides her with her new rifle, on the trail. She had never shot it before and obviously not much experience in handling one. She shoots it prone with a lot of space between the butt pad & her shoulder. The result was a smack in the eye. He let this happen. It wasn't too impressive.
Kinda feel sorry for all you guys up there with all these tv shows going on. I've seen what it does to the hunting down here in the lower 48, its only a matter of time before they phhuk it up.They come in shoot the piss out of the place while looking for the next hot spot to move to after they have raped all the quality stuff. If you got something good keep your pie hole shut .

Now in regards to the so called reality shows, I'll just let the content speak for itself
nuff said.
Most all these AK shows are just that , shows , the "reality" part is subjective at best.
The only one that I have bothered to watch more then once, is "Life below Zero"
Atz's son was born in '77-Atz Lee. Everything in the show is staged. As in pushing cows across the Fox River to film them coming back again. They are not hunters. In fact, Otto once gave me s*** for shooting snowshoes for dinner when I rented the "Barn" which is now Atz Lee's house.

They live 1/4 mile off the highway and 2 miles from a post office/ general store/ gas station.

They use public land/government subsidized programs in the cattle op.

Jewel, the pop/folk singer, is Atz's daughter.
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes
The only one that I have bothered to watch more then once, is "Life below Zero"

That one with that mouthy gal up north? Of all the shows, she really ruins that one big time...
When i am bored enough to turn to the tv for entertainment - i usually get what i deserve.
Atz shows up for the peninsula fair/rodeo and has been pleasant to chat with. Down to earth
Originally Posted by rosco1
I hope so,aint a one of them that can shoot.

Yeah but Jewel can sing! I think her dad teaches in Nikiski. I e heard bim sing too. Not bad. But I don't think they contribute to the old homestead..... smile

I wouldn't believe everything I see on Scripted TV. Like shooting a wolf that's in rigor by tn
The time it's rode up to or having to teach your adult boys how to track a horse dragging a rope across mudflats
It's entertainment, that's how I look at most of these shows.

The only one I refuse to watch is Alaska Bush People, doesn't get any faker than that IMO.
I like the show and the concept, I just wonder about the "reality" of it. Having grown up on a farm, I've seen them do some very stupid un-farmerly-type stuff. You don't live long where they are by being stupid.

The show about McGrath is just comic relief.

I like Gold Rush, and I even know some of the folks in it, Gene Cheeseman and Roger Schnabel from down this way.
Originally Posted by Scorpion8
I like the show and the concept, I just wonder about the "reality" of it. Having grown up on a farm, I've seen them do some very stupid un-farmerly-type stuff. You don't live long where they are by being stupid.

The show about McGrath is just comic relief.

I like Gold Rush, and I even know some of the folks in it, Gene Cheeseman and Roger Schnabel from down this way.

Do you know how John Schnabel is doing? My wife absolutely loves him and the relationship he shares with Parker.
I don't think you have to wonder about the "reality" of it. Kilchers are homesteaders and outdoors people. What you see is Hollywood scripting.
rost495
I believe the gal you refer to runs the refueling station for aircraft. I believe if you check into her background she had a bear take swipe at her and loosen up about half of her scalp,
she got back into the building and ended up trying to sew it back on as she was all alone for about 10 days till some one showed up. If so she is one tough old bird. Cheers NC
I worked a remote chum salmon project in Haines, our incubators are are on the road that goes out to Big Nugget. I cringed when those idiots drove the excavator through salmon spawning grounds but apparently fish and game issued them a permit....
Originally Posted by FishinHank
I cringed when those idiots drove the excavator through salmon spawning grounds but apparently fish and game issued them a permit....

But woe is the poor soul who is suspected of walking/wading a Honda across a remote anadromous stream in the course of a fall hunt...
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by FishinHank
I cringed when those idiots drove the excavator through salmon spawning grounds but apparently fish and game issued them a permit....

But woe is the poor soul who is suspected of walking/wading a Honda across a remote anadromous stream in the course of a fall hunt...

Yup
Originally Posted by northcountry
rost495
I believe the gal you refer to runs the refueling station for aircraft. I believe if you check into her background she had a bear take swipe at her and loosen up about half of her scalp,
she got back into the building and ended up trying to sew it back on as she was all alone for about 10 days till some one showed up. If so she is one tough old bird. Cheers NC

I dont doubt she is tough, to simply live there 24/7 you'd have to be. Mentally and physically.

But the constant cussing and drama gets that channel flipped pretty quickly typically around the house.

Of course, in the real world she may be fine, it all is probably scripting.

Of course our take on that, unless you need the TV money to survive, you'd never force us to do what we didnt' feel was right or real. Its also why you'll never see us on TV. LOL.

I'd not sell my soul to TV at any point. In fact years ago I ushered MAD around on a turkey hunt they filmed. That was what turned me so sour against most hunting shows... all faked and put together instead of how it really happens....

So I should give her the benefit of the doubt.

I can watch the Flying Wild Alaska one a bit. The rest is simply garbage. Saw about 1 minute of Wild West Alaska and just about puked.
I think we liked the flying one the best just because of what we got to see of where they flew.
But it too was scripted stuff.. yes your flight is going to be bouncy if hte pilot keeps yankign the yoke....

After watching just a bit, I quickly tired of the crap they did while "managing" their cattle operation.

Bunch of BS. No thanks.

I do watch Life below zero a little. When the mouthy gal comes on, the mute button gets hit.

I used to watch a couple of the flying shows, but they are off now.
Sue on Life Below Zero "walks the walk". I can listen to her "talk the talk". How many of you critical guys have ever sewn your own scalp back on after surviving a grizzly attack. 99% of all women would have quit that job and moved to town. She's tougher than most of us.
Originally Posted by swampshooter
Sue on Life Below Zero "walks the walk". I can listen to her "talk the talk". How many of you critical guys have ever sewn your own scalp back on after surviving a grizzly attack. 99% of all women would have quit that job and moved to town. She's tougher than most of us.

Never doubted her in that regard.

Doesn't mean I have to enjoy or even endure her incessant bitch-fest and over-the-top drama.
rost495,

I'd not sell my soul to TV at any point.

I like reading that. You are a man after my own heart.

My dad used to do commercials for TV when my daughters were small. One time one of the directors wanted him to say, "That pisses me off." He told them something like, "You want me to use filthy language on TV. One of my grand daughters might here that. No way." The director told him, "Everyone has their price. My dad responded with, "Well, now you've met someone who does not have a price," and turned and started off the set. The director called him back and used different words to get the same message across.
...you mean they all aren't on the edge of starvation?
Originally Posted by swampshooter

Be pretty hard for me to sew my own scalp on, seeing as I've never been attacked by a bear.

But don't go assuming there are not still other folks out there that would do what needs to be done, to get the job done.

I'd say folks that live alone for the winters are tougher than anyone RE sewing a piece of skin back together...
It's amazing what we can do when there's no other choice.
Can't understand why folks that rich would want cameras on them.Myself,I'd wanna be left alone to enjoy my money.
© 24hourcampfire