Home
http://peninsulaclarion.com/news/2015-01-22/federal-board-allows-gillnetting-on-the-kasilof-river
That should really up the entertainment value while being on the river. It will be interesting to see the crowds reaction when they slide that net out into the river, and you know there will be a crowd watching. It will be even better when they start tossing rainbows and dollies into the boat. I can't wait!
Unbelievable!!!
Great!!! Once again giving a Native "agency" the "right" to do that which they explicitly gave up in return for all of the good Federal land they could claim and use to block access for everyone else to land which they do not own...

Tony POS Knowles really put it to us on this one and it may take a long, long time before another good test case makes it to the SCOTUS and gets us out of this mess.
Yep. Uncle Tony wrote himself one hell of a legacy in the history books; he sold out his entire state for the '98 Native vote... to win an election!!
Like I said on AOD, give em a choice. Food stamps or Federal Subsistance. Shouldn't be able to double dip and live the "subsistance" lifestyle by getting special privelages and then go down to the AC and swipe your EBT card, which is a higher rate in rural areas.
They should have something similar set up for the negros in this country also. They should have subsistence fishing and hunting; but only in the best areas.
Originally Posted by Calvin
Like I said on AOD, give em a choice. Food stamps or Federal Subsistance. Shouldn't be able to double dip and live the "subsistance" lifestyle by getting special privelages and then go down to the AC and swipe your EBT card, which is a higher rate in rural areas.

Hahaha! I bet that went over like a lead balloon.
The council argued that the current dipnet, rod and reel, and fish wheel allowances are not sufficient for their subsistence needs.

The council argued that the current dipnet, rod and reel, and fish wheel allowances are not sufficient for their subsistence needs.

I'm not sure how a 25 sockeye per household limit is going to be sufficient for subsistence needs anyway, though I would think it might be possible to get that with legal methods presently allowed.

Money talks and the trawls have it, not to mention the fact that salmon are undoubtedly affected by foreign drift nets that we can't do much, if anything, about. Virtually every entity which is party to salmon harvest needs to look at what is being done, and what can be done, to enhance production. Throwing another subsistence net or three probably isn't going to have much affect as they are, but people need to realize that these affects are cumulative. Everybody wants theirs - and rightly so- as long as all parties are not being held accountable in parity.
25 per household head plus 10 per dependent. Each fish provides at least 6 person-meals, probably 8. Lets call it 6, making 60 dependent meals, or 5 per month. Combined with the 25, plus sport catch, this seems sufficient for the
"average" family, combined with shellfish, other fish, game, and store- bought.

The wife and I eat fish at least once per week , usually twice, not always salmon, so I seldom take our limit of 35 personal use salmon and have t used a rod in years

The bottom line is some people are lazy, do not want to compete on a level field, or consider themselves "more than equal"..

Lets keep in mind that neither gill nets nor fish wheels are traditional in these two rivers, and in fact were introduced across Alaska from outside just over a century ago.
The bottom line is some people are lazy, do not want to compete on a level field, or consider themselves "more than equal"..

I imagine they'll be able to legally sell their subsistence catch to keep things equal also.
It's a cash economy.

SINO
Subsistence In Name Only.
Getting the Feds involved is never the secret to good management of wildlife resources (or education, or income assistance benefits: "SNAP", or ��..).

This is not about income assistance programs. There is no reason that anyone from this group could not take as many fish as they might need the same way other users must.

I for one understand the "educational fishery" on the Kenai and have always supported it. It is the best way to teach new generations about the old ways. No different than the "educational Moose hunts" I have been involved with for ten years (along side guys like Ironbender and Spartan Gunner.)

Putting nets across the Kenai and Kasilof is not about the old ways but about a new way for getting "mine" regardless of other Alaskans. Not a single family or person will ever go hungry without this.

May the best fish win
�We only have the one thing to look after, and it�s the interests of the subsistence community,� he said. I�m here to fight for the people. I�m here to look after their needs, and their need is food, not money.�

So you're saying this means just exactly what it looks like it means, huh?

I don't believe I have heard people who actually depend on these resources not refer to preservation for the future when they make these kinds of requests or demands. I thought it ironic that that was left out. The people I know often include the idea of future, not just the past, in their concept of "time immemorial".
So you're saying this means just exactly what it looks like it means, huh?

Yup!

The people I know often include the idea of future, not just the past, in their concept of "time immemorial".

You are a wise gent, Klik!

"all are created equal but some are more equal than others"
Requests for reconsideration are open to the public by mail, fax, and email at the Federal Subsistence Board�s website, http://www.doi.gov/subsistence/proposal/reconsideration/index.cfm. The January meeting concluded the fisheries regulatory cycle for the year. The board will now focus on wildlife. The next board meetings will be held in June of 2015, January and April of 2016. Dates have not yet been set.

No one I know or have heard of in CooperLanding and Hope use or support "subsistence" special use. It is all Ninilchik , which has a well documented history of nepotism and corruption.

Kinda the Appalatia of the Kenai.
Uhhhhh... Always thought that would be North Kenai???
I believe they missed the boat on this one, they should have went with the use of a beach seine, could have taken the reds and released other catch,there would still be some other species kill but it would be a lot less than a gill net.
This net will be needed to control sockeye escapement once KRSA gets comm set nets banned in this "urban" area.
I'm not well versed on the proposed ban,what is the harvest of these Set Net sites?
Special privileges for certain groups. Just not right.
Originally Posted by 60n148w
I'm not well versed on the proposed ban,what is the harvest of these Set Net sites?

The set netters target sockeyes. KRSA is trying to ban set nets in "urban" areas, primarily Cook Inlet east side. These set nets are a big tool for F&G to control sockeye escapement into the Kenai River.

Their claim is that too many Kings are caught. The problem with their logic is that the early run of kings (May-June) has really dropped off but set netters don't fish then.

http://www.adn.com/article/20140723/court-finds-urban-setnet-ban-initiative-can-move-forward
AFCA's exec officer is Clark Penney. The name should sound familiar; he is Bob Penny's grandson. Bob Penney is a big proponent of getting rid of commercial fishing to benefit sport fishing. Bob Penney should also be remembered for selling Sen. Liiisa Kenai River property (adjacent to his own) at such a discount to cause a big enough appearance of graft that she had to sell it back to Penney.

KRSA's Exec officer is Ricky Gease, the infamous liar that got fish board meetings dealing with Cook Inlet issues moved to Anchorage rather than Soldotna under the guise of safety for the board members from Comm fishers.

I just read your links,rather interesting .I wonder who first coined the expression urban area set net I don't think the term exist in the commercial regs. I'm surprised the judge didn't require lats and longs that establish fishing areas and boundrys,at least I didn't see it if she did.
© 24hourcampfire