Home
Posted By: SuburbanHunter Weather is relative - 01/29/15
Y'all have probably heard this before but I was in working in Alaska this week and we were talking about current event. One of the gals was saying...

Well 2 to 3 feet of snow, sub-zero temperatures, 50+ MPH winds. Back east they call it "A Storm of Epic Proportions".... in Alaska we call it Tuesday.

Gotta love Alaska. I do anyway.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Weather is relative - 01/29/15
I've been on the slope all week. Was supposed to be a 3 day trip but we had a bit of wind so they closed the roads for 2 days. -25 ambient is tolerable, but the wind chill was -60 to -80 and that's just plane offensive.

We were lucky as the drifting snow blocked the well pad we were going out to and if we'd stayed there an hour or so past when we left Sunday night, we would have been stuck there for two days. Sleeping on a steel floor in arctic gear would not have been fun.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Weather is relative - 01/29/15
The thermo was stuck at -38�F for 8 hours steady and I figured maybe it was broke. Then it jetted up to -35� F in a two hour period! I'm thankful the thermometers work though. Without wind, you really can't tell when it's cold otherwise. smile (At least not without standing still outdoors for half an hour.)
Posted By: las Re: Weather is relative - 01/30/15
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
The thermo was stuck at -38�F for 8 hours steady and I figured maybe it was broke. Then it jetted up to -35� F in a two hour period! I'm thankful the thermometers work though. Without wind, you really can't tell when it's cold otherwise. smile (At least not without standing still outdoors for half an hour.)

Dang Mark - thats right up there with the "over-penetrates" thing... and true.

And assuming you have clothes on when going outdoors... smile
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Weather is relative - 01/31/15
I've got some relatives I'd like to leave out in the weather.
Posted By: whelennut Re: Weather is relative - 02/05/15
You gotta love the looks on peoples face when they live in the south and you show them pictures of people driving out on the ice to go fishing!
whelennut
Posted By: ironbender Re: Weather is relative - 02/06/15
Be careful trying to cross the Chena now. The Dale Rd ice road is iffy.

A nice P/U went through last weekend at -30 or so.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Weather is relative - 02/06/15
Originally Posted by whelennut
You gotta love the looks on peoples face when they live in the south and you show them pictures of people driving out on the ice to go fishing!
whelennut

I wonder if they would consider accompanying the next time we ride the 621 miles between Fairbanks and home, about 550 miles of which are on frozen water? grin
Posted By: TheKuskokid Re: Weather is relative - 02/07/15
It all depends on the river. If the water moves too fast, it won't freeze. You have to get out of the truck and go check.
Posted By: mart Re: Weather is relative - 02/07/15
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I've been on the slope all week. Was supposed to be a 3 day trip but we had a bit of wind so they closed the roads for 2 days. -25 ambient is tolerable, but the wind chill was -60 to -80 and that's just plane offensive.

We were lucky as the drifting snow blocked the well pad we were going out to and if we'd stayed there an hour or so past when we left Sunday night, we would have been stuck there for two days. Sleeping on a steel floor in arctic gear would not have been fun.

Which project are you on? I just got home from Point Thomson last night for my R&R.
© 24hourcampfire