Home
Posted By: Shortgrub 1st time in Alaska - 04/16/15
Flying into anchorage and headed to Hatcher Pass in August, driving vacation. Which way to go?
any recommendations to pilots in the area for a float plane or fishing trip, possible a 4 wheeler tour. Got a few of days to play

thanks,

Tim
Posted By: TheKid Re: 1st time in Alaska - 04/16/15
Get Trail Ridge Air to fly you out for silvers or pike. They're good folks and competitively priced. You'll need your own rods and reels for pike but you catch about 100 times the fish you will silver fishing.

Drive to the Kenai and get a day trip on the river for salmon or rainbows. Good scenery on the drive and the fishing can be great. If I was paying the day rate for a charter I'd be rainbow fishing but I'm kinda burnt out on salmon so do as you see fit.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: 1st time in Alaska - 04/16/15
Welcome! Have a blast! Good recos from the Kid.
Posted By: VernAK Re: 1st time in Alaska - 04/17/15
August is good timing as the bugs are mostly gone and fall colors are beginning........Seward can usually provide a limit of silver salmon.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: 1st time in Alaska - 04/17/15
What are you doing in Hatcher Pass? I've spent a fair amount of time in that area hunting and riding wheelers/sleds.
Posted By: Shortgrub Re: 1st time in Alaska - 04/22/15
Thanks for the ideas. I'll be there the 2nd week of august. Staying at Hatcher Pass the 1st 5 nights then to anchorage for the rest of my stay. Don't really have anything planned yet. Just want to see the area.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: 1st time in Alaska - 04/22/15
Are you camping in Hatcher Pass or staying at the lodge?
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: 1st time in Alaska - 04/22/15
The Mother Load lodge burned down last week. They suspect arson.
I hate to ask but are there more than one lodge at Hatcher Pass? Guess I need to make a phone call
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: 1st time in Alaska - 04/22/15
Hatcher Pass Lodge is one, they have cabins you can stay in. http://www.hatcherpasslodge.com/accommodations/

There is another lodge on the Willow side of Hatcher Pass but I can't seem to find any info on that one, it's been a few years since I've been up there and they may have closed.
Posted By: rost495 Re: 1st time in Alaska - 04/22/15
I would make sure you had reservations if it was me...

We did our first ever trip in late august/and into September...

We had none. Lets just say it got interesting a few times.... but it did work out... I suspect its a bit rougher these days, that was in the mid 80s
I already have reservations at Hatcher Pass Lodge for august. I have one of the cabins. Looking forward to seeing the area.
Posted By: ruffedgrouse Re: 1st time in Alaska - 04/22/15
Shortgrub: My son guides on the Kenai and August is prime time for silvers. He works for an outfit called Riverbend Resort. If you'd like, I could connect him to you and you could give him a call. He's guiding for steelhead this month down by Yakatat but I think it might benefit you to chat with him regarding the fishing.
Posted By: Shortgrub Re: 1st time in Alaska - 04/23/15
ruffedgrouse sent ya a PM
© 24hourcampfire