Home
Posted By: Ptarmigan 20 mile tide - 05/20/15
I can't remember what the time difference is between high tide at Sunrise and at 20 mile. Anybody know? Art, I'm bettin you do. Thinking about running up this weekend with the boys and pitching a tent for the night. I would prefer to hit the launch around high on both days. Thanks.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: 20 mile tide - 05/22/15
Hitting it on serious highs is as bad as lows. The launch and haul window is quite a bit wider than that. We are looking at making some noise up there this weekend, too.

I always look at it as an hour later at the head of the Arm.
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: 20 mile tide - 05/22/15
Thanks Art. Don't run me over with one of those mini boats! I'll be a bit slower with my little Alweld.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: 20 mile tide - 05/22/15
I'll be in a medium sized boat with a mudwonder and Riley will have his mini. The Garbage Scow stays home tomorrow.
Posted By: ironbender Re: 20 mile tide - 05/23/15
What is a mud wonder?
Posted By: las Re: 20 mile tide - 05/24/15
I think I don't want to know... I have enough problems already.

But I'm guessing Art has a long shaft sticking out his backside. Of the boat, that is...... smile
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: 20 mile tide - 05/24/15
Originally Posted by ironbender
What is a mud wonder?

An incredible exposed prop motor that can be lifted to various levels to maximize/minimize contact with the bottom. They are really best for weeds. I was amazed at how much abuse they take without showing it.

My nephew's boat and he was actually running a Mud Buddy brand motor. 35hp and air-cooled.

We ended up by-passing the cluster at 20-mile and went up Placer. Only one other boat up there and we only heard them briefly.
Posted By: rost495 Re: 20 mile tide - 05/24/15
Figured it was a mud motor of some kind.

In the right water/mud they do very well. They do super in weeds since it would clog up a normal motor. Air cooled instead of water too.

We looked long and hard at one, and then ended up with 2 airboats instead. Can do much more that way. except you need a fuel station every so far. LOL.
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: 20 mile tide - 05/24/15
I dove right into the cluster at 20-mile today. Decided to run 7-8 miles up and let the boys do some shooting with their 22. Couldn't believe the amount of folks there. Luckily it only took a couple of minutes by boat to leave them all behind. Never saw another soul up river. We did stop and load up on hooligan just up from the madness. Took about 15 min to fill the cooler. I think I'm going to wait until the hoolies have moved on to go back down though.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: las Re: 20 mile tide - 05/26/15
Almost bought a 35 hp Mudder. That's who rescued the wife and I on our summer-cabin fiasco a couple years ago when my motor came apart. Actually, I almost bought the rescue boat with it's 2 year old motor....

Those motors are really noisy and heavy, tho. Bought a new Yamaha 40/30 jet unit instead. The wife insisted.

I really hate that..... smile
© 24hourcampfire