Home
The wife and I would like to visit Gods Country this winter with the hope of catching a Northern Lights show. Any recommendations on where to go, where to stay?
Thanks,
Anywhere outside of a light polluted town/city. They have been spectacular here in Bethel.
They were nice in Barrow. But if you don't want to go that far, just north or south of Fairbanks can still give you some good northern lights.
Chena hot springs might be a good choice. That way if the lights aren't out, at least you can enjoy the hot springs.
Originally Posted by TheKuskokid
Anywhere outside of a light polluted town/city. They have been spectacular here in Bethel.

This......I was in moose camp fron the 29th to the 11th and on clear nights they were incredible. There was one time we actually saw them before it go dark.
The two Northern lights displays that were the most memorable were flying into Fairbanks in February for a meeting and watching them from the air with all the colors, and this past Saturday night in Anchorage where they were the most active I've ever seen them.
Kotz in January!
This past saturday must have been great. We were in Delta and solid cloud cover and low, and you could STILL see the activity... but no photos...
Anywhere in the interior around Fairbanks is the place to watch and take photos of the Auroras. But this year is has been cloudy most of the time. It's starting to get cold, but not too bad so far. Otherwise you can wait until March for slightly warmer temperatures.

These two were taken by my campsite during moose season a couple of weeks ago:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

In March this year (the purple color can't be seen by the human eye most times). This is the first time in 20 years that I was able to capture Auroras with these colors:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast
Last week out my cabin door off the steese... Was a great spot !
© 24hourcampfire