Home
Posted By: Mikki Bear tanning - 11/25/15
Best place in Anchorage to have a bear tanned? Price and quality work. No rug just tanned.
Steve
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Bear tanning - 11/25/15
If it were me I would send it to Moyles.
Posted By: boliep Re: Bear tanning - 11/25/15
Try Juli. She is actually in Wasilla but her work is fantastic and superb ethics.

http://www.alaskawildliferugs.com/index.html
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Bear tanning - 11/26/15
Originally Posted by Mikki
Best place in Anchorage to have a bear tanned? Price and quality work. No rug just tanned.
Steve

Alpha Fur Dressers or Arctic Wolf as it's now called under new ownership.

My co worker sent one out that he whacked last week. He sent it out on Friday and it'll be back within the week.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Bear tanning - 11/26/15
Who bought alpha fur? I know Gary was running himself ragged with that place.
Posted By: las Re: Bear tanning - 11/26/15
Alpha did my wolf. Excellent!
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: Bear tanning - 11/26/15
Any tanning bed would work. Be sure to apply plenty of lotion on the nose and azz as these areas are quite sensitive.

Lefty C
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Bear tanning - 11/27/15
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
Who bought alpha fur? I know Gary was running himself ragged with that place.

His employees.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Bear tanning - 11/27/15
Hope things have turned around at Alpha. I always got a good product back from them but it was always a struggle to get Gary to take in my hides. Told me in September one year that I shouldn't bother getting the two brown bears my dad and I killed tanned because they weren't prime? Who cares, we weren't selling them and weren't arguing prices or anything.

My wife took the hide from her first caribou to have it tanned for a throw and he literally told her she was crazy because caribou hides weren't worth anything.

I took him a blackbear skin on May 23rd that I'd shot on the 21st. He said it was much too late in the year and the hide wasn't any good even though it has 5" hair thick as sheep's wool?

Every time I talked him into doing it but it was like pulling teeth to get him to take them, even with money up front
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Bear tanning - 11/28/15
Good for them. I know Gary has been burnt out for years. It doesn't excuse bad business but I'm glad he's done with it.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Bear tanning - 11/28/15
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Steve

My co worker sent one out that he whacked last week. He sent it out on Friday and it'll be back within the week.

Must not have much work if they turn around that quickly. Thats almost a bad sign, but I"ve not dealt with them yet....

Its actually almost hard to get a hide done in a week, time line wise, with salting, pickling, shaving, pickling, shaving, tanning, oiling etc... but it could be done.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Bear tanning - 11/30/15
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Steve

Must not have much work if they turn around that quickly. Thats almost a bad sign, but I"ve not dealt with them yet....

Its actually almost hard to get a hide done in a week, time line wise, with salting, pickling, shaving, pickling, shaving, tanning, oiling etc... but it could be done.

We did all the fleshing and it was nearly dry from hanging it in the shed with the woodstove going before sending it out. We did salt it on their request. The only thing they did was turn the ears a little better than we did.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Bear tanning - 11/30/15
It still has to go to pickle, shave, pickle, shave, soak in a tan, soak in the oil etc... thats not one days work.

Yes it can be done. Its sure not normal though.

Maybe so far ahead of others that they were just firing up for the season though. Thats always possible.

The quickest I can do it on my own is about 3-4 days. Assuming salted to start with.
© 24hourcampfire