Home
Posted By: shootsacreed Hypothetical Question - 01/19/16
If one was to move to Alaska, what part of the state offers the greatest hunting opportunities without the need for an airplane ride to access it, or doesn't that exist?
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Hypothetical Question - 01/19/16
Depends on how far you can walk.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Hypothetical Question - 01/19/16
What species do you want to hunt?

Not all species can be found in all parts of the state, so narrow down your species.

SE with a good boat wouldn't suck.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Hypothetical Question - 01/19/16
Moving to AK for the hunting is not the way to go... the hunting is not nearly what we all used to hear... in fact there is less game than I ever expected to see.

What is there, though, at times can be concentrated.

Moving to fish, thats the ticket!

But as watch noted... how far do you want to or can walk. How many ATVs do you own or want to.

Where we are moving, south of Fairbanks is good for sheep, moose, caribou and bears but hours and hours from blacktails and salt fishing.

The further from civilization obviously the less people you see. Which is our goal as best we can. I don't mind not seeing game, I do mind seeing people.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Hypothetical Question - 01/19/16
Originally Posted by rost495
How many ATVs do you own or want to.

Or can stand having around.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Hypothetical Question - 01/19/16
or have tags for... LOL... i never win that tag lottery....
Posted By: shootsacreed Re: Hypothetical Question - 01/19/16
Gentlemen asked and answered Alaska is a no go, kind of what I figured but there is no crime in asking. Thanks for the insight. I would be relocating for a job not so much just for hunting.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Hypothetical Question - 01/19/16
It's not a no go, it's a complicated answer. Depending on what tags you draw you can hunt moose, black bear, dall sheep, and mountain goats within 1/2 hour drive of Anchorage. Add a couple more hours to the drive and you'll be in range of various caribou herds as well as brown bear. The bigger question is what are the odds of drawing those tags, some are over the counter tags but what are the odds of being successful in those hunts?

If you want to be successful hunting big game in Alaska you need to put in the time and money and most likely buy a specialized vehicle to access game which could be boats, 4 wheelers or a plane. Then again there are also areas that are closed to power vehicles where if you're willing to burn shoe leather to get away from the roads you can also be successful.

Posted By: rost495 Re: Hypothetical Question - 01/20/16
at least its not all in one area... that would concentrate the folks worse. LOL

If moving for a job, which you didn't state to start with, then whats most important on the hunting list or fishing list... what climate can you handle and so on....

Then you narrow it down vs job opportunities... and what areas is a job possible? Teaching could be ANYWHERE... other jobs not so much...
Posted By: VernAK Re: Hypothetical Question - 01/20/16
Does the job come with a choice of locations?
Posted By: 458Win Re: Hypothetical Question - 01/20/16
Since you only mentioned no flying and didn't specify no boat I would say the SE panhandle or Kodiak might suit your requirements
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Hypothetical Question - 01/20/16
Originally Posted by shootsaswede
If one was to move to Alaska, what part of the state offers the greatest hunting opportunities without the need for an airplane ride to access it, or doesn't that exist?

Strictly within those requirements... anywhere within the road system.

If you are talking "local", then the story changes. Currently a resident in Homer can drive to the Brooks and hunt sheep every year, although it would be a nicer drive from FBKS. There are registration (no drawing) goat tags on the road system. Grizz tags are free, and not even needed in some areas.

There is a book published by Fish and Game that goes into significant detail on what you can hunt where, when and how.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-f...BC0B38917791C11/regulations_complete.pdf
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/06/16
SE with a good boat and you can slay deer, goat, bear (black & brown), elk and moose.

Living where there is a good deer population would be a must for me.
© 24hourcampfire