Home
Want to fish for halibut down on the Kenai peninsula from Soldotna to Homer. Want good halibut but not necessarily trophy halibut. Ned a good recommendation to contact and perhaps book. Thanks for the help. MTG
Give Boo Kandas a call. His operation is Tall Tale charters. Nice boat and very experienced.
Just a heads up that the halibut biomass is on the decline. If you want nice halibut then pick a charter that will make the run out to where the nice fish are. So out of Homer a boat that will take you outside the bay or to the barrens, or take a charter out of Seward that will take you to Montague.

Don't expect good fish if fishing in closer.
This is good advice
Went out of Homer with North Country Charters on a combo, (salmon/halibut) early May, great trip, but that was @ 10 years ago. Last year we went out of Seward for mentioned reasons, Crackerjack is excellent, would advise Seward over Homer, but do your homework and decide what works for you. Good luck.
Out of Seward go to Miller's Landing (ask for the boat Chance is running) or the Fish House (the Proficiency is the better boat). Stay away from Saltwater Safari. A search should find their legal issues which will tell you what kind of prick the captain is.

How about our own DaninAlaska? --- Mel
Ninilchik Charters (http://ninilchik.com/) located between Homer and Soldotna. My wife and I went out with them and a great day last summer. We are looking forward to going back in 2017.
I had a GREAT time fishing with Dan. Can't recommend him enough. If he's available, I'd consider it a no-brainer.
Originally Posted by olblue
How about our own DaninAlaska? --- Mel

He post here? I want to do a halibut charter myself this year.
Dan used to drive for J&J Smart charters in Ninilchik. Not any more though.

PM him for a reco.
Dan just leased a charter license for the coming season...
Originally Posted by bearstalker
[quote=olblue]How about our own DaninAlaska? --- Mel

He post here? I want to do a halibut charter myself this year. [/quote year]

Yeah that's his "screen name" PM him
--- Mel
Only go with him if you want to have a good time though. I can say from personal experience he's a good captain and a lot of fun.
Wear shin guards...

wink
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Wear shin guards...

wink

Not to start a pile on or anything....but...

grin

The reel truth is, Dan's a heck of a nice guy.
You would be in good hands, and he will put you on fish.
Thanks for all of the kind words, fellas. I have taken a bunch of you guys fishing over the years. I know I had fun, but it's nice to hear that you enjoyed the trips, too.....for the most part.

In my defense, Mark, the current boat is much bigger, so I've got more room to swing that fish bat. I have since put a laser site on it, a Limbsaver De-Resonator, and some tactical stickers. I think it's dialed in, now, but I still wear a helmet - I've been "me" for so long, I guess I'm just used to it. grin

I ran charters for J&J Smart Charters for six seasons, and filled in on part-time basis after my kids were born. We secured our own Charter Halibut Permit for the 2016 season, chartering our boat from July 1 - August 15 and select weekends through the end of the season. We'll be based out J&J's campground, in Ninilchik.

With Rick's blessing, I'll post a little information for you here and a link to our website if you are interested in more. Our boat is a 28-ft Koffler, powered by twin Yamaha 225 four-strokes:
[Linked Image]

This is our first season independently running halibut charters, so we are in the process of gearing up with new rods, reels, tackle, fresh line, and other equipment. We have the conventional stand-up rods for running heavy sinkers, necessary for the tidal currents of Cook Inlet, but when the tide slows, we'll break out the jigging rods. If you've never caught halibut on light tackle before, it's nothing to miss!
[Linked Image]

Here's a photo of me and Dad from last season:
[Linked Image]

Our new fleet of Avet reels, just waiting for some worthy fish:
[Linked Image]

In addition to the halibut charters, we are offering clamming trips this season. The beaches at Clam Gulch and Ninilchik are closed again this year, but the clams on the west side of Cook Inlet are big and plentiful:
[Linked Image]

For those interested, feel free to check out the website and drop us an e-mail or give us a call. Be sure to let me know you're a 24hr Campfire member! We'd be happy to get you out fishing.
www.seekingadventures.net

[Linked Image]

Thanks,
Dan

Sign me up Dan....and that bat needs to be AI'd, huh?

Perhaps a 24HCF trip on 'less-than-lumpy' water!
Danged if this isn't perfect timing, was going to PM both you guys tonight,(Dan & Mike). We have a place rented outside of Soldotna for most of Sept., will talk to you both before then.
Sweet boat Dan, top of the line gear too. Here's to a good season!

Go get 'em guys!

[Linked Image]

I've been thinking about uncovering the boat - if only so we can get a big dump of snow to keep the ski area open.
Hey Dan, nice to see you post!
The Seeker is a lot nicer boat with a bigger cockpit. There's more room to maneuver. Plus I lost 35 lbs. and it should help me be more elusive. grin
Besides, I'm dumb or tough enough to come back for more.
The laser sight doesn't scare me but the De-resonator had me worried.
If things work out right we will be calling you for a charter this summer.

To the OP, be sure and give Dan a call. all kidding aside they are great folks and will take good care of you.
You carry a but out tool on the new boat.. LOL..

Is season still open late Sept?
Originally Posted by rost495
You carry a but out tool on the new boat.. LOL..

And lots of blue tape...

Originally Posted by rost495
Is season still open late Sept?

Yes! If you have the time and interest, we should be able to find a way to get you out fishing, when you're up for your hunting trip.

The Deep Creek launch is shut down by then, but we can go out of Whittier. Late season halibut fishing in Prince William Sound can be really good, depending on the weather (of course).

Otherwise, there should be some silvers on the Kenai in late September. A friend, and fellow Campfire member, has a SWEET Kenai River boat, and he got me hooked on the late season silver fishing last year - cast and retrieve with light tackle, what a hoot!
Lemme check with Carolyn, its likely to be only a one day shot and if the weather isn't good, thats just how it is...

Won't know till later as don't have dates decided yet

Jeff
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska

Otherwise, there should be some silvers on the Kenai in late September. A friend, and fellow Campfire member, has a SWEET Kenai River boat, and he got me hooked on the late season silver fishing last year - cast and retrieve with light tackle, what a hoot!

Do I know that guy? wink
Yup, pretty sure! grin
Kenai... in the summer sucks...LOL.

But we were able to fish it for silvers in the 80s in September... it was very peaceful there, even if we only caught 3 that day they were all just over 20 each....
You mean some of this?

https://youtu.be/R8DBJW-L7g8

Thats the good stuff, not shoulder to shoulder, boat to boat...

Awesome. Contrats Dan.
© 24hourcampfire