Home
ANCHORAGE –

It’s a diverse coalition of some well-known Alaskans that’s calling on lawmakers to act now: The “Alaska’s Future” campaign kicked off Tuesday in an effort to save the state from financial ruin down the road. Coalition members include GCI President Ron Duncan and former Gov. Tony Knowles.

On Thursday, Helvi Sankvik, president and CEO of the Nana corporation, and Vince Beltrami, Alaska AFL-CIO president, both members of the coalition, joined Daybreak to talk about the campaign and how using a portion of the Permanent Fund earnings could help pay for services such as health care, education and public safety.

“We have a real serious crisis — $3.5 billion budget deficit,” Sankvik said. “We need to make some hard decisions. It’s not popular to talk about the Permanent Fund earnings, but we think it’s necessary and we think if we speak out now and we help educate people, folks down in Juneau will recognize that it’s safe to take some deep steps.”

The coalition encourages the Legislature to act sooner, rather than later.

“What we’re trying to do is empower the Legislature to take a bold step,” Sankvik said. “And we believe citizens ought to be telling the legislators, ‘you have my permission to do this, it’s safe to do that.’ We’re asking folks to sign on, contact their legislators, let them know that we want them to deal with this crisis this year. We cannot afford to wait. It will get worse and eventually our PFD program will go away and the state will go in to a serious economic decline.”

http://www.ktva.com/alaskas-future-campaign-448/
here is a great idea to bring in revenue... Let's say we start a dairy in oh I don't know the mat valley and oh I don't know pour millions into it and before you know it we have money coming out of our asses...
We can feed the cows Delta barley.
Surcharge on tourists, up the taxes on mining and fishing! Actually the mining does need to go up a bit on the big operations
The permanent fund is managed by David Rubenstein of the Carlyle Group; who is married to Alice Rogoff, who owns alaska dispatch.

Alice is the gal who had obama over for dinner when he was here.

Democrats working with democrats who manage and own the media. Were screwed.

http://www.alaskagop.org/ktuu_report_raises_important_questions_regarding_influence_peddling
Help me out here....Is the Gov. a Dem or a member of the Grand Old Party?
There you go again! How could Walker be anything but a Dem? Notice his actions? Mallott for VP? Medicare expansion? Secret deals? And one could go on and on...

Are you really that clueless? It must be an act.

Originally Posted by Sitka deer
There you go again! How could Walker be anything but a Dem? Notice his actions? Mallott for VP? Medicare expansion? Secret deals? And one could go on and on...

I understand what you are saying but it is just like the current GOP front runner. Cartman/Trump has all of the history of a very liberal DEM but the Base is claiming him as a died in the wool conservative...... Can you say paradox?

That's rhetorical, right?
Originally Posted by northwestalaska
...Trump has all of the history of a very liberal DEM but the Base is claiming him as a died in the wool conservative......

Who is making such claims?
Help me out here....Is the Gov. a Dem or a member of the Grand Old Party?

Independent Walt Jesus don't you pay attention when you vote... Hell you might be out of a gig if they keep cutting school funding ah maybe you should pay property taxes poor walt

I understand what you are saying but it is just like the current GOP front runner. Cartman/Trump has all of the history of a very liberal DEM but the Base is claiming him as a died in the wool conservative...... Can you say paradox?

I thought he was the Manchurian candidate?? You know hand the victory to Clinton oh wait a second looks like ol Hillary might be doing some plea deals
NWA's obsession with Trump is laughable.

Always avoiding the elephant in the room "O" who has
driven the national debt up trillions, imperiled us with Iran, destroyed our economy to a 'part-time' job existence, trashed our Law Enforcement, trashed our vets,....the slime-filled list goes on.
And Hillary, who should be indicted... he is strangely silent on these cretins and yet talking about Trump.

It's laughable.
Originally Posted by las
Surcharge on tourists, up the taxes on mining and fishing! Actually the mining does need to go up a bit on the big operations

Mining is hurting right now , although some would love to see them all gone loosing them right now would only compound the "oil crisis." I have heard lots of folks say things like "they have all kinds of money" but it takes a lot of capital to operate. I would encourage them rather than penalize them.

I can say paradox... even in WaltSpeak...
"I make money from hunters and voted for Obama."
"JeffO and I are the Real Americans."

Look up "entitlement paradox" and see right where you fit in. How you can circulate enough oxygen to walk yet not enough to think is another paradox...

Originally Posted by las
I doubt that will happen, that seems to be AK's bread n butter.
© 24hourcampfire