Home
I was wondering which ammo is being used for protection against big bears. I would just like to know what ammo you use?
I've been packing the Garret's 310-gr Superhardcast Hammerheads in my 44 and their 420-gr in my 45-70. They aren't cheap but they will do the job when needed.
I roll my own for my .44blk hawk , but I have used these,factory loads (cloeses ive found to my load) >
http://www.luckygunner.com/44-mag-270-gr-jhp-speer-gold-dot-hunting-20-rounds ,if you can hit it ...it dies! lol
I used to use 310s in the 329 PD, 44 mag. Dropped down to hard cast 270s. A bit easier on the gun and me if ever needed, don't think the differnece in weight is going to be an issue if it ever came to that, the ability to get a 2nd AIMED shot off might be more important anyway.

In a big heavy iron that weighs like a rifle, like the redhawk, I'd be using the heaviest bullets IMHO.. the gun and you can take it due to the weight of the gun

I won't be shooting jacketed anything unless total FMJ types for dangerous stuff.

The HPs and SPs these days work really great though on non dangerous stuff, IE not reuqired stopping rounds.
I've used Buffalo Bore ammo for years. For your 454 Toklat I'd go with Buffalo Bore ammo 45 Colt 325 LBTLFNGC instead of the 454 ammo. It will do the same thing, and you can get back on target quicker. For the 44 Mag I've used both the 305 and the 340 grain LBTLFN GC, I'm good with the 305. Like has been mentioned Buffalo Bores ammo for 45-70 is amazing with 430 gr. L.B.T.-L.F.N. Do that and you are good to go, IF YOU CAN HIT WHAT YOU ARE AIMING AT.
(If you can hit it ...it dies! lol-----you are good to go, IF YOU CAN HIT WHAT YOU ARE AIMING AT.)........well that sums up this thread!
Originally Posted by atvalaska
(If you can hit it ...it dies! lol-----you are good to go, IF YOU CAN HIT WHAT YOU ARE AIMING AT.)........well that sums up this thread!

That's a big thing. It's the only thing. Fact is a high percentage of guys can't. That's why most guys carry a rifle.

http://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2014/7/15/video-the-454-casull-challenge/ Courtesy of Max P.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
I was wondering which ammo is being used for protection against big bears. I would just like to know what ammo you use?

The kind that fits a rifle.
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by atvalaska

That's a big thing. It's the only thing. Fact is a high percentage of guys can't. That's why most guys carry a rifle.

http://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2014/7/15/video-the-454-casull-challenge/ Courtesy of Max P.

Comment on the video -

Old guy showed 'em...

:-)
The colt 45 is a lot easier on the hands when practicing. .454 has a kick to them but at 1800 ft lbs I believe they would get the bears attention.
Thanks for the inputs. I will have to try some of the suggestions.
I like the one with the bear silhouette on a wagon/trailer coming by you at 35 miles per hour. Mark a line where to start shooting when the bear crosses the line. If you can shoot the bear 5 or 6 times your good. Most people get 1 to 2 shots with the second shot pretty wild. You can try it with a rifle too. A lot of fun to see how you buddies do too. Please observe all the safety rules.

Good training.
I wish I could figure out how to do that at home here, for practice.... it would be fun/interesting and have the ability to learn at the same time.
Did not have a grizzly bear target but we used a quad with a trailer on a level dirt area. Only tried it once and it worked ok. Just have to trust people and be careful.
need one coming too you, not past you, to be realistic for defense.

I was trying to figure out a zip line type and I may still get it figured out...
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Did not have a grizzly bear target but we used a quad with a trailer on a level dirt area. Only tried it once and it worked ok. Just have to trust people and be careful.

That whole statement screams "careful".
Fugging nuts!!! is the scream I hear from it...
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

THIS, someone is going to get hurt.
I though I didn't read that right.

Holy crap.
yeeeehaaawwww!!!
it's better if it's bouncing,
Its better if I'm the one shooting, not the one riding the wheeler.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

....and muted utterances of Darwin.
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
yeeeehaaawwww!!!

Next thing you know he'll be asking advice about moving to Fairbanks.
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
yeeeehaaawwww!!!

Next thing you know he'll be asking advice about moving to Fairbanks.

blush

He'll fit right in
Salcha.
I saw photos from in China... my friend was invited to shoot with their military on a base in a match some years ago..

Showed me the pictures, and I forget the distance. But the guys were shooting AKs freehand, and the targets where there, and the shot spotters stood still, right NEXT to the targets. You shot, they pointed with a stick to the location. Then you shot again...
If anyone comes up with a way to have the target come at you and it is safe for everyone I would like to hear how it is done. I figure a bear can move about 30 miles an hour. Depending on how close the bear is he could be on you in 2-3 seconds. Maybe faster if he is closer. I lot of people here in the lower 48 just do not understand how fast that is.
How about a radio controlled car? 30 is slow for them.
That might work. The ATV thing, with a long enough rope/cable could easily work, as long as the ATV starts behind the shooter and pulls away from the shooter further, as it drags the target closer.

But I like the remote control. FIgure out how to not hit the car... should be a good thought of a way to do it.

I'd also think a lightly inclined zip line and something hanging on ball bearing type rollers or such coming at you could be an OK deal too.
Radio controlled big wheel truck with target attached to the top of it. Now I have to get one of my buddies to buy one. Just from trying to do this reject I have found out who I want to back me up and who not to. You would be surprised the reactions. It is only a paper target.
For those who would like to try this.

http://www.targettracker.net/shop/

only 3000 bucks. LOL
Early 80's we won a permit to hunt on Kodiak, we make a bear and put him on a sled looped around a tree or two ,one guy would run with rope behind the shooter, pulling the sledbear ,by moving the shooter u could do a lot of diiernt angles... Worked good …...
I've not tried this, but often think of it. Throw a nerf football to the top of a steep hill (like a gravel pit). Shooter has to hit it coming towards him fast and bouncing unpredictably.
© 24hourcampfire