Home
Also on Hunters Campfire

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2016/06/10/video-innovative-float-plane-takeoff/
I"d swear they talked about doing that same thing off the Aniak runway circa 2003 when I was out there.

But maybe I heard it wrong...
Now the real trick is the landing...😉
^ What he said ^ LOL
I posted the other thread in the campfire section.

My first question was: how did that 185 get to that airport?

I'm guessing the trailer it took off from ...
That's not uncommon at all. I've done it maybe 20 times myself. The plane might of landed there on wheels and had the floats installed or it might of landed there on the floats in some turf or something, maybe snow. Won't hurt them at all. It's not done in normal operations, but it's not uncommon after getting floats installed.
Originally Posted by Alaskajim
That's not uncommon at all. I've done it maybe 20 times myself. The plane might of landed there on wheels and had the floats installed or it might of landed there on the floats in some turf or something, maybe snow. Won't hurt them at all. It's not done in normal operations, but it's not uncommon after getting floats installed.

I saw that plane last summer on floats in northern SK. Looked it over pretty good and I think it's had floats on it for some time.
What is the take off speed? About 75 mph?
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
What is the take off speed? About 75 mph?

I was wondering too.
lots of small planes rotate around 60ish knots. I"d think the drag of floats would up that.

But its been a while since I"ve been on a float plane I don't recall.

75 would make sense to me as being in the ball park.
I will tell you after this next week.

I'm thinking around 80.
Vr for a 185 is 55, even with amphib floats.

Got that from an article about a 185 on amphib floats.
interesting. I'd have thought due to drag would have to be more.....

Which just says I"ve not yet had time to do flight school either... LOL
It looks like the plane was just sitting on the trailer without any tethers or some device to release once it attained "launch sped".
so the tiny bit I know... plane ain't light to start with. Ain't going to come off with flaps and controls set correctly.

Once speed is reached the pilot pulls the yoke to change airflow and the plane is flying.

Originally Posted by bigwhoop
It looks like the plane was just sitting on the trailer without any tethers or some device to release once it attained "launch sped".

If you look closely, in the early part of the video while "taxiing" there are straps across the front of the float. Once they're on the runway, they're gone.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Now the real trick is the landing...😉

Yeah, that may be rough... laugh
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Vr for a 185 is 55, even with amphib floats.

Got that from an article about a 185 on amphib floats.

That's 55 KIAS
© 24hourcampfire