Home
Posted By: rost495 Merino Wool - 08/29/16
NO rush RE opinions, I was about to order a set for CArolyn and I, I missed that part of my notes from last year...

We've done smartwool, and Carolyn is sensitive to wool, but smart wool works.

Evidently its been some time since we ordered and didn't realize the bottoms were 100 bucks these days.

I don't mind spending money, but just wanted to see if there were better options, not always dollar wise but quality wise.

If smart wool is still "top of the line" IE good quality and all, we'll order some when we get back, or maybe drop into SW in Wasilla on the way home if we have time etc...

But looking for opinions. I know I did buy another brand once of merino, it was cheaper, don't recall the name, but it was certainly a bit itchier and Carolyn didn't care much for it.

Thanks for any input.

Jeff
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: Merino Wool - 08/29/16
Not an Alaskan by a far stretch, but I have been buying First Light stuff whenever I catch it on sale. Midway has had end of season clearances on lots of First Light stuff over the past couple of years. Its good stuff. Its what I wear on any of my out of state hunting / camping trips. It really softens up after a wash. Though itchiness is pretty subjective...good luck finding whatever works for her.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Merino Wool - 08/29/16
Jeff, check Core4Element, I know they have merino wool base layers just not sure about size.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Merino Wool - 08/29/16
Why core4? Price? softness? longevity?

Off to google.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Merino Wool - 08/29/16
I've got a couple of pieces of base layer merino wool garments and they've held up well for about 3-4 years now. Price was pretty good too.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Merino Wool - 08/29/16
cool, thanks, price was sure better than 100 a piece. I guess we got likely 10 years out of the smart wool so not a bad deal...
Posted By: bwinters Re: Merino Wool - 08/29/16
Another vote for First Lite. I have several pieces and like it alot. I've also bought some Icebreaker and have been happy with it.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Merino Wool - 08/29/16
I've layered KUIU's Merino wool from Alaska to New Mexico - great stuff.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Merino Wool - 08/29/16
First Lite is amazing stuff. I take it to some bad places in really bad weather and I won't hunt with another type of base layer.

It is expensive but its worth it.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Merino Wool - 08/30/16
I've got a set of woolpower used to be called ulfrotte. Good stuff. I don't notice any itch.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Merino Wool - 08/30/16
The Minus 33 stuff has been great for me.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Merino Wool - 08/30/16
I've had the smartwool and the ice breaker stuff.

I like it all. I think the smart wool is better, but I've been able to find the ice breaker for half at STP.

Posted By: noduck Re: Merino Wool - 08/30/16
Another vote for First lite. If looking for Core4 element i believe Camofire has a lot of Core4 on sale.

Also like Kuiu stuff.

Both brands i dont think are itchy.
Posted By: westside_benny Re: Merino Wool - 08/30/16
Might not help at the moment but a long distance shopper might keep an eye on sierra outdoors. Kind of a clearing house for all kinds of stuff. Ranges from hardcore granola hiking to hunting stuff. Have scored Merino on there 50-70% off several times...but again, not when you want it but when its on sale...depending on the day, any of the brands mentioned might appear.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Merino Wool - 08/30/16
Not an Alaskan now, but

I have an older pair of Thermawool from Terramar, purchased from CampMor I believe. Not sure how their newer stuff stacks up. Mine is 100% merino or close to it. One of their newer products is 70% polyester fleece with merino.

Their website shows merino long bottoms for $35:

http://terramarsports.com/catalog/mens/m-bottoms

Mine have held up for over a decade, numerous hunts down into single digit territory. I have no problem with itching, they work for me as I sweat with synthetics next to my skin.

Good luck,
Geno

PS, keep us informed if you find something nice at a decent price.
Posted By: pipercub Re: Merino Wool - 08/31/16
Ibex...buy it on sale or at the outlet on sale. Top quality
Posted By: rost495 Re: Merino Wool - 08/31/16
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Not an Alaskan now, but

I have an older pair of Thermawool from Terramar, purchased from CampMor I believe. Not sure how their newer stuff stacks up. Mine is 100% merino or close to it. One of their newer products is 70% polyester fleece with merino.

Their website shows merino long bottoms for $35:

http://terramarsports.com/catalog/mens/m-bottoms

Mine have held up for over a decade, numerous hunts down into single digit territory. I have no problem with itching, they work for me as I sweat with synthetics next to my skin.

Good luck,
Geno

PS, keep us informed if you find something nice at a decent price.

Thanks! This will have a year to accomplish... terramar is the cheaper brand now that you mentioned the name I rmeember, it was more itchy than smartwool FWIW. DIdn't bother me any though. Carolyn was sensitive to it though.

Silk is the other thing we'll have to add some to by next year too.
Posted By: powderburner Re: Merino Wool - 09/01/16
Ibex
Is great stuff!!
I love first lite as well, but am wearing holes in them quicker than most.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Merino Wool - 09/01/16
An option might be a thin silk layer under the "cheaper/scratchier" merino layer? That gives one the option of just using the silk in slightly less cold situations.

Good luck again,

Geno
Posted By: 222ai Re: Merino Wool - 09/01/16
I have had asthma and allergies since i was 6 months old,56yrs old now.I could not even be around wool. I started with merino socks and moved on to base layers ages ago Merino wool does not bother me, I met 1 guy on a caribou hunt that merino made him itch but real wool did'nt.
Posted By: LKEYES Re: Merino Wool - 09/02/16
KUIU, Ibex, Firstlite, are all great. Soft comfortable and seem to last a long time if taken care of. Icebreakers, Smartwool, Minus 33 are good as well. But it seems like I buy what ever is on sale when the time comes that I need to replace a piece.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Merino Wool - 09/02/16
I don't mind spending money, but just wanted to see if there were better options, not always dollar wise but quality wise.

I have both Red Ram and Terramar.

The Terramar is medium weight 100% Merino wool and is about the best value. I got mine from CampMor.

The Red Ram stuff is lighter weight......actually it's pretty fahkin thin, but it works well down to about 20* F and is superb for wearing inside a sleeping bag in cooler weather.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Merino Wool - 09/02/16
Originally Posted by Valsdad
An option might be a thin silk layer under the "cheaper/scratchier" merino layer? That gives one the option of just using the silk in slightly less cold situations.

Good luck again,

Geno

Silk has been first layer since I can recall... if colder than silk only the wool goes over. She is sensitive....

Been turned onto cashmere recently.. Eyeball many thanks, looking for a used sweater for a top....

Found smartwool in blue for bottoms.. her favorite color... have a year to sort this out as we fly on the 6th and its to late for now...
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Merino Wool - 09/02/16
Enjoy your hunt this year, whatever you end up wearing!

Geno
Posted By: rost495 Re: Merino Wool - 09/03/16
LOL, we are going to enjoy it without new wool this time. Moose and grayling won't mind....
© 24hourcampfire