Home
Posted By: atvalaska Moose tongue.. Yum or none ? - 09/13/16
Got my moose only 45".... BIG body and lots of fat ..lots..., so lots of meat to ! Going off the deep end and cooking the tongue for the 1st time in 30+ years !....I got people in town to ask> but I've had "their" moose head soup and I found "stuff" that a fellow 0'not to cook in it lol ! What do you do?
Had an old friend who used to cuss us if we didn't save him the tongue. Old John was a mountain of a man, and the life of moose camp.

[Linked Image]
my hunting pard, loves moose tongue, I'll eat it, but mucho prefer tenderloins.
oh and congrats Terry, good eating this winter.

If I don't fill I'll be over for supper. (grin)
We went four for four on moose this year and I only kept one tongue... good for variety and makes a really good sandwich.
Leaving the tongue ought to be wanton waste. laugh

I grew up eating beef tongue and thought it was one of the better pieces one could take off from a bovine quadrapod. Anymore, a beef tongue fetches $60 or so out in rural parts of the state however so that's off limits. Moose tongue, however, is always fair game and, while not the fine delicacy which caribou tongue is, we still enjoy it. Boil it, skin it, roast it. Mmmmm....with straight horseradish (or I just put it into soup....)
Moose tougue is always one of my families favorites. It has been my daughter's favorite food since she was 4 years old. She always insisted that all our guides bring in the tongue and I just dropped her and her moose hunting client off in camp this afternoon and I know the tongue will be packed in along with the ribs. then boiled and served cold with horseradish.
We also like the heart boiled with green chilis, jalapanos and tomatoes.
Don't forget the nose either makes a great soup.
Anyone smoke it? (yeah I know, hard to keep lit laugh ) I haven't had the opportunity to try moose tongue but in my youth the local small town butcher, in addition to selling fresh beef tongue, smoked and also pickled it. Some of my favorite eats! Rarely find any tongue for sale now.
I like it cold and sliced with horseradish or with a dash of vinegar and black pepper.
Originally Posted by Tejano
Don't forget the nose either makes a great soup.

Speaking of moose nose ..........

A little coarse language but looks like a great recipe. grin
Posted By: las Re: Moose tongue.. Yum or none ? - 09/14/16
Ain't bad for sandwich meat either.
Best in burritos by my book.
Yum !!!
© 24hourcampfire