Home
Posted By: FishinHank Moose hunt - 09/28/16
My buddy and I both lucked out and drew antlerless moose tags this year. Mine was for the Tatalina river and his the Chatanika river. Started out hunting my tag for 3 days but we didn't see much for fresh sign so we packed up and headed over to hunt his tag. Finally saw a cow the second to last day and my buddy dropped it. Saw a ton of grouse around, was a welcome addition to the mountain houses.

Lots of blueberries this year[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Moose hunt - 09/28/16
Good stuff Hank !

Still got time to get yours too ?

If so, good luck.

There's nothing better than fresh (young) moose meat !
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Moose hunt - 09/28/16
I would have to fly back up again to get mine. I still have plenty of time before the tag ends, just not sure I can get away from work again. I still have 4 deer tags I can fill so I am not super worried about filling my moose tag. My buddy is sending me back with a bunch of meat.
Posted By: Pittu Re: Moose hunt - 09/28/16
It's some pretty dry country that cant cough up a cow in three days of looking!

Makes a guy wonder wtf they are giving out antlerless tags in that area to begin with??? Glad you guys were able to get some meat!
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Moose hunt - 09/28/16
We were wondering the same thing. There was a couple of guys that were just leaving when we showed up and they hadn't seen a single moose in the week prior. The wheeler trails were destroyed and the only moose they saw get killed was brought out by a group of guys on a tracked argo. I guess they went in about 10 or 12 miles. We figured it would be a fairly easy hunt but it proved otherwise. Lots of freshly burned timber in that area might have had something to do with it.
Lots of drawing hunts that seem like they should be fairly easy on paper turn out to be a bitch. BTDT...DC001 falls in that category.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Moose hunt - 09/28/16
Originally Posted by Pittu
Lots of drawing hunts that seem like they should be fairly easy on paper turn out to be a bitch. BTDT...DC001 falls in that category.

Some people that know that and have the means to get in that area are unable to buy a permit! cry
There are ways to get one in there that are not too tough, but you gotta know the secrets smile

My wife and I pulled a dink out of the pass in a day hunt, but you gotta be lucky and persistant.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Moose hunt - 09/28/16
Good deal!
Originally Posted by Pittu
There are ways to get one in there that are not too tough, but you gotta know the secrets smile

My wife and I pulled a dink out of the pass in a day hunt, but you gotta be lucky and persistant.

Oh, i get it. Thanks. I'll just be lucky this time around!
Pard shot a bunch of chickens w/ his .410 peestol on our trip. Everything inside was blue, even the inside of the body cavity.

My 'white' horse rolled and had Purple all over his body! I'll have to look for the picture.
Posted By: huntersdog Re: Moose hunt - 09/29/16
How has the moose population been in that area? I know it's been so so in other parts. Dam wolves.
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Moose hunt - 09/29/16
Not sure. We dropped the first legal animal we saw.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Moose hunt - 09/29/16
Congratulations
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Moose hunt - 09/30/16
Good show. Were you hunting around hard luck creek!

That burn in your pix looks more recent than the hard luck fire ?
Posted By: VernAK Re: Moose hunt - 10/01/16
Damned cranes have been crapping blue berry syrup all over my truck.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Moose hunt - 10/01/16
Lol

Hope you're having a great fall Vernesto
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Moose hunt - 10/03/16
Congratulations on a cow moose. I hope you get another.
Some good eats.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Moose hunt - 10/04/16
Good job Hank. Always like to see AK pics.....takes me back to a great time in my life.
© 24hourcampfire