Home
Posted By: ironbender It Don't Suck Living Here! - 10/18/16

[Linked Image]

About half an hour ago. They've been hanging around nearly two months.
Posted By: 79S Re: It Don't Suck Living Here! - 10/18/16
How is the Kenai moose population doing these days Mike? When I was up their this summer sawcalot of cows with twins..
15C is doing pretty well because of fires over the past 10-15 years or so.

15B will recover after the 200,000 acre Funny River fire two years ago. It just ain't there yet.

15A contains a lot of KNWR (the agency of "NO"*) and will be the most difficult to gain a decent population. Difficult access, no fires, lots of brown bears.

No idea about 7.

* The agency of "NO"...
No 'aerial ungulate enhancement (AKA wolf control)' on KNWR; beside, the problem is bears not wolves.

Ok, need a bear hunt; NO, people come here to see bears. Can't kill them. Beside, the real problem is habitat succession. OK, lets, crush and/or burn.

NO prescribed burns because that makes smoke in Anchorage.

No, No, and um, No.

in fairness, we do have a brown bear season now.
Yeah, a brown bear season that was wildly successful the first year because the population is far higher than they will accept... so they keep shutting it down every time it looks like it might do some good.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Yeah, a brown bear season that was wildly successful the first year because the population is far higher than they will accept... so they keep shutting it down every time it looks like it might do some good.

And as you may know, the KNWR chief biologist that was in charge of the DNA study is a freaking bird biologist. Nothing against bird biologists, but my analogy is that having him run the brown bear study was like going to an OB/GYN for a toothache. Wrong specialty.

On top of that, after the first season with ~70 kills, he modeled the population with an 'extinction' program. Guess what? The model showed the population crashing bigly.

Bias much?
Posted By: 79S Re: It Don't Suck Living Here! - 10/18/16
Unit 7 needs a big fire as well yes it would suck but it's needed.. far as the Feds they are idiots
Originally Posted by ironbender

And as you may know, the KNWR chief biologist that was in charge of the DNA study is a freaking bird biologist. Nothing against bird biologists, but my analogy is that having him run the brown bear study was like going to an OB/GYN for a toothache. Wrong specialty.

On top of that, after the first season with ~70 kills, he modeled the population with an 'extinction' program. Guess what? The model showed the population crashing bigly.

Bias much?

An OB/Gyn would know some of them have TEETH!!!!

wink
I think you get my point.

Anyway, BP has dropped a bit. This was just to post a fun pic of cow/calf about a dozen steps from my garage door.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: It Don't Suck Living Here! - 10/18/16
Aw... hell nah! Cool pic.

The little paddle bull I put up a picture of the other day decided to spend the night in the yard last night. Then two more moose (yearlings) wandered in, and then a bear wandered in and chased off the twins. It was a busy night, and I'm not even touching your medical analogy.

Originally Posted by cwh2

The little paddle bull I put up a picture of the other day decided to spend the night in the yard last night. Then two more moose (yearlings) wandered in, and then a bear wandered in and chased off the twins. It was a busy night, and I'm not even touching your medical analogy.

Medical analogies can be fun to tickle... really!
Originally Posted by cwh2

Medical analogies can be fun to tickle... really!

Only if you can find them ;-)
Not going THERE!!!

wink
Y'all keep it up and I'm gonna get my pitchfork and pan handle.
Beginning of last week this young fella decided to hang out with us for a bit. Had to shoo him away so my kid could get in the house after school.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ironbender
Y'all keep it up and I'm gonna get my pitchfork and pan handle.

They were still running that piece in July...
[Linked Image]
I'll see your window shot sir!

[Linked Image]
And raise a moose on the grill shot.

[Linked Image]
Thems pretty sweet, but do you have a moose-totem combination shot?

[Linked Image]

or an "oh chit" shot?

[Linked Image]

Mines are docile!

[Linked Image]
See? Don't he look happy know that forks were legal the year before but not this time?

[Linked Image]
Respect the electrons!

[Linked Image]
That is a good looking young bull. He's even trimmed his dewlap.

We do not shock our moose. We found it makes the meat tough. grin
You're probably scaring them to death!
grin
Posted By: rong Re: It Don't Suck Living Here! - 10/21/16
That's pretty cool,
Kinda neat having them in your yard..
It is.

it gets considerably less cool when one has to fight them for the hay to feed the horses.
They take care of my weeding

[Linked Image]

IB, please keep the meese off your loaner canoe!
Yes sir.

Actually I had to move it as it was where I will have to drop a couple trees next spring. now I won't have to dig it out ASSuming we get a normal snowfall.
© 24hourcampfire